New Dodge

jpmorgan37

According to the Dodge website, you can get the 3500 Quad Cab with an 8 foot bed, but not the Mega Cab. It only comes with the 6.25 foot bed. Check it out Here Being a Ford person, I wasn't sure so I thought I would try to find out.

Hope this helps

John

Happy Campers

John,there is a place in S. Texas that makes them.he takes a new mega cab and swaps the short bed with the long bed using the same color so no painting is involved.He stretches the frame 20 " and it's darn good looking.

jpmorgan37

That really sounds neat. Sorta like the 4500 with the Hauler bed that came into the park last week. One good looking rig and I couldn't get over how quiet it was, especially for a Cummins.

Take care,

John

5erWonk

JP,

You suggest a slider hitch with the Megacab, I have not had any isues with the front cap on my BH on the short bed.

nhunter

Happy Campers said:
John,there is a place in S. Texas that makes them.he takes a new mega cab and swaps the short bed with the long bed using the same color so no painting is involved.He stretches the frame 20 " and it's darn good looking.

I saw that but I'm sure he charges a pretty penny. Any way the factory engineers dropped the ball on that one. Who would want a long box?;) Silly Ford and GM

jpmorgan37

Bob;
I didn't recommend a slider. I just copied an excerpt from AOL Autos 2008 3500 review and they were recommending the slider with the 6.25 box on the Mega Cab. I'm sure that with some other brands, this would be true. I think that it's been proven that with the 88 degree design on the front on the Heartland fifth wheels, you can safely turn without using a slider. I'm sorry if my post missled you.

John

Ron Schoner

Tin Star
Well Dodge has come out with a new truck! 2008 4500/5500. Check out the newest issue (January) of Trailer Life Magazine.

All you need now is a aftermarket towing bed. And off we go. I will be heading to my dealer Monday and see what they say about the new 4500/5500.

Ron

Happy Campers

nhunter said:
I saw that but I'm sure he charges a pretty penny. Any way the factory engineers dropped the ball on that one. Who would want a long box?;) Silly Ford and GM

His price is between 6-$7k or it was when i talked to him.I want a mega cab for the room in the back seat and i need a long bed. :)

nhunter

Not as bad as I thought, but still steep when Dodge could have done it and it would have cost $600.

BluegrassMan

Guy's:
I was told at my local Diesel Garage (where I buy my Stanadyne), Dodge is coming out with a 4500 PICKUP in the spring. I guess Ford got everyone ONE up for 08' having the 450 pick em'up. I can't get over how short my turning radius is compared to my Dodge Quad. It turns closer than GM too. That helps when your trailer is almost 38'.

Happy Campers

I have been calling a few dealers who i know and they all seem to be in the dark about a 4500 pick-up.I asked if i could put a long bed on the 4500 cab-chassis and one told me i might but the chassis length is different.The 4500 would leave a 4" space between the cab and the bed and another dealer told me the frame is a little narrower then the 3500 but he is calling a rep and will get back to me.I know the 3500 and 4500 have the same cab and i'm looking for a bigger back seat.I can still get a new 07 with the 5.9L which is a well proven engine (the 6.7 isnt) but it will be loaded down with all the smog and probably suffer a little power.The first dealer was telling me how good the 6.7 is and the great fuel mileage yada,yada and then i told him the fuel mileage sucks.Of course that started a big argument and then i asked him if that engine is so great then why does the oil have to be changed every 3,000 mi.When he started flapping his lips i just laid the phone down gently.I never hang up on anybody,well not usually and besides he seemed like a nice guy.

medic9016

We had a 5500 pull up next to us last Sunday. It was a short bed. I know they have three chassis for the standard cab and two chassis for the quad cab. I priced one out today with the quad cab 4x4 laramie package and a few upgrades, for our area it priced a 50k.

osims

bsims
Happy Camper- I have an 07 3500 drw Dodge with the 6.7 Cummings, the milage was a little off at first , I now have 20k miles and the milage is pretty close to my 05. I get between 17 and 19mpg on the highway empty and 11 to 13 when pulling the Bighorn. My oil change alert is running between 5k and 6k . The engine brake and tranny make this truck for superior to the 5.9. I have never had any alarms or lights, it is a good truck, dont let some websites like Turbo Desiel Reg. turn you off of the truck it is usually the same guys griping over and over.

Happy Campers

Thanks guys for the confidence and this is what i just found out.The 4500 and i'm speaking about this truck but it might include the 5500.I can get a 4500 with a pick-up bed but it's a Sterling and won't have any Dodge badges.Sterling truck
The rep told me the Western bed would fit nice on it but i'm wanting a pick-up bed.He also told me the frame is straight and not curved around the rear axle which would put the bed way too high for a fifth wheel hitch.Another thing he said is dodge is going to make at least a 4500 pick-up but not at this time.After considering the mega-cab long bed i'm not sure i want to go with the added expense of getting it stretched.If i'm serious about getting another truck i think this is the time of year.