New Big Horn 3010RE Owner

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I have 2011 F250 SD with Firestone Air Bags pulling a 2013 3010RE. We just hauled up and down hills from Louisiana to Arizona at 9.2 MPG passing cars uphill at an average of 65-70 MPH.

Your specs:

2017 Ford F-250 Pickup truck

Horsepower:*385 to 440*hp

Curb weight:*5,683 to 6,695*lbs

Payload:*3,305 to 4,267*lbs

Enjoy that 6.7L Scorpion Diesel!!!

BTW. DO NOT put a heavy fifth wheel king pin connection in the bed of your truck. Put in a flip-able gooseneck ball and research Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck Hitch (get aluminum). You save several hundred pounds in your bed. When everybody else poo-poos this idea... just rely on the mathematics of physics and their $10,000,000 guarantee.

https://www.andersenhitches.com/Catalog/ultimate-5th-wheel-connection.aspx

He said he's not getting the diesel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Oh boy... I missed the engine type. But payload is more than sufficient.

That is to be determined, by loaded pin weight, cargo, passengers, hitch weight. The number for max payload is on the door of the vehicle, as determined by its weight and installed options.

Our former rig, 2010 ElkRidge 34QSRL had a GVWR of 14,348. We weighed 14125. We had a pin weight of 3075 lbs. We didn't even have a washer/dryer or generator in the front. (Towing with 3500 dually, we were within our tow ratings).

BigGuy82

From the Ford Super Duty Specification Sheet -"5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing - Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings (lbs.): 6.2L Gas V-8, SRW, 4.30, Super Cab, F250 4x4 - 15,300 lbs." (PS - a diesel SINGLE is only rated at 15,900)
From the Heartland Bighorn 3010RE Spec Sheet: "GVWR 15,500". The rig dry is rated at 11,840, meaning I've got 3,660 for cargo.
Based on these specs, I'm not seeing the problem - the truck is rated to tow the fiver I bought and I've got 3,660 left over. We could go through all of the calculations, but I think two of us at an average 1,800 lbs each are OK - and that includes factoring the washer dryer and the generator.

So, the truck is rated to tow a 15,300 lb fiver and mine will weigh a maximum of 15,500 (I'll bet if I get picky on packing I can get it down to 15,300). That means, according to Ford's engineers, that I have a vehicle that is rated to tow this rig. If the guys that designed it and warranty it say it's good to go then I have to go with them. Additionally, I also based my decision on statements from people i regard as towing professionals (mentioned in an earlier thread).

I'm not worried at all about power with the gas engine, especially since I can easily tweak 10% more HP out of it if it becomes an issue. I admit that the torque from a diesel would be great to have, but I'm not willing to pay another 9 grand plus the maintenance headaches of a diesel to obtain it if the fiver I buy really doesn't need it.

Don't get me wrong here - I do appreciate the input but I just don't see what I'm missing. Please let me know if you think I missed something here.

Thanks

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi BigGuy82,

Look at the yellow tag for the empty weight of your unit. Every unit is weighed as it rolls out the door of the plant after final assembly. The weight posted on the spec sheet is before any options are added.

Jim M

jrdelung

From the Ford Super Duty Specification Sheet -"5th Wheel/Gooseneck Towing - Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight Ratings (lbs.): 6.2L Gas V-8, SRW, 4.30, Super Cab, F250 4x4 - 15,300 lbs." (PS - a diesel SINGLE is only rated at 15,900)
From the Heartland Bighorn 3010RE Spec Sheet: "GVWR 15,500". The rig dry is rated at 11,840, meaning I've got 3,660 for cargo.
Based on these specs, I'm not seeing the problem - the truck is rated to tow the fiver I bought and I've got 3,660 left over. We could go through all of the calculations, but I think two of us at an average 1,800 lbs each are OK - and that includes factoring the washer dryer and the generator.

So, the truck is rated to tow a 15,300 lb fiver and mine will weigh a maximum of 15,500 (I'll bet if I get picky on packing I can get it down to 15,300). That means, according to Ford's engineers, that I have a vehicle that is rated to tow this rig. If the guys that designed it and warranty it say it's good to go then I have to go with them. Additionally, I also based my decision on statements from people i regard as towing professionals (mentioned in an earlier thread).

I'm not worried at all about power with the gas engine, especially since I can easily tweak 10% more HP out of it if it becomes an issue. I admit that the torque from a diesel would be great to have, but I'm not willing to pay another 9 grand plus the maintenance headaches of a diesel to obtain it if the fiver I buy really doesn't need it.

Don't get me wrong here - I do appreciate the input but I just don't see what I'm missing. Please let me know if you think I missed something here.

Thanks
I think you are more than sufficient! I have found the folks on this blog to very, very helpful, but the old Ford, Chevy, Dodge debate exists with EVERY product. Take a look at that Anderson Ultimate Fifth Wheel Hitch to save a couple hundred pounds and still have a usable bed while out on the road.

GregP

You will love the 3010RE. We bought ours new in 2014 and are now approaching 40000 K towing with our RAM 2500HD, 6.7 diesel. We have been through Alaska, Yukon and all Canadian Provinces, including Newfoundland/Labrador as well as most of the Western US States with no issues. We bought the truck based on manufacturer's specs that indicated that it was well over in towing capacity for our needs. As it turns out, when we took the loaded rig to the scales, we were about four hundred pounds over on pin weight. Not fatal, but would have been good to know prior to purchase. Looked into an upgrade (trade-in) to a RAM 3500 similarly equipped and the difference was going to be in the 40,000 plus region. We will keep the 2500HD for a while longer. Enjoy your rig.

mlpeloquin

Just be careful. At Goshen rally last year most of the rigs that were weighed were over weight. In the 2 to 3 thousand pound range. I don't know how they loaded that much weight in, but the outfit weighing the trailers told me I was one of the few that was not over weight. I do not carry any water in the fresh water tank and was within 150 pounds of maximum weight. As much as I love the TrailAir Flex Air king pin, in your situation the aluminum Anderson Ultimate Gooseneck Hitch is moat likely the best choice to save on weight.

TravelTiger

It's not that I don't think you will likely be ok on the trailer weight.

It's the pin weight in the bed of the pickup that will put you over the axle rating or over the payload rating and then possibly over the GVWR for the truck. 3/4 ton trucks are notorious for having low payload capacity, and that's where they end up in trouble.

BigGuy82

Unladen pin is 2,340. Truck is rated at 3,300 total. Might take some creative load balancing. Just curious if anyone can tell me if the water tank on a Big Horn 3010RE is located fore or aft of the axles.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't do much on the hitch. The truck comes with the Ford puck system, meaning choices are limited.

jnbhobe

Reese Goose Box is approved to use, there are a lot of hitches available for the Ford puck system. Not sure where the water tank is mine is just in front of the front axel.

BigGuy82

Reese Goose Box is approved to use, there are a lot of hitches available for the Ford puck system. Not sure where the water tank is mine is just in front of the front axel.

Not light ones that I can find. They all tag in between 250-300 - I need a slider. The one I chose came in at 285 and is rated at 18K.

Regarding the gooseneck, p.24 of the 2017 Heartland Fifth Wheels, Travel Trailers & Toy Haulers Owners Manual - "use of a gooseneck adaptor can cause damage to the structure of your fifth wheel and will void your limited warranty" - all in caps. Perhaps it was allowed in earlier years and they had problems?

jnbhobe

Why do you need a slider with the 88* turning ??? Call Heartland about the goose box, Lipert approves it.

BigGuy82

6 1/2' bed. Dealer recommended a slider anyway even with the 88 degree turn capabilities. They didn't do it because of the $$$ because I didn't buy it from them. Overkill?

jnbhobe

Actually 6 3/4 on a Ford, most people don't use a slider once they get it unless it's automatic, just sayun

jrdelung

That anti-gooseneck policy is probably older than the invention of the Anderson Ultimate Hitch, and I believe that Heartland and Lipert are in bed together. If I had a brand new trailer, I wouldn't violate the policy... BUT, when the dealership I bought my 2013 BH from sells and installs the Anderson in my truck, I'm good. They sold me a Route 66 inspected and warrantied unit (4yrs).

The old style of gooseneck attachments are fixed to the trailer and go down into the bed of the truck, which may cause stress to trailer. The Anderson raises the goose-ball up to the level of the trailer kingpin. TOTALLY different physics. It's 2016...

Have I mentioned how much I love joining this Heartland blog?!?! I have learned a ton in the 10 days I have owned this new brand (old fiver is an Alpenlite).

mlpeloquin

Unladen pin is 2,340. Truck is rated at 3,300 total. Might take some creative load balancing. Just curious if anyone can tell me if the water tank on a Big Horn 3010RE is located fore or aft of the axles.

- - - Updated - - -

Can't do much on the hitch. The truck comes with the Ford puck system, meaning choices are limited.

If I remember correctly, my 3010RE has the fresh water tank fore, before the axles in the front. I think the tanks go fresh, kitchen gray, black, and shower/bath sink gray water. All tanks are in front of the axles with the last gray water tank just in front of them. It would be very difficult to remove them, if needed, if they were over the axles. It seems darn near impossible with all the wire and PEX lines to remove them as they are, but I know it can be done. I was weighed with them all empty and fully loaded with everything crossing country.

I think the Anderson hitch attaches to the standard king pin on your fifth wheel with an adapter. With the 3/4 ton I would go with the Anderson.

BigGuy82

Thanks for the tank location info. Nope - I wasn't even dreaming about changing anything on this coach, especially tank location. I just figured if the water tank was already behind the axle i might be able to relieve a little pin weight by filling the water tank a bit more.

As it stands, I think I'm going to be good on both pin weight and towed weight. I'll probably lament not getting a diesel when I'm climbing the Rockies, but I'll be fine with this combo that I've put together. If it proves out that I'm wrong, as I mentioned to jrdelung, I'll just trade in the truck and move on. If buying another new truck in 2-3 years is my biggest problem in life, I'll consider myself a lucky man! (besides, in 2-3 years, the inside of the windshield gets really scummy, so it's time to trade anyway :p !)