New owner with noisy refrigerator

Hello,

We are new rv owners and just purchased a nt 33bkss. The refrigerator is very loud. Can be heard outside from two campsites away. Also noisy inside. Fan is always running. Is this normal? Asked the dealer and was told its cold, so don't worry about it. Not sure I am satisfied with this answer. Any guidance is appreciated.

Also it is very dark on the inside. Any thoughts on lightening it up by changing the dark wall paper?

thanks!

jimtoo

Hi troberts0303,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I'm sure some of our other NT owners will jump in soon with some help for you. Can you describe the noise better. Is it the fan running or do you have a residential fridge?

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
You might check the fans to make sure a label, tag, paper, loose wire, etc has not gotten into the fan blade area as this can cause a lot of noise.

guyc66

I'm going out on a limb here and say hearing your fridge from two sites away is NOT normal. I would try to assess exactly where the noise is coming from and troubleshoot it from there. It sounds like the dealer doesn't want to help find the cause and may only be interested if and/or when it breaks so they can get paid to repair (or replace) it. Let us know what you find out. Good luck!

danemayer

Gas absorption refrigerators don't have any mechanical moving parts except for fans. If you take the outside louvered covers off and peek inside, you'll probably see something going on with the fans. It's also possible the gas line could be vibrating against something. With the frig running and covers off, you should be able to spot the problem.

ksucats

If your refrigerator is located in a slide out there will normally be a small fan up near the top. Pull the top louvered cover and make sure no insulation has fallen into / close to it. This happened on my last coach and it was very noisy. There might also be a fan down lower on the Heartland products - I have a residential refer in my current coach so I don't know for sure. Other than the fan there is nothing that 'rotates' in an absorption system. One other thing - a suggestion - on our coach the fan was quite small. I replaced it with a five inch computer cooling fan. Much quieter overall and it pulled / pushed more air so the refrigerator actually got colder and held its temperatures better in the hotter days. Neighbor saw what I did and did me one better :mad: - he put in one of the color fans so his had a blue glow in the dark. Best wishes on finding the culprit.

I too had a noisy fridge once. The problem was with the condenser fan motor. I had to disconnect the power and then remove the rear access panel.The area should always be kept clear so that the air can move freely and should be vacuumed on a regular basis.

sengli

Those cooling fans on the gas type fridge are temperature controlled. They shouldnt be running unless it thinks its too hot, in your fridge area. Mine have never run in the four years we have used our unit...that I know of anyway.