NEVER Buying Another Heartland

Status
Not open for further replies.

JanAndBill

Heartland does not pick the dealers, the dealers pick Heartland. RV sales are not like auto sales. RV dealers can determine whatever brand of product they want to carry.

If the dealership doesn't have a good service department to take care of customers, that's on the dealership, not Heartland.

The agreement between HL and the dealership has to include some PDI, though, to make sure the unit is ready for the consumer so there is less warranty work after the sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come on now, seriously? There is a relatively small group of dealers across the country, and in today's age of the internet, it's also easy to get a handle on custom satisfaction with those dealers. So you would have me believe that if I owned a crappy dealership, with terrible customer satisfaction, and I called up Heartland they wouldn't have any choice but to make me a dealer???? I find that hard to believe.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Come on now, seriously? There is a relatively small group of dealers across the country, and in today's age of the internet, it's also easy to get a handle on custom satisfaction with those dealers. So you would have me believe that if I owned a crappy dealership, with terrible customer satisfaction, and I called up Heartland they wouldn't have any choice but to make me a dealer???? I find that hard to believe.

No, I'm not saying that. But I'm saying, if I own a large number of dealerships and make a a name for myself in the camping "world", and I have a track record to move quite a few units a month at each, even if my service is terrible, I could probably get just about any manufacturer I want to make a deal.

I'm sure HL can offer to help the customer that comes to them in frustration, and work to solve issues with a dealership that way. We've see it.

But for HL to say, "I'm not going to sell you RVs unless you service them better?!!" I don't think that's going to happen.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
No, I'm not saying that. But I'm saying, if I own a large number of dealerships and make a a name for myself in the camping "world", and I have a track record to move quite a few units a month at each, even if my service is terrible, I could probably get just about any manufacturer I want to make a deal.

I'm sure HL can offer to help the customer that comes to them in frustration, and work to solve issues with a dealership that way. We've see it.

But for HL to say, "I'm not going to sell you RVs unless you service them better?!!" I don't think that's going to happen.

Well it should happen!! I feel bad for this family mostly because it seems that they are in over their head. It seems that they do not know what they are doing or where to go for help. For quality product and customer service after the purchase, Heartland should be involved 100% to have a stellar company name. I know I have to with my business. This is another case of a very unhappy customer and not one single business owner can afford anyone like this. I get asked two questions mostly when people approach us, how is the camper holding up and how is the customer service.

buddyboy

Ok, folks. It's not like the dealer sells only one manufacturer's product. I can assure you that if there's service after the sale that is substandard on Heartland products, it's true on every line they sell. In my former life in the Virginia/Maryland/D.C. area, I was in and out of auto and RV dealerships on a daily basis. I'd see RV techs moving from one dealership to another often. The most common complaint I heard was that each issue on each trailer was a learning experience due to construction differences even in models by the same manufacturer. The dealership bosses wanted the repairs done and the unit off the lot quickly. There are many good techs who ended up either starting their own repair shops or working for non dealers. There are certainly exceptions, but this is what I saw over a 20 year period.

Martha

I've been reading and studying what my next RV will be. See I bought another brand and it's like OP rig, a real pain. I haven't even owned it a year and it's been in a service dept. more than in my possession. It happens to ALL brands. The dealership makes or breaks it.

JanAndBill

even if my service is terrible, I could probably get just about any manufacturer I want to make a deal.

Sadly I am afraid I have to agree with you on this as it appears to be the case throughout the RV industry. I used to think that the Motor Home segment was better, but frankly after listening to some friends with late model higher end coaches, it appears that they are not immune either. It shouldn't be, but it is.

Rottiesmom

New York Chapter Leader - retired
We purchased a 2015 Cyclone last July 2014 (On July 29th), didn't get it in our possession before August 7th- and here are the things we've discovered since that time:

Stereo System FRIED- first week.
Back Patio- floor base lifts up, bubbles are half the size of a soccer ball.

The railings on the patio had holes in them, asked the dealer to replace them, said they would, never did.

The Transfer switch was incorrectly wired and fried costing us $750 to have it fixed onsite while we were 100 miles from home.

When we paid a company to look at it, we discovered that it was placed DIRECTLY underneath our water pipes, at the unions where they are most likely to Leak.

The Satellite cables were incorrectly installed- they used Cable switches rather than satellite switches so you can't use the campers Satellite wiring.

They used a cheap $10 plastic faucet in the bathroom- you literally could not put your hand under the water because it ran along the backside of the sink, we replaced that too.

The Vacuum cleaner Fried before the first bag even needed to be replaced. When I called the dealer they told me it would be a service call of $95- and it would probably be covered under warranty. So we ended up buying one on Amazon and having it shipped directly to our campsite to replace that too.

The slide out has always "Clunked" when Sliding out, when we did our walk through, we asked the dealer about it, since it was our first camper with a slide-out, they said it was normal. It's even cracked the trim in the kitchen.
Clunk gets louder and louder each day, Today, we discovered that when it slides out it was dropping several inches and it needs to be WELDED because it only has 2 little tiny welded spots which is causing it to bend severely every time its used. I could punch the dealer technician that told us it was FINE from the get go- because it's done this from day ONE. Unbelieveable.

I am so ultimately disgusted that we now have to PAY someone to Weld this $100,000 camper because it was thrown together in a rush to get it out the door. Every single time we camp, something else is broken.

LEMON.

I'm sorry for all your issues but I'm a little baffled as to when they all began. You said you purchased a 2015 Cyclone last July 29, 2014 and took possession on August 8th? was that of 2014 or 2015? If it started in 2014 why are you just posting these issues now? We have had issues with our Bighorn and Landmark that once Heartland was notified they helped to take care of the issue and we were satisfied with the outcome. Our first camper was a SOB and honestly the sales person didn't even do a PDI with us and we were so new to camping with an RV we didn't know what we should have been looking at and only learned about PDI when we bought a Heartland Product. Also have you spoken with or contacted the Cyclone Brand Manager AJJones as I see they responded to your issues the same time you posted them a week ago? I too feel the dealership is a big part in how you receive your unit. They are to do a complete walk through of your unit prior to you even doing your PDI, at least our dealership does, Crossroads in New Jersey, and if there are any major or minor issues they should have had them taken care of prior to releasing the unit or be willing to fix them without any problems so I feel a lot of your issues lay with your dealership. If most of these items occurred right after you received the unit than why wouldn't they be covered under the warrantee? Best of luck in whatever you decide to do but I don't feel there is an RV manufacture out there that you won't find issues with but I do believe Heartland and their customer service department does their best to try and help resolve their clients issues it also depends how they are approached by an owner that can make an outcome good or bad.

Jim.Allison

There is something desperately wrong with this thread. Its not passing the smell test. It is quite odd that so many different product lines, AND the workmanship of the rig is all messed up. If it's not messed up or fried, it is put in wrong. - Just sayin

murry135

New York Chapter Leaders - retired
I agree with Jim here, also there is no responses from OP, so with that being said I'm out.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Sounds to me that the OP plugged into something they should not have and that it fried every 120V item in their CY. HL's fault...not likely. Hit and run...probably.

As to dealers...every manufacturer sells units to a dealer that moves units or buys lots of unit.. RV dealers are NOT CAR DEALERS.....RV manufacturers can not force a dealer to do anything. But the RV dealer can stop selling their product. I only know of one dealer that got fired by HL because of something the dealer/salesman said to me and I told Coley. Loooong story.

Last edited:

readytohitheroad

sorry Bob but I think they probably had the same QC we did or of a similar type. Our transfer switch was wired incorrectly so that when the genny was running the juice was sent out the wire that went to our shore power hook up, instead of into the breaker box. Had I not caught this, had the jenny running, and then plugged in my shore power cord I might have fried our entire rig also.

danemayer

sorry Bob but I think they probably had the same QC we did or of a similar type. Our transfer switch was wired incorrectly so that when the genny was running the juice was sent out the wire that went to our shore power hook up, instead of into the breaker box. Had I not caught this, had the jenny running, and then plugged in my shore power cord I might have fried our entire rig also.

I'd be interested in a drawing that shows how it was wired from the factory. I'm having a hard time picturing any wiring configuration that would work on shore power and do what you're saying when running the generator. And I would think the shore power side would have been tried out at the dealer before you took delivery.

buddyboy

Guess I'm confused. What rig do you have? I looked back through your postings, but couldn't see a mention of anything but a future purchase.

Martha

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
We purchased a 2015 Cyclone last July 2014 (On July 29th), didn't get it in our possession before August 7th- and here are the things we've discovered since that time:

Stereo System FRIED- first week.
Back Patio- floor base lifts up, bubbles are half the size of a soccer ball.

The railings on the patio had holes in them, asked the dealer to replace them, said they would, never did.

The Transfer switch was incorrectly wired and fried costing us $750 to have it fixed onsite while we were 100 miles from home.

When we paid a company to look at it, we discovered that it was placed DIRECTLY underneath our water pipes, at the unions where they are most likely to Leak.

The Satellite cables were incorrectly installed- they used Cable switches rather than satellite switches so you can't use the campers Satellite wiring.

They used a cheap $10 plastic faucet in the bathroom- you literally could not put your hand under the water because it ran along the backside of the sink, we replaced that too.

The Vacuum cleaner Fried before the first bag even needed to be replaced. When I called the dealer they told me it would be a service call of $95- and it would probably be covered under warranty. So we ended up buying one on Amazon and having it shipped directly to our campsite to replace that too.

The slide out has always "Clunked" when Sliding out, when we did our walk through, we asked the dealer about it, since it was our first camper with a slide-out, they said it was normal. It's even cracked the trim in the kitchen.
Clunk gets louder and louder each day, Today, we discovered that when it slides out it was dropping several inches and it needs to be WELDED because it only has 2 little tiny welded spots which is causing it to bend severely every time its used. I could punch the dealer technician that told us it was FINE from the get go- because it's done this from day ONE. Unbelieveable.

I am so ultimately disgusted that we now have to PAY someone to Weld this $100,000 camper because it was thrown together in a rush to get it out the door. Every single time we camp, something else is broken.

LEMON.

First post. If you look at their other posts it's pretty clear (to me at least) they are/were Heratland owners who have had a rough time.

porthole

Retired
I'd be interested in a drawing that shows how it was wired from the factory. I'm having a hard time picturing any wiring configuration that would work on shore power and do what you're saying when running the generator. And I would think the shore power side would have been tried out at the dealer before you took delivery.

I'd like to see this as well.

macjj

Just my 2 cents. I bought my 2012 BH, the dealer stated he did not do much repairs or upgrades, and I have not been back. I have to add that I purchased in Virginia, and reside in California. I have a few issues, but Heartland has always been courteous and helpful, even over a year after purchase. From stories I have heard from other manufacturers, I would go with Heartland for my next one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.