New Dodge

Blessed

FLSTS03 said:
nhunter,
you are correct 4.10's are rated 23000,I had to settle for 3.73's @21000 GCVW, this is why I'm a little concerned about going ahead with the Augusta I'm negotiating for.

I retired last year from Chrysler. I was debating on the proper axle ratio since my trailer weighs 16,000# when I am pulling it. I talked to the development engineer. He told me the only reason the 4.10 has 2000# more towing capacity is because they have an acceleration test at full load on an incline. You need the higher axle ratio to accelerate faster. Therefore, I went with the 3.73. It tows beautifully.

cdbMidland

Past Michigan Chapter Leader
Blessed said:
I retired last year from Chrysler. I was debating on the proper axle ratio since my trailer weighs 16,000# when I am pulling it. I talked to the development engineer. He told me the only reason the 4.10 has 2000# more towing capacity is because they have an acceleration test at full load on an incline. You need the higher axle ratio to accelerate faster. Therefore, I went with the 3.73. It tows beautifully.

The reason I went with the 4.10 on mine was to get to the 23,000 GCWR. I had also read that one were in a serious accident and the reconstruction put the weights above the GCWR, then the owner could be held liable and insurance might not pay. Is this true or not?

Also, I am somewhat over my GVWR on the 3500 dually when I am towing. What is the "weak link" that I may be abusing? Certainly it shouldn't be the powertrain if I am under for the GCWR.

Pulltab

I had also read that one were in a serious accident and the reconstruction put the weights above the GCWR, then the owner could be held liable and insurance might not pay. Is this true or not?

I have read the same thing many times but think about it, the reason for insurance is to protect the ignorant (which would be us :) ) . If that was the case insurance would never pay for accidents that drunks cause. Of course the best policy is protect yourself.

FLSTS03 said:
Whiteelephant,
My 1st choice was a mega as well, was not looking forward to 3yr grandson kicking me in the back and I loved the space, since we were looking at a landmark & 3670rl the weights listed for the Mega scared me off,for that matter I'm concerned about the trailer being too heavy for my quad dually. The same gcvw but picked up another 2k gvwr so I went with quad. How is your mega handling your cyclone, as it appears also to be a heavy trailer? Steve

The trailer is long and and it's heavy. But I'm getting used to it. I think it will be slightly over the limit as far a weight is concerned when it's fully loaded.:rolleyes: I have not had the opportunity yet to load it down with all our toys.
I do know that with a full water tank (110 gals/880lbs extra), the truck pulled great! Felt like I had pleanty of power to spare. I could maintain 65mph with my foot barely pressing the accelorator (no hills). It felt very stable and smooth going down the highway. No concerns as of yet...

Loaded up all the toys and went to Lake Murray Oklahoma this past weekend. All I can say is...:DIT WAS AWESOME!!!!:D The Truck pulled the trailer smoother than I expected. I was even bucking about a 10~15 mph north wind. The truck had no problems at all. Plenty of power to spare.

We had alot of people drooling over our Cyclone. We had to give several tours. I probably could of sold two or three of 'em if I were a dealer.;)

Anyway, I'm very happy with the trucks performance and handling/stability. The factory engine brake worked like a charm.

NOTE: I have not yet traveled in the high country (the mountains). That will be sometime in the near future. But, for flat ground, I think it is plenty of truck.

FLSTS03

I can't seem to get my wife to even consider a Toy Hauler. We own a Heritage Springer and it would be great to have the bike with us, but the main reason I wanted one was I thought the garage would make a cool place for our grandson & any of his travling companions to hangout and sleep. The Cyclone is a very nice unit...Ya'll have fun.

Steve

nhunter said:
Did you get a chance to get weighed?

Not yet... Kind of afraid to..:eek:

If I had to guess, it would be a little over 16k. Maybe, pushing 17k.

If the above is true. I'm slightly over the truck's specs. When loaded, the trunk only sags about 4 inches. I believe that having the toys in the back lowers the pin weight a bit.

When traveling down the highway, if a dip was encountered, the truck did not bottom out at all and remaind stable.

I've been told I drive like my Dad anyway. I never get in a hurry and I try to stay out of other peoples way.

Pulltab

I can tell you that I have the quad cab and my Bighorn is just about at 14,000 fully loaded and that the whole combination is 22,840 lbs, just 160 lbs shy of the legal limit. If you are at 17k on the trailer you are difinetly well over your GCWR even if you have the 4:10 FYI

Happy Campers

Pulltab,what gear ratio do you have ?,and do you expect the fuel mileage to increase with more miles on the truck when your not towing.
Thanks.

Pulltab

Happy Campers said:
Pulltab,what gear ratio do you have ?,and do you expect the fuel mileage to increase with more miles on the truck when your not towing.
Thanks.

I have the 4:10, and yes I expect the mileage to get a little better but doubt it will ever be impressive. I did just fillup and last tank I go a little of over 15, that was after I had a relash of the computer. That did not include any towing though.

Pulltab

Happy Campers said:
i'm thinking about looking at the mega cab dually with the long bed but usually when i look it comes home with me.

I know 'that' feeling! I always have told my wife I DON"T WANT TO GO! I WILL BUY SOMETHING! she never listens and we always end up with something new...................HEY you don't suppose she has figured that out yet do you :)

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
Who does not make an 8ft bed dully with the mega cab. I have an 05 Dodge 3500 dully with the extended cab (full back set with 4 doors) and 8ft bed.

jpmorgan37

This is an excerpt from AOL Autos 2008 3500 complete review: From the side, the Mega Cab makes an even more dramatic impression. Very wide rear doors are unique to the immense Mega Cab, with a very large proportion of window glass to door. The dark glass rear doors and wide pillar suggest a limousine, and interior volume reinforces the impression. Behind this huge cab, the bed looks small, but it remains significantly large: 6 feet, 3 inches in length and 51 inches wide between the wheel wells. There is no factory long-bed Mega Cab so use a sliding hitch for your fifth-wheel.
Long-bed Ram dually models have fender flares that look tacked on but are often cheaper to repair after impact, compared with the more integrated designs from Chevy, GMC, and Ford. The Dodge Ram 3500 Mega Cab offers a striking presence, taking the Big Rig look to another level. From the front, a more refined crosshair grille with strong, full-chrome collar remains instantly recognizable as a strong Dodge Ram signature. With the front-end restyled last year and a dual-rear wheel option added after introduction, the tail now gets attention with new taillight styling similar to the Dodge Durango and Dakota.

Last edited:

Happy Campers

PullTab,with those gears and the bigger motor i wouldn't expect a lot better fuel mileage but surely with a few more miles it will get better.I'm hoping someone with the 3.73 gears dually will post their fuel mileage so i can get an idea if i really want to trade up or not.
Decisions to make.