New Heartland NT owner

Butterfly

We noticed a lot of clanking and popping sounds coming from underneath our 2012 NT 26 LRSS that we don't think is the hitch or equalizer. Many blogs say this is normal, still we're concerned as we would like to take it out soon. The dealer just says to bring it in..where it will sit for weeks, and we just got it!!! Anyone else experience this? Thanks.

jimtoo

Hi Butterfly,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

Could you give us a little more information about the noise. When it happens, towing fast, slow, on turns or stopping. Also what your towing with and type of hitch.

Enjoy the forum and your NorthTrail.

Jim M

bikerbob

Hello Good ? As my four-point Equilzer Hitch Pops n Squeks when i turn or turn into a gas station. I was told that is normal n don`t greese it its suppse to be Dry. Drives the Wife Crazy. We can`t have that can we ? LoL I just Luv this Forum so i know i`m not the only one that makes Silly mistakes..

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Bikerbob,

I have an equalizer hitch and pulling a NT 31BDSS. The manual for the equalizer does state theat certain areas require grease and other areas such as the L brackets will be less noisy and last much longer if lightly greased. I now lightly grease the L brackets and make sure the socket arm surfaces and ball are well grease. It makes for a nice quiet ride. I have not noticed too much issue with sway even in strong winds.

The equalizerhitch.com web site has specific details under support FAQs.If you prefer not using grease on the L brackets they also sell a product called a bracket jacket that is basically a piece of slick plastic that will reduce the noise however, it will also reduce the friction the most for sway control.

Last edited:

tmcran

When I had a TT I always greased the L,s and ball. Have to be careful are u get grease everywhere. Does greatly reduse the noise.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
What dealer in TX? I know a few good ones there. Don't grease the ball, grease attracts dirt and causes wear. (apply a HD Glad Bag over it and hook it up)

Butterfly

The clanking and popping sounds are definitely coming from the bottom, the axles perhaps, and not as bad when backing up. We moved it tonight using only the ball hitch and on some uneven terrain but the clanking sounded like metal on metal with popping sounds, like a tin roof in the hot sun. We have only had it on the road once, when we brought it home about 5 miles on rural roads doing about 45 mph at most, so no experience on interstate yet. Nervous. Dealer had it brought in from Dallas and they didn't hear this?! Is this normal with the widetrack double axle suspension?

Butterfly

The sound coming from the bottom at the double axle when moving slowly, worse going forward. We have been on rural, uneven terrain mostly, no interstate yet. Many forums say is normal, but so loud!! It sounds like it is going to break, like the axles are going to snap! Is not the hitch or equalizer bars, from underneath. Towing with 2010 Tundra 5.7 liter. Thanks so much.

dl_camps

Hi Butterfly,
We are having the same issue with our new 21FBS. It sounds like it's falling apart underneath. I have to run back to the dealer today to pick up some bug screens, so I will be asking him about this. Like you, we are concerned about this. We backed it up into our shed and I couldn't believe the noise. Sure hope we can do something about it.

PeternLiane

Our SOB TT made a lot of noise. The dealer, manufacturer and other TT owners said that this is normal. Our 22FBS makes the same noise. Everything appears normal and squeaks normal. I'd be interested in what the dealers and Heartland say about the noises.

pegmikef

What dealer in TX? I know a few good ones there. Don't grease the ball, grease attracts dirt and causes wear. (apply a HD Glad Bag over it and hook it up)

I have the EAZ-LIFT WD Hitch and the manual and on line instructions specify that the ball and L ends of the torsion bars are to be lightly greased with a good quality grease. I have done this faithfully and have almost no noise and raising and lowering the tongue off of/on to the ball works much more smoothly. Sorry, but I am one to follow the manufacturer instructions. I also clean the grease off the ball when I unhitch.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The sound coming from the bottom at the double axle when moving slowly, worse going forward. We have been on rural, uneven terrain mostly, no interstate yet. Many forums say is normal, but so loud!! It sounds like it is going to break, like the axles are going to snap! Is not the hitch or equalizer bars, from underneath. Towing with 2010 Tundra 5.7 liter. Thanks so much.

I wonder if the noise has something to do with the lubrication of the bushings in the suspension? Lippert has a never fail bushing upgrade that claims permanent lubrication and no noise.
http://www.lci1.com/index.php?optio...ion-upgrades-a-enhancements&catid=34:products

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Butterfly, I suggest checking the shackle bolts & nuts and spring u-bolts for proper torque. I don't know the torque value because they are based on bolt size. 65 lbs would be a safe starting point though.
Another possible thing to check would be a loose wheel. All lugs should be checked frequently.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Butterfly, I suggest checking the shackle bolts & nuts and spring u-bolts for proper torque. I don't know the torque value because they are based on bolt size. 65 lbs would be a safe starting point though.
Another possible thing to check would be a loose wheel. All lugs should be checked frequently.

The manual states the torque values for the spring eye nuts and equalizer nuts to a minimum of 45 ft-lbs and a maximum of 70 ft-lbs.

creeper

Is it a creaking/popping sound when you're are doing turning? If so it's probably the leaf springs as the wheels torque. Mine sounded like something was breaking each time I pulled out of the driveway. It's caused by rust build up between the leaf springs.

Lubricating the leaf springs greatly decreased the popping/creaking. After I replaced the springs it completely went away. I put a rubber undercoating on the new leaves to slow rust build up.