Need to clarify Brakes are not a problem?

Pappy

Hi All,
I have read all the threads on the brakes and the Ford IBC and have not determined if it is a concern if you cannot lock up the brakes. We took our new BC 3250 out for a second time this weekend and agian I tried to lock the wheels with manual application of the brakes at about 10-20 mph and could not. I have read that the Ford IBC work with anti lock and will not all locking.
  • The gain is set at 10
  • When I apply the brakes manually at 10-20 mph I feel the trailer pull the truck back but not skid/lock
  • While traveling down the road if I apply the brakes manually at about 2-3 bars on the display I feel the trailer pull the truck back
  • During normal braking I see the controller apply 1-2 bars but do no feel the trailer pull back
  • I have read about burnishing the brakes but I would think that this would have occured during transport for delivery (Nv)
    • I have not burnished the brakes
  • I have nev-r-adjust brakes so break adjustment seems to not be an options
Not sure if this is a concern or not.....

Willym

I had self adjusting brakes installed with my axle upgrade last year, and found that I needed to manually adjust them to get them working well. They were well out of adjustment, but once brought back into line, they seem to be adjusting themselves OK. They're a bit more fiddly to adjust, but not too difficult.
The original Ford IBC did not give full output at low speeds (<15mph IIRC), but I'm not sure if the newer models have this limitation. Perhaps a Ford owner can comment.

danemayer

At 5 mph I can come to an abrupt stop using the brake controller only. From a stop, the trailer brakes will hold the wheels locked, although there's usually about a foot or two of rolling before the brakes are fully applied. As I understand it, the slight roll is a function of how the brake assemblies activate - after the magnet pulls the front shoe against the drum, the friction causes movement of the linkages to drive the rear shoe against the drum.

With full application of the IBC, if your brakes don't stop the trailer very quickly at 5 mph or hold it from a stop, I'd be concerned about how well they'd work coming downhill to a stoplight, or having to stop quickly in an emergency at highway speed.

As to never-adjust: My original brakes assemblies did not self-adjust properly and once they were manually adjusted it turned out the drums were slightly out of round. Dexter replaced everything and the current assemblies do self-adjust nicely and work well.

jnbhobe

Bill is right about doing a manual adjustment. Also what setting is your controller set to, I would set it to 10 and start backing it down from there. Have you pulled the break-away to see if that locks the wheels ?? I have had 3 of the factory ford controllers and all have been flawless.

lwmcguir

Bill is right about doing a manual adjustment. Also what setting is your controller set to, I would set it to 10 and start backing it down from there. Have you pulled the break-away to see if that locks the wheels ?? I have had 3 of the factory ford controllers and all have been flawless.
Confirming that we have had the same results with Ford Brake Controllers. Every time there was a fault indicated it was with the wiring, plug, or brakes. Never the Ford controller. Great job by Ford and it gets better with the 2011 series and up.

porthole

Retired
The original Ford IBC did not give full output at low speeds (<15mph IIRC), but I'm not sure if the newer models have this limitation. Perhaps a Ford owner can comment.

This is not a limitation, rather a "feature".

(from memory) at speeds below 20 mph the brake output is reduced about 20%. This is to keep the trailer from tugging in stop and go traffic, which can be fairly annoying.

And for those of you with 2011+ Fords, there is a hill hold feature which is really neat. When stopped on a hill, the brakes will stay applied for about 2 seconds after releasing the pedal.
The DRW's are not supposed to have it but mine does.

Willym

So do the latest Fords have this "feature"? I also wonder if the Dodge and GM IBC's have it also. I find that my P3 controller can grab the brakes harshly at low speed. It always seems to happen when the unit is cold and you're trying to leave a campground quietly, early in the morning. Then you go and wake everyone up when the wheels lock up on gravel.

This is not a limitation, rather a "feature".

(from memory) at speeds below 20 mph the brake output is reduced about 20%. This is to keep the trailer from tugging in stop and go traffic, which can be fairly annoying.

And for those of you with 2011+ Fords, there is a hill hold feature which is really neat. When stopped on a hill, the brakes will stay applied for about 2 seconds after releasing the pedal.
The DRW's are not supposed to have it but mine does.

Pappy

Thanks for the info. I took it into the dealer and they also related the Ford IBC is made to not lock up <20 mph. Seems like it is working but just not like my old truck with prodigy. Dealer related they were adusted when they PDI'd the unit. It is difficult to adjust them myself? Thanks again...

danemayer

Ok, let's assume that even when operating manually under 20mph, the Ford IBC won't apply full voltage (although that seems dumb). You can still check the trailer brakes at full voltage from a stop by pulling the breakaway cable. Do this in a parking lot. The trailer shouldn't move more than about a foot or two before the wheels lock up.

creeper

The last thing you want to do is lock up the brakes on a heavy trailer. The ford controller is like adding anti lock brakes to your trailer.