Trailer Star or Barker Tongue Jack?

Hi all. We are new owners of a 2013 North Trail 28 brs which has a Trailer Star power tongue jack. Our old trailer, which we still own (for now) has a Barker High Power 3000 jack on it. We are undecided if we should keep the Trailer Star or swap it for the Barker. If both were new the Barker would be the no brainer choice but the Barker is 8 years old and shows obvious wear (and yellowed plastic parts) whereas the TS is only 2.5 years old and looks new save for some rusted screws. So, seeking input regarding which is the most reliable choice going forward. Thanks for any help!

weekender01

Both of the jacks are going to be out warranty so honestly I woul dgo with the newer jack. I have a Barker and it has been great, but I would think some of the gears may be getting some wear on them.

Yeah, my Barker has been great too. That's why I'm thinking of staying with it. It would look kinda funky on the newer trailer though. If I get around to it I think I'll take the housing apart on each one and look for water intrusion. Water in the works would be a big negative.

Thanks for your reply.

pegmikef

My only experience is with the Barker. Used the same one on both my TTs for 30k plus miles, but it was only four years old when I switched to a fiver. The case was sun-yellowed, but it always worked great and would run just fine off my booster battery when the trailer battery had died a couple of times.

Last edited:

MikeR

I'd also go with the Barker. Both of my travel trailers had Barker tongue jacks. I don't know about Trailer Star, but Barker products are made in USA (Michigan) and replacement parts are readily available.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I always wanted to put a power jack on both of the bumper pulls we had . . . but I figured that cranking by hand was the physical therapy for my rotator cuff issues! :rolleyes: