new awning consideration

etcmss

last night a rainstorm here in Florida prompted the question--"Can the awning be extended or another added to better cover the door?"

The current awning on our BH 3260 is about 17 ft from front of trailer to just past the door, stops at the slide. When it rains the back side leaks enough spray/water to be mostly ineffective. water comes in the door. a better arrangement/location would help.
Can another awning be added above the slide and be long enough to help the door and then another be added to be used as effective shade?
A nearby Cyclone has these 2 awning arrangement and I bet he doesn't get the rain spray in the door. The 2 slide option sure would help.
Gary

sengli

I bet there isnt anything in the wall strong enough to screw another awning to. I think think when the build the walls for these specific models they add extra metal plates, where the awnings screw into. I doubt our 3260's have any "meat" anywhere else that would support the weight and stress of another awning over the kitchen slide. The wals on these are laminated and very strong to a point. They are only like 2" thick, and are made up of aluminum, and foam mostly.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to visualize how an extra awning could be installed above that slide.
If there was an awning there it would have to be nearly horizontal to clear the entire slide.
No way to slope to allow for run off.
A recipe for disaster.
I know of a few people that have added another awning to the slide.
I doubt that would provide any extra protection from above the door however.

Peace
Dave

Greengas

Dave

My previous 5th Wheel, an Open Range, did in fact have the awning above the slide and just as you said, it was worthless. It did have some slope so that if it rained while it was open the water would flow off but we never left it open in any type of bad weather. It was one of the reasons for trading in that 5er.