Need help identifying fifth wheel rails bolts in truck bed

tkroy

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Just bought a new to me 2004 gmc 2500 hd duramax pickup and it has holes (4) drilled in bed of truck and a different style of bolt that goes thru the bed with a threaded hole thru the center of the bolt. Trying to find info on what brand or style was mounted in the bed for fifth wheel rails.

IMG_20160227_163710723.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Looks like a threaded insert of sorts for a bolt. Using a bolt that fits, you could remove the rails from the bed easily, if needed. If you had thread gages, you could deterimine the diameter and thread pitch. You might try looking for a company that installs/deals with hitches to have them take a look.

My rails are installed with large carriage bolts, so removing them would be a major operation.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What is on the underside of those bolt holes?
Could be someones homemade system.
Have you tried talking to the previous owner?

Peace
Dave

tkroy

the bolts are the only thing left on truck,there is a washer and nut on the underside of bed, can see where brackets to truck frame were, but no longer on truck. bough truck from dealer and previous owner did not use a fifth wheel.

danemayer

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Just bought a new to me 2004 gmc 2500 hd duramax pickup and it has holes (4) drilled in bed of truck and a different style of bolt that goes thru the bed with a threaded hole thru the center of the bolt. Trying to find info on what brand or style was mounted in the bed for fifth wheel rails.

View attachment 43469

Maybe you should just assume the previous owner did something unrelated to having a hitch.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
What is holding the bed to the frame of the truck? Or are these the bolts that are doing that? If so I would just remove those and use the bolts that come with a bed rail kit. Those look like some special bolt for something. But I would definitely not mount the bed rails with them.

This looks kind of like what you have.
3fe701c10c2ee71cb5b447539dc16273.jpg

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
X2 on what PJ said. In no way can you pull a 5'er only bolted to the thin metal of the bed. Decide on a hitch and get the frame bracket and bolt kit for the bed rails. If you install it yourself...."it's measure 10 times and drill once".