New Bighorn?

lbarton

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are thinking about replacing our 2009 Bighorn 3580 with a newer model,but we have had a few issues with our current rig (mostly plumbing). I'm wondering if others have had better luck or if leaks are just a fact of life in all 5th wheels? Thanks, lbarton

MTPockets

We had leaks three years ago when unit was new. I went over every joint I could reach and re-tightened, including lines, pump & valve connections and drain pipes. We've had zero leaks now in almost three years full time. Better plumbing, Pex fittings may be the answer.

danemayer

We haven't had any leak on our 2011 Rushmore. I did replace the plastic check valve on the water heater before it had a chance to leak. All the pex fittings were crimped tightly.

Pex tools have to be calibrated periodically. When I see posts about rigs having multiple leaks, I wonder if maybe the tool was overdue for calibration and that every crimp was a bit loose.

SeattleLion

We haven't had any leak on our 2011 Rushmore. I did replace the plastic check valve on the water heater before it had a chance to leak. All the pex fittings were crimped tightly.

Pex tools have to be calibrated periodically. When I see posts about rigs having multiple leaks, I wonder if maybe the tool was overdue for calibration and that every crimp was a bit loose.

We have had no leaks at all with our 2014 Bighorn 3160. Our previous RV, a Kodiak TT, had leaks in every PEX joint. The entire trailer had to be replumbed. It was clearly a PEX tool that needed to be recalibrated.

lbarton

Thanks for your responses. Maybe next time we'll get one that has properly tightened fittings. We are specifically looking at the Bighorn 3685. Anyone have experience with that unit? Thanks, lbarton

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I've had two leaks since getting the trailer. First was like four years ago and was a tiny drip off a crimped fitting in the basement. Found it while dewinterizing and repaired it. No damage. Second was from a cracked part in the washing machine that did make a bit of a mess. My fault for not winterizing it properly and realizing sooner that it was leaking.

B

BouseBill

New 2015 Big Horn 3570RS only 200 miles on it so far......as of today no leaks noticed on the city water side. I just turned the water pump on and it cycles every 10 or 15 seconds. The search is on now. Dang should have done that before we left the lot :eek: Hopefully it's just a bad OEM pump. We usually replace the pump with an aftermarket pump anyway.