New and need some advice on campgrounds

Hi- my husband and I have a 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD edition. We haul it with a bullet-proofed Ford 350 Diesel (dually).

We live in Virginia and it is very difficult finding campsites that will fit our trailer, never mind the trailer and truck. So frustrating. I email each place and let them know we are HUGE! But they put us in a site that crams us in. Anyone know of any good camping places that would accommodate us? If I can't find some places soon I think I will sell this trailer because in the past 5 years we have camped a handful of times due to the size. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

avvidclif

Re: New and need some advice

Since you gave no idea of where you wanted the site. We stayed at Mill Creek RV Park in Canton, Tx 2 weeks ago and we had a pull thru spot that was 120+ ft long. Abt 40' between sites and the concrete pads were staggered so no-one had a trailer right beside them.

There are lots of places but State Parks and National Parks tend to be small....

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...

Plenty of campsites out here in Colorado for you!

davebennington

If you would like to be a little closer to home try Willow Tree in Longs South Carolina, On some of their sites you can park your rig as well as mine.

dave

hoefler

Try picking up the phone and talking to the campground personnel. I have been all over this nation pulling our 40' Landmark, we are over 57' running down the road and never had an issue finding a site whether pull through or back in.

danemayer

You can check out RVParkReviews.com and look to see if Big Rig has been checked. Then read the reviews to see what visitors actually say. It's a starting point, but not a guarantee. Once you narrow it down, you can call the park for details.

Snow

We are in Virginia also and never had a problem, iam 40 ft plus truck, been to a lot of KOAs and have saw a lot longer rigs then us .our buddies that go with us is 42 ft plus dually ,and we even get on a buddy site together at Staunton walnut hills . ⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️⛄️

buddyboy

Are you looking for a site that will accommodate the truck and trailer hooked up? We drop the trailer 95% of the time and have had no problems. Our trailer is 39.5' & we have no problems. I know yours is a bit over 41', but not sure why you're having problems fitting. Check out the parks online in several places for reviews and call the park and ask about site lengths. That way, no surprises.

pegmikef

I have found it is useful to discuss length when making a reservation. I usually use google map to look at the parks so I can get an idea of site lengths. COE parks and some others with few exceptions let you reserve specific sites. I am not nearly as long as you are, but I have certainly seen a lot longer rigs camping whereever I have camped. We attend a lot of Heartland Rallies and many of the attendees have the longer Landmarks, Big Horns, Big Countries, and other models and I don't recall any of them ever having a problem

GWRam

Hi- my husband and I have a 2011 Cyclone 3950 HD edition. We haul it with a bullet-proofed Ford 350 Diesel (dually).

We live in Virginia and it is very difficult finding campsites that will fit our trailer, never mind the trailer and truck. So frustrating. I email each place and let them know we are HUGE! But they put us in a site that crams us in. Anyone know of any good camping places that would accommodate us? If I can't find some places soon I think I will sell this trailer because in the past 5 years we have camped a handful of times due to the size. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks everyone!!

Length is a factor for us as well. We are 42' before adding the 3500 Dually.
If you search the KOA site for campgrounds near your destination. The campground info link will show amenities and max length of pull through sites.
I personally like to call and talk about the sites I have to chose from and ask any questions I have about the site I chose.
The rvparkreview.com site is informative also.
read the good and the bad reviews. find out why people liked/disliked a campground. It is amazing to me, some reviewers write how wonderful the campground is, all the great features and rate it a 2 because the wifi wasn't to their liking. others will write more useful information about ease of getting around on the roads in the campground, low branches, nice open spaces, etc....

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)

We've been to the following Virginia campgrounds that will easily accommodate your rig: Fredericksburg KOA; Tall Pines in Temperenceville (Delmarva); Holiday-Trvl-Park Supersites, Virginia Beach; Walnut Hills KOA, Stuarts Draft; Country Waye KOA (Luray); American Heritage, Williamsburg;Beth Page R Resort, Urbanna; Misty Mountain, Charlottesville (a little tight, but a few sites work). Close by (less than a days travel) to Virginia: Camp Hatteras, Outer Banks, NC; Holiday-Trvl-Park, Emerald Isle, NC; Little Drummer Boy, Gettysburg, PA; County Side, Lancaster, PA; Willow Tree, near Myrtle Beach, SC.

Miltp920

My wife just told me about bigrigresorts.com You select the state, then "resorts" for places that support BIG RIGS. But, I do not see a few of the campgrounds we have visited with our 36 foot toyhauler. In general you may want to Look for campgrounds that advertise "pull through sites". Pull throughs support BIG RIGS. I selected Virginia and found: WOW, i think these links work.

The following Virginia cities have resorts :

Dloebrich

We have a Cyclone 4000 and Chevy long box crew cab. We have been all over and no problems. We use "Rvparking,com" KOA and Goodsam Trip Planner. These apps seam to be good at locating Big Rig sites

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
An excellent resource for finding RV parks is www.mobilerving.com With it you can find what amenities are available at each park. There are over 22000 rv parks nationwide listed and there is also a route planner. It is free.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the guidance. I get frustrated when I call and tell them how big our rig is and they say no problem, but put us in a site that is only big enough for trailer. KOA's fit but not much room. Wish all state parks were like Surry, Va. Sooo nice!

VAbow

A big lot campground in the outer banks is OBX campground. Just pass the Wright memorial. Only 42 sites but they could easily double the number of sites if they wanted. Great place. On the sound side.