New Member, New Owner, Needs help buying a new hitch.

Hello. i am so excited we have finally switched from an Airstream trailer to a Heartland 365 Newport. wow, lots more room. so we are purchasing a new truck. two quetions. do we want a long bed or is a short bed ok? best hitch and easiest to hook up.

jimtoo

Hi juneausilver,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other members will jump in soon with some recommendations for you.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

I started a new thread just for you also.

danemayer

Hello. i am so excited we have finally switched from an Airstream trailer to a Heartland 365 Newport. wow, lots more room. so we are purchasing a new truck. two quetions. do we want a long bed or is a short bed ok? best hitch and easiest to hook up.

You'll need a 1 ton dually to get the tow capacity and payload capacity for a Newport. That may put you in a long bed by default.

Sniper

Congratulations! I agree with Dan on the 1 ton dually which will pretty much make your bed 8ft, as far as hitches I only have working knowledge (although we researched what seemed like at least 50 of them) of the B & W Companion Hitch rated @ #20,000 with it I can simple look in the rear view mirror and tell when the lever has moved to fully engaged. Then its just a matter of putting the locking pin in which can be a hassle due to it's location and my arm reach, or lack there of. In the mean time I suggest you do all the internet research you can do on both a suitable truck and hitch based on the LOADED weight of your awesome new 5th wheel. I hope it brings you many years of enjoyment.

Safe travels. :)

jam20ster

+1 on the dually. You will thank yourself once you get out on the road towing. As far as hitch I have a Reese 20K Titan. So far so good. I like the fact that it has visual indicators to let you know once the jaws have locked around pin.

Skywrench

Full Timer
I don't have much experiance with 5th wheel hitches but I did a ton of research and also decided on the B&W Companion. I love it so far. Best part is to be able to remove the hitch in a manner of minutes to free up the bed for other uses.

You will want at least a one ton dually, diesel. All three manufactures make good products. All three have there good and bad points. So, it's pretty much a mater of preference. You most probably do not need 4 wheel drive unless you plan on towing your new 365 through mud holes. You also do not need an a low rear end given the astronomical horsepower and torque these new diesels have. (A high rear differential number = low rear end.) Not getting a 4 wheel drive and a low rear end will give you a little better mileage. I would also recommend getting a factory installed under the bed 5th wheel hitch assembly option (Ford and Dodge offers this. The 2015 Chevys and GMC do not, maybe 2016 models will.) The cost of getting an under bed hitch assembly is actually less than having rails put on after market. I own a 2015 F350 now and have had an F250 and Ram HD2500.

I now have a B&W hitch. I am really impressed with the quality of its construction and the ease in which it hitches and, more importantly, unhitches. I have not noticed any chucking with this hitch even though my rig does not have an anti chucking attachment.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I think that the 4-wheel drive is a must have when towing or backing big trailers . . .

There have been many times (including when I park our trailer in our side yard) on gravel where needing the 4-wheel drive to keep from spinning the tires, or the occasional dirt or gravel incline.

Kinda' like my slider hitch . . . I may not need it . . . but it is there if I do need it!

MTPockets

F350 or 3500 series DRW. 4WD. This is the minimum truck you will need.. You could go with F450 or 5500 series trucks, but then you may have insurance premiums that you wouldn't like.

Sniper

F350 or 3500 series DRW. 4WD. This is the minimum truck you will need.. You could go with F450 or 5500 series trucks, but then you may have insurance premiums that you wouldn't like.
When I traded in my F-150 for my F-350 my registration almost tripled and my insurance a little more than doubled. True story.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 1tn DRW is a must as most if not all "365's" have a GVW of 18K. A long bed is nice to have...I love mine.

For20hunter

Pacific Region Directors-Retired
Juneasilver,

Welcome! I hope if you ever get down to the lower 48 you will try and make a Rally or two.

Another recommendation for a 1 Ton DRW here.

Depending on which truck you get, you can get a factory prep for 5th wheel hitch and then if you buy a B&W or Reese or many of the other recommended hitches you can have them mounted without rails so when you take it out to haul something, you have no rails or mounting hardware in your bed.

Rod

simsfmly

Ohio Chapter Leaders-retired
Welcome to the Heartland Family! Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club.

I think Dan Mayer was all over it (as you will find he is often).

Congrats on the new Heartland!

beck-mark

I just did a lot of research on it and decided on the B&W companion. my other top choice was the pullrite OE. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the top rated brands of hitches. I preferred hitches made in the USA over foreign made. the new truck I have on order has the 5th wheel hitch prep package so will not need rails its all underbed. hitch was just delivered wed and is still in boxes in garage.

IronJ

A ford dually gonna be a long bed...companion all the way...dodges have shorter beds if you get the giant cab..superglide all the way...I got a superglide laying in my shop now. ..best slider there is...the 350 has the B&W turnover and the companion....I can tow anything with the combo...or take it all out and have 8ft of real estate to load!..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk