Brand new 2014 Prowler Lynx 27X and I'm already modifying!!! LED Brakelight retrofit

MotoLynx27x

We'll guys and gals, I have to preface this story with a little tidbit about myself. I have a condition called "modificateopia" which basically means that I cannot leave well enough alone most times. Modifying is in my blood and doctors have been unable to rid it from my system with transfusions and the lot. So I'm stuck with the insatiable desire to upgrade. So without further ado, here is my little write up about the LED mods I've been working on with my week and a half old 27X.

Ok, Bargman seems to be the standard supplier of taillights for many TTs, popup campers, fifth wheels and so on. They are cheaply made, quick to produce, and easy for RV manufacturers to install on the assembly line. However, I seriously doubt the guy who designed the Bargman taillight on my camper thought twice about designing a taillight with a white backplate. He must have thought "hmm, it's red and white and has a bulb. works for me!" without any consideration for sun washout and overall lens performance. When I picked up my camper the first thing I thought to myself was "these things have got to go!"

so, I went online and purchased four of the new GloLight Led. Oval STT lamps
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/web/291065911133_1_0_1/1000x1000.jpg
They are very very bright and look great!

i also had a pair of double oval STT surface mount adaptor plates in white lying around that I used to mount the lights to the trailer without cutting large holes. I admit they are not as clean as flush mounting the STT ovals but I knew I made the right choice when I pulled the old Bargmans off and discovered some hideous looking jagged cut outs for the original tail light wiring.

So I mounted the white surface adaptors, drilled and mounted the new LEDs and connected up the wiring

At the same time I got out the ladder and changed all of the marker lights to LEDs as well, so the load on my truck's alternator/battery is a bit less thanks to changing to LED.

Low intensity parking lights on. Notice the red oval ring. Pretty cool eh?
39cc98fe338ea4a5e917bb007476d483.jpg

Brakes applied. Crap that's bright!
de9feb88438aad8ba9809d42fe68d7dc.jpg

Closeup of the retina-burning power!
e15126ba8c2bd22e755252a2a538262b.jpg

This is before I added white silicone sealant. The housings were a little dusty.
c0c3f7c860f32adaf630b27434111d00.jpg

Comparison on between the new LEDS on the left and the original Bargman incandescent on the right. Brakes applied. Which one do you think is safer?
b4eec29abca74a6eda8115922073c8af.jpg

Here we are on the way back home from our camping trip to Garner SP in ConCan TX. This was taken before the taillight upgrade.
0232f71cfa8aa324d1e2d5a00cc161d7.jpg

Well well that's it for now. I have changed all the interior bulbs to ultra bright LEDs for about $20 and that really helps when boon docking! I'll post pics of that swap soon.

enjoy. And in case I don't see ya, Good afternoon, good evening & good night!"

jimtoo

Hi MotoLynx27x,

Welcome to the Heartland family. We got a great bunch of folks here and all willing to share knowledge when needed.

We hope to see you sometime... not to far from you. We are in the big city of George West. Hope to make the Santo Rally,, but not sure yet... maybe you could join us and meet lots good folks.

Enjoy the forum... and the lights are bright. :)

Jim M

HornedToad

I like this very practical upgrade to your families safety on the road.

"modificateopia"... if you find a support group or seven step program, let us know!!!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
" modificateopia"... if you find a support group or seven step program, let us know!!!
Yes, please! I find though, that the condition becomes more aggressive when you have extra cash in your pocket. For me, that's a good reason to go golfing. It keeps modificateopia somewhat at bay. When we first purchased the BH, the disease was very apparent for a few years but now it's easier to control. :cool:

jbeletti

Moto,

Awesome mod. Support group? Heck no, I want to join the "Modificateopia" club :) Hey man, time to join the Heartland Owners Club and show off that bad ... Prowler. I'll be at the Santo, TX and Durant, OK rallies - would like to meet you and see that rig.

BobX2

"Well that's it for now. I have changed all the interior bulbs to ultra bright LEDs for about $20 and that really helps when boon docking! I'll post pics of that swap soon.
enjoy. And in case I don't see ya, Good afternoon, good evening & goodnight!"

Would you share with the rest of us where you were able to find all the interior LED replacement bulbs for only $20. I also have a thing for LED's, but the price to replace my incandescent bulbs is a bit daunting. Most of my camping is boon docking and this is a great mod. I'm into it for about $180 for four replacement fixtures so far. 2 "bulbs" are about the same price as one fixture around here. The tail light swap is also fairly high on my priority list. Have done that with every trailer I have owned. Does that mean that I have some sort of "opia" as well?

alex00

I'm a huge fan of the led tail light mod. I saw those glolights awhile back and really liked them. They look awesome on your trailer. Keep posting pics of your mods. As a fellow sufferer I've found that living vicariously through other's mods helps pass the time.

MotoLynx27x

"Well that's it for now. I have changed all the interior bulbs to ultra bright LEDs for about $20 and that really helps when boon docking! I'll post pics of that swap soon.
enjoy. And in case I don't see ya, Good afternoon, good evening & goodnight!"

Would you share with the rest of us where you were able to find all the interior LED replacement bulbs for only $20. I also have a thing for LED's, but the price to replace my incandescent bulbs is a bit daunting. Most of my camping is boon docking and this is a great mod. I'm into it for about $180 for four replacement fixtures so far. 2 "bulbs" are about the same price as one fixture around here. The tail light swap is also fairly high on my priority list. Have done that with every trailer I have owned. Does that mean that I have some sort of "opia" as well?

I had done a search on eBay for "20 rv led bulbs T10 warm white". They are really bright and I'll take some pics and post them up! About $25 for 20 of them. They pop into the existing bulb sockets. No need to replace the existing fixtures! I've calculated that if I have all 20 interior LED bulbs turned on the power draw is equivalent to just 2-3 of the regular incandescent bulbs!! With a small 20-30 watt solar panel you are looking at a completely sustainable boondocking setup!

20 PCS T10 Warm White Led bulbs
http://r.ebay.com/MkYXXc
http://img.banggood.com/thumb/large/upload/2012/liangping/SKU033815 (6).jpg

MotoLynx27x

I'm a huge fan of the led tail light mod. I saw those glolights awhile back and really liked them. They look awesome on your trailer. Keep posting pics of your mods. As a fellow sufferer I've found that living vicariously through other's mods helps pass the time.

Love it! Especially about living vicariously through other's mods!!!
i really do like the glolights. Best part was I got them for $28 a set with free shipping!
stl178rb_3_1000.jpg

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had done a search on eBay for "20 rv led bulbs T10 warm white". They are really bright and I'll take some pics and post them up! About $25 for 20 of them. They pop into the existing bulb sockets. No need to replace the existing fixtures! I've calculated that if I have all 20 interior LED bulbs turned on the power draw is equivalent to just 2-3 of the regular incandescent bulbs!! With a small 20-30 watt solar panel you are looking at a completely sustainable boondocking setup!

Thanks for that link, I just ordered 20.

BobX2

I just placed an order as well. Hope they are bright enough, but if not, I'm only out $22. Thanks for the link.

BobX2

Installed 10 of these LED's in my camper. Really not very bright, but will do fine in areas that don't require bright lights, ie; Bedroom, bathroom and over the couch. Definitely won't work for kitchen and dining area, but I saved my bright LED fixtures from my other camper, so I'm covered there.

MotoLynx27x

Installed 10 of these LED's in my camper. Really not very bright, but will do fine in areas that don't require bright lights, ie; Bedroom, bathroom and over the couch. Definitely won't work for kitchen and dining area, but I saved my bright LED fixtures from my other camper, so I'm covered there.

Well I've come to realize that these LEDs are not everyone's cup of tea and that's cool. They work for me. At night they are plenty bright to read a book or to cook with. To each his own.

BobX2

No need to take offense, none intended. I agree that they are a great value and appreciate the info on where to purchase them. Perfect for anywhere that bright, intense light isn't needed. They just aren't as bright as the 921 incandescent. Taking the RV out for the first time this weekend so I will have a better opportunity to check them out. Hoping to be able to read with the one at the head of the bed. That would be a big plus.

SailorDon

With a small 20-30 watt solar panel you are looking at a completely sustainable boondocking setup!
Nice mods. I've replaced all my interior lighting with LED's. The outside will stay "as - is".

Boondocking to me without A/C is "roughing it".
3 days ago I was boondocking at a Corps of Engineers campsite on Sam Rayburn Reservoir and even the tent campers had a generator running for the air conditioner in their tent!
And it was only 85 degrees.
What happens when it gets over 90 degrees?
My answer is a nice little camping generator in the back of the pickup truck.

Now that is boondocking in comfort, with TV and A/C. (And microwave, but you have to shut down the A/C first or it overloads the generator.)