Need some hitch opinions

ppieplow

I have searched for some honest opinions for a 5th wheel hitch on the forum. I have read a few, but figured I would start a quick thread to see what everyone thinks...

Very close to finalizing a deal on a Heartland Gateway 3650BH. My TV is a F-250 SRW 6.7 Diesel Short Bed. I need to get a fifth wheel hitch. Dealer can install a Reese Commercial 16R. I have looked at a local truck accessory store and they can install a B&W Turnoverball with a B&W Companion.

Any thoughts???

scottyb

I have searched for some honest opinions for a 5th wheel hitch on the forum. I have read a few, but figured I would start a quick thread to see what everyone thinks...

Very close to finalizing a deal on a Heartland Gateway 3650BH. My TV is a F-250 SRW 6.7 Diesel Short Bed. I need to get a fifth wheel hitch. Dealer can install a Reese Commercial 16R. I have looked at a local truck accessory store and they can install a B&W Turnoverball with a B&W Companion.

Any thoughts???

I had a B&W w/ turnover ball in my Chevy and loved it. When I bought my new Ford I got the B&W that fits the OEM factory prep. I love the positive locking of the jaws and the ease of hitching on any angle. If you have any possibility of ever needing a gooseneck ball or like a clean bed when not using the hitch, the B&W is the way to go.

JanAndBill

Any thoughts???

I've had the Reese R16 for about 6 months now, and would highly recommend it. Initially there were some problems with the bushing on the sides, but Reese has since upgraded the material, and so far so good.

whp4262

I use the Reese 25K Elite with the hidden bed rails, I'm not a Ford guy but I think the Elite hitch will fit the Ford factory 5th wheel prep (someone jump in if I'm wrong about this). I owned a B&W 5th wheel hitch several years ago and it was ok. But B&W has made some huge improvements since then so I no longer have a valid opinion other than to say I know people who use B&W and they like them. My first hitch used an above bed rail system and I didn't like it, I was always catching things on the rails when I slide stuff in the bed and I usuaully had to clean the dirt out of the rails before I could put the hitch in. Don't have these problems with the under bed system and it's a much cleaner installation so this is what I would recommend. As far as Reese vs B&W, I don't think one is probably any better than the other so it's just a matter of price and preference.

ppieplow

Just curious, Will either fit with existing low profile front of bed tool box? Or, will I need to remove the tool box to tow?

scottyb

I use the Reese 25K Elite with the hidden bed rails, I'm not a Ford guy but I think the Elite hitch will fit the Ford factory 5th wheel prep (someone jump in if I'm wrong about this). I owned a B&W 5th wheel hitch several years ago and it was ok. But B&W has made some huge improvements since then so I no longer have a valid opinion other than to say I know people who use B&W and they like them. My first hitch used an above bed rail system and I didn't like it, I was always catching things on the rails when I slide stuff in the bed and I usuaully had to clean the dirt out of the rails before I could put the hitch in. Don't have these problems with the under bed system and it's a much cleaner installation so this is what I would recommend. As far as Reese vs B&W, I don't think one is probably any better than the other so it's just a matter of price and preference.

I'm not positive, but I think Reese makes the Ford OEM prep. I know if you order or purchase the full 5th wheel package, it comes with a Reese and the gooseneck kit is Reese as well. My vote would be the Reese hidden rail with the B&W hitch. It is even easier to install / remove the 5th wheel hitch than the original B&W Flipover Ball. I just recently used the gooseneck ball and the safety chain sockets to haul my metal building on a gooseneck trailer. It is a huge bonus to have this capability.

CeeCee

B&W for sure. Easy to take in & out (light weight) & never hear any chucking or any other noise when towing. Really really like this hitch.

greg7140

another +1 for the B&W Companion...great hitch for my needs switching back and forth between goose neck and standard 5th wheel trailers...

alex00

I'll jump in with yet another vote for B&W. Six years and counting with only one problem. I cross threaded a bolt. B&W replaced both parts I mucked up for free when I called to ask where to buy new ones. After emphasizing to the woman that I messed it up she said she understood and shipped everything off without charging me a dime. Great customer service. Having a clean bed is a huge plus.

Sent by smoke signals using Tapatalk for campfires 4

Eddhuy

I have the 25K Reese Elite, it is very good but the B and W Companion is well liked by many and it is a lot less money, just never had one to make the recommendation. Both will fit the Ford factory mounted rail system.

1_oldgoat

I just bought a Gateway 3500 RE, installed a B&W turnover and a Anderson ultimate fifth wheel hitch, simple and no chucking at all. Check them out online, i think its anderson hitchs dot com or something. I love mine and removal install is a one person job.

sjs731

B&W Companion. Easy removal. High quality. Silver jaws that make it easy to see if they are engaged.

Steve and Carrie
HOC#2252
Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk

dave10a

I think they are all good. I have a Reese 20k that has served me well and I like the "one jaw" design over the two jaw design. If one can insert the safty pin it is very unlikely if not impossible to high hitch or improperly hitch. The hitch also holds safely even if the safety pin is not installed.

shurack24

We went with the Curt Q20 and love it. Hitches and unhitches flawlessly with our Gateway 3200.
Personally, I would say that there isn't a clear winner in this category. i think you'll get different opinions from everyone. Go with a hitch in your price category and move on.