Need input on decorative outdoor lighting

TxCowboy

DW and I were initially thinking about hanging lights from the awning but (1) we can't install or remove them without a ladder, (2) the awnings won't roll up with the lights installed (haven't seen any lights that would), and (3) there is no electrical connection at the top of the awnings so where would you plug them in?

At this point, we're totally at a loss and out of ideas.

Anyone have suggestions for decorative outdoor lighting, particularly something that will stand up to steady 15+ mph winds we have here at the coast?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I added a good remote controlled, multi colored LED light strip under the awning.
I ran the wire down the channel where the awning motor wire runs and entered the coach in the same area.
Gives me plenty of lighting options and the remote works well.
I didn't cheap out on the lights.
So that's one lighting option for you.

Peace
Dave

Bogie

Last year I installed LED lighting under the awning. Since I prefer a factory finished look I found an aluminum track that aims down at a 45 degree angle. I also purchased a plastic lens that finishes the track when snapped in. I purchased both at 1000bulbs.com. I used auto body moulding tape to stick it to the side of the RV. I purchased 2 outdoor RGB LED strings with adhesive back from Home Depot and soldered two together. Even though the light strings came with a power supply with remote, they were 120 to 12 volt conversions. Couldn't have that! Also bought a separate controller with a remote from Home Depot that was powered at 12 volts and was small enough fit in the track. I wired it through the scare light so only a very small length of wiring was exposed. I also i stalled a DPDT switch in the overhead where the scare light wiring enters the coach. That way, I can use either the scare light or LED's independently.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428076064.391768.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1428076121.742967.jpg

IronJ

I would go under awning , as bogie did, or on the actual track as my road warrior came from the factory. ..it rolls up with the awning and does not scatter light outward like a under awning mount would ( I had it that way in a track on my old trailer)...either way works great tho

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeff, as point of info. There should be a 120V plug on the door side of your trailer. You can plug lites into it and can be switched off and on from a switch inside the coach.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Jeff, as point of info. There should be a 120V plug on the door side of your trailer. You can plug lites into it and can be switched off and on from a switch inside the coach.

Not all rigs have this.

Our rig does not have a switched plug on the exterior. We don't have a plug near the awning. And we checked the interior switch marked "awning recept", there are no wires to it.

TxCowboy

Thanks for all of the good input. This is a Landmark with two door side awnings -- one on a slide and one mounted on the exterior wall covering the door. Both are about 11 feet off the ground. Only the awning that covers the door has an electrical connection nearby and that plug is about 6 to 7 feet below the awning. That plug, however, is controlled by a switch on the main electrical panel.

I guess I could find a way to run LED lights under the non-slide awning but not sure how to deal with the electrical cord that would be running down the outside of the RV. Running one single strand of LEDs won't work because of the slide out and not sure how I'd connect the strand to be mounted on the slide out.

I like the idea of some "party lights" but don't want to create an "ugly" in the process.

It dawns on me that the secret here may be that I need to learn to drill holes and wire simple electrical connections. LOL :)

- - - Updated - - -

I added a good remote controlled, multi colored LED light strip under the awning.
I ran the wire down the channel where the awning motor wire runs and entered the coach in the same area.
Gives me plenty of lighting options and the remote works well.
I didn't cheap out on the lights.
So that's one lighting option for you.

Peace
Dave

Dave, do you have a link to what you installed? Thx! :)

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Jeff, I bought the setup at superbrightleds.com.
Link to controller and remote. [LINK]
Link to LED strip. [LINK]

Attached are a couple of pics to show how I ran the wires into the coach.
Going inside wound up in a wire/plumbing raceway.
Once inside I spliced into an always hot 12 volt wire. No need for a power supply.
Mounted the receiver there as well.

20160503_141503.jpg
Going into the top of the awning rail.
20160503_141307.jpg
Going down the rail under the plastic cover.
20160503_141313.jpg
Entering the coach.

Peace
Dave