New Flooring

MCTalley

Freshened up our Big Country the past couple of days with new tile flooring in the kitchen and vinyl plank wood flooring in the living room. Rather than clutter up the forum with pictures and copy-pasting how-to information, here are links to our blog posts on each subject:

Kitchen Flooring

Living Room Flooring

Gentlemen, I apologize in advance for making your lives more complicated.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Malcolm - I'm really impressed. You did a great job. Now it feels a little more homey.

djlogan

Looks great. Two quick questions please: any particular reason you selected Shaw over any other flooring product?
what is the thickness of each plank?

DougS

Doug S
Malcolm, your flooring looks great. Since we replaced our flooring and removed the rug the daily up keep is so much easier. We also think it freshens up the RV.

VKTalley

Great job!!! Looks great and I bet will be much easier to keep clean

Im thinking so too! I bought a dust mop yesterday for quick cleaning and a BISSELL Natural Sweep Dual Brush Sweeper, or as my kids called them from their school days, a Hogie. No more dragging the vacuum cleaner hose out every time I need to clean. My cat will be much happier with that hose not coming out. :)

MCTalley

Looks great. Two quick questions please: any particular reason you selected Shaw over any other flooring product?
what is the thickness of each plank?

We liked the colors they had in the Shaw products, plus they are interlocking and floating. I didn't fancy gluing down the entire floor (or using peel-and-stick). They are a shade over 1/8" thick, about the same as most peel and stick tiles.

jimtoo

Hi MCT,

The floor job looks really good. Great work.

I did put a blinder on this thread so that none of the ladies could see it. Keep some of the men from having a problem. :)

Jim M

olcoon

Great job Malcolm, if Sally sees this I've got another project in my future!

Jim, thanks for the blinder, now maybe Sally won't see it! BTW, don't you lift the blinder so she can see it!!! :rolleyes:

jimtoo

Jim, thanks for the blinder, now maybe Sally won't see it! BTW, don't you lift the blinder so she can see it!!! :rolleyes:

Well Roy,,,I just might send Sally the code,,, that is unless,, well my bank account is getting a little thin.. :)

VKTalley

So sorry, Roy, but I posted this project on FB. ;) She has already seen the living room floor and the kitchen floor redo.

JimHamlin

I was in Lowes the other day looking at their floating vinyl flooring, and notice there's generally 2 different thicknesses - 3mm, which is close to 1/8", and another thicker/heavier product. Just curious what thickness you all have used successfully in your rig? I would lean towards the heavier stuff but am concerned about clearance for the slides. I recall reading somewhere that a couple had to place some thin plexiglass down before closing their slides, to get them to ride over the vinyl flooring without scratching them. Guess I better get busy - the wife's starting to get serious about dog-smells in our BigHorn carpet!

Jim

JimHamlin

Forgot to ask in my previous post - Has anyone had a problem with the smell of their new vinyl flooring? This question reminds me of a steering wheel cover I bought from W'Mart last year. I had to remove it, it smelled of rubber so bad!

MCTalley

I think ours is 3mm. No smell to speak of. We have a couple 1/4 inch thick chipboards with rubber shelf liner glued to one side that we put down on the floor for the slides to ride on. The slide runners were quickly eating up the surface where they rode on them in transit (and some scratching from putting the slides in and out).