Need ideas for traveling tools

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Re: Need ideas for taveling tools

I carry two square (Robertson) screw drive sizes because throughout the trailer Heartland used two different sizes.

That Husky combo set I mentioned has both, along with a bunch of other bits. Looking around my rig, they're all #2 heads.

porthole

Retired

I've added the tools and a few spare brass fittings to repair PEX plumbing, including a short length of 1/2" PEX pipe.

John - that PEX stuff is fairly tough - have you ever had to do a "not at home repair"?
I have been adding PEX where I can in the trailer. Just replacing my fresh water tanks now and replacing as much of the water hoses with PEX that I can, even the vent lines.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Duane, so far the only PEX repair I've had to do was while it was at the storage yard. But that's still 10 miles from home. OK, Home Depot is across the street from the yard. But it all fits in a small tool box I had sitting empty in the garage at home and the four foot length of PEX rides behind the basement wall. I bought a cutter just for the PEX, along with the crimp and removal tools and spare fittings.

Even if I never need it again, I just might run into someone else that might. Always willing to lend a hand.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member

I carry some small limb cutters to trim back the tree branches that rub the RV roof and slides. I also carry a small hand saw for the same reason. I have used them both many times. A military entrenching tool (folding shovel) is also a handy addition.

traveler44

Do you have an allen wrench socket and extension to fit the end of the hydraulics motor. You have to remove a sticker on the end of the motor to find the place to drive the slides in and out manually. I keep that socket and extension and a socket to fit the lugnuts seperate from the rest of my tools. I just use the bottle jack from my truck and a block of wood under the axle at the ubolts to raise one wheel and that's all I work on at a time. I carry an accu-tire tire gauge and an infrared digital heat gauge that I shoot at the tires and brakes on the truck and trailer when we stop to make sure everything is running cool. Tom M.

porthole

Retired

If you do carry an Allen to run the pump, have you actually tried it?
I needed to cut mine down until I just had a stub sticking out of the drill because of clearance.