Need help - leak behind universal docking center

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I heard back from Production today. Good news. In our ongoing effort to clean up the wiring/plumbing in the hidden areas, we have shortened up a lot of that flex hose and we are looking into ways to eliminate more of it.

Jim

That will go a long way towards how the workmanship is perceived.

wyleyrabbit

A quick mod I did this past weekend. At Home Depot, I purchased some cable ties that have a loop on the head for a screw. Similar to these: link to Home Depot website. After taking the wall off behind the universal docking station, I attached one of these cable ties to the hose for the outside shower about 6" from where the water goes into the hose. Then I screwed the cable tie to the basement roof.

Now the hose from the shower does not hang anywhere near the other hoses and will not get caught up or interfere with any of them. The outside shower hose is now much more useful because it's easy to pull out and put back in.

Perhaps this is something else that should be done at the factory, as I think my leaks may have been prevented if not for the hoses interfering with each other.

Hope this helps someone!

Cheers,
Chris

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have heard the screw to tighten/loosen hose clamps should not be used to replace Pex connections as the hose clamps will fail after a period of time. Is this correct?

wyleyrabbit

Jim,

Not sure, but I've heard the same thing. I'm skeptical that the screwdriver hose clamps could actually get as tight as a crimped ring (without stripping the "threads") and stay tight. Nothing really preventing the screw from loosening up during temperature changes and travel, I guess. I'd rather stick with "best practices" whenever possible, especially in areas that I have no expertise. My $0.02.

Chris

ricatic

Chris makes some good points. We always use Oetiker crimp rings when we work on beverage systems in the restaurant accounts that my company services. We do this work almost every day. The screw clamps do not hold as well as a properly crimped Oetiker crimp ring. They will strip before they get that tight. They are also wider and do not snug down into the barb fitting grooves as well. Properly installed, you will not have a leak caused by the use of a crimp ring.

Ricatic

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I have heard the screw to tighten/loosen hose clamps should not be used to replace Pex connections as the hose clamps will fail after a period of time. Is this correct?

Jim, here is two thoughts to look at that...

1) Would you repair a water line in your house with a hose clamp?? A trailer is the thing only on wheels. Even with a regulator you are still at 40 psi.
Cooling systems on cars and trucks operate at a much lower pressure usually 7-9 psi or the higher ones at 15-16.

2) The problem with worm drive hose clamps is they don't close in a perfect circle. You can use a center point clamp but they only do a slightly better job but still do not close in a perfect circle. Why is that important??
If the pressure is not equal around the clamp then it is no longer round-it is oblong-even the slightest deformity is enough for the clamp to fail.

wyleyrabbit

Larry, that makes perfect sense. I never really considered that the worm clamp wouldn't be perfectly round, but looking at one, it's pretty obvious that it wouldn't be. I'll stick with the crimp rings. :)

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Jim, here is two thoughts to look at that...

1) Would you repair a water line in your house with a hose clamp?? A trailer is the thing only on wheels. Even with a regulator you are still at 40 psi.
Cooling systems on cars and trucks operate at a much lower pressure usually 7-9 psi or the higher ones at 15-16.

2) The problem with worm drive hose clamps is they don't close in a perfect circle. You can use a center point clamp but they only do a slightly better job but still do not close in a perfect circle. Why is that important??
If the pressure is not equal around the clamp then it is no longer round-it is oblong-even the slightest deformity is enough for the clamp to fail.

Thanks for the explaination. I understand now.

beardedone

Beardedone
I have had the same issues on two occasiona and they are not a big deal to fix. My concern is that if away on day trip (or overnight) a leak could develop. I am seriously thinking of plumbing my Landmark like I did in the house. A hot and cold water manifold and then a home run system with crimps. I want to take my trailer belly off and straighten everything else up anyway. Would be a good time to do that and probably wouldn't cost much but provide lots of piece of mind. And, if you do it right there will never be any further issue about vibration loosening connections. In the meantime I will continue to turn the water off at the source while I am away.

Jimmyt5

The last thing we do when we leave the RV, turnoff the water. We had a leak and the guy parked next to us saved the day by turning ours off, been doing it ever since.
Only takes a secound.....

wyleyrabbit

That's a great idea, however Heartland should up their standards. Why a mix of brass and plastic? Why not all brass? These are fittings that could cause a leak that might end up leaking into the electrical spaghetti that seems to pass for them, then what? Fire would be my guess.

lhetsler

check valve

I am replacing my check valve on my water heater in my bighorn 3670 just as a proactive measure. I see that many have had a problem. I just wanted to mention that Lowes has a large supply of these in the area where their water shut off valves are. They are brass fittings and have 1/2, 3/4 and 1 inch npt. I think the valve in the bighorns are 1/2 npt, at least that is what I bought. I haven't actually made the install yet. I noticed some have had trouble finding them. So, I wanted to tell you that I found them at both Lowes and Home depot. Although Lowes had a much better selection. I should note that I asked an employee and he stated emphatically that they didnot have them. I then checked online and found that they do have them. Again look where they have the brass water shutoff valves.

I love this web site because I get a heads up on things and have prevented problems.