New Repo RV - Bargain or Bomb?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Good Find TrukNutt! That sale price looks a little high for a 2007. There's a guy here now with a new 2010 3200RE. He told me his purchase price which was VERY close to that 07. True or not I don't know.

I agree with Ray on the price. Based on what we paid for our 2009 2900MK, that appears high for a 2007, especially a repo.

Westwind

Ebay

Be careful, Ebay has rules about fees, once the auction is complete and you are the winning bidder all fees etc. mentioned are yours. Different then dealing with a RV dealer on his lot.

ky-newbie

Not a good deal

:eek: I checked with Heartland on this today. If a unit has been repo'd, there is no warranty. None. Nada. I'm going to let this one pass by.

Thanks for all the feedback.

ky-newbie

Update

Well, below is what the seller replied when I emailed him about the "no warranty" on this repo. I see the reserve hasn't been met yet. I'll bet he's using list price to come up with "less than half price". If it doesn't sell, I may push him a little, and just see what's what.

"No, they don't warranty them. That's why we are selling them as used, however you can register all the appliances as new. If you read any of the RV warranties, they really aren't very good anyway. Food for thought. It's also less than half price, and it's never been used. I would think that is worth something...."

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
KY, you can also buy a service contract on the coach from Good Sam or many other places. Bob:D

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
The seller refused a great bid! I bet he will think it over and give some bidders a "second chance" offer.

ky-newbie

Bob - Can you buy a third party warranty on a unit when the original warranty has expired? I would think they would want coverage in place, before they would sell their coverage. Otherwise, I'd just wait til something broke, then buy their policy, then ask for a repair check the next day. ;o)

The ending bid was a little out of my price range, but like I said before, he may have the unit on his lot for awhile longer. I'll keep his email address, just in case. ;o)

Bob&Patty

KY, you can buy an extended warrenty at any time. The extended warrenties have nothing to do with new or used. They are a service contract. Just for grins and giggles, call good sam and ask them about buying a warrenty and give them to information on that coach. Bob:D

Hi .. another newbie. My question is ... IF it is a repo, how is it new? I thought the meaning of repo is someone bought it and company came and took it back? Please edjumacate me! : > )

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Hi .. another newbie. My question is ... IF it is a repo, how is it new? I thought the meaning of repo is someone bought it and company came and took it back? Please edjumacate me! : > )

When dealers have RVs on their lots most dealers have them "floor planned" which means a bank or some financial institution has financed them. The dealer has a certain amount of time (usually 90-120 days) to sell the unit before additional financing charges accrue. If a dealer does not or is unable to pay the floor plan then the unit will get repossessed. Most auto dealers work the same way. So a brand new never been sold unit can be repoed.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
When dealers have RVs on their lots most dealers have them "floor planned" which means a bank or some financial institution has financed them. The dealer has a certain amount of time (usually 90-120 days) to sell the unit before additional financing charges accrue. If a dealer does not or is unable to pay the floor plan then the unit will get repossessed. Most auto dealers work the same way. So a brand new never been sold unit can be repoed.
Which leaves me wondering. If it's never been titled, why it can't be sold as new and have a factory warranty? Doesn't make much sense but if that's the way it works, so be it...:rolleyes:

Bob&Patty

Ray, that was my thought also. Maybe there is more to the story than the dealer is not telling. Bob:D

jbeletti

Only a guess on my part, but a new unit that has been sitting on a dealer or multiple dealer lots for a year or two "may/can" have issues related to routine maintenance. Specifically, caulked joints inspections (every 6 months) and re-caulking as needed. Caulking shrinks and if these caulked joints are not maintained, then they can become leak points. Leaks in RVs are not a good thing of course.

That all said, my sense of how a unit is maintained that has set on one or more lots for one or more years is that there's a good chance there may/can be some maintenance issues that need to be addressed right away and potentially some damage from lack of maintenance.

Here again, this is my guess and my sense - it is not from my experience, nor is this a Heartland factory statement.

Who should pay for negligence / lack of maintenance on a 1 or 2 year old "new" unit? Should the factory? What it their fault?

Should the retail purchaser? Were they complicit in any way?

It won't be the dealer that's out-of-business - that's for sure.

My sense it that the retail customer will take on the burden and the price they will pay for the unit should be reflective of that burden.

Now, there are many cases where a dealer goes belly-up and the product is moved by the manufacturer or floor plan holder, to another dealer, quickly. And there are a lot of great dealers out there that in these situation, go over this inventory very well to bring it up to speed/maintain it.

So repossessed inventory can run the gamut. Inspect it well and pay the right amount based on the condition it's in and what you'll have to do to it.

Jim

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
Only a guess on my part, but a new unit that has been sitting on a dealer or multiple dealer lots for a year or two "may/can" have issues related to routine maintenance. Specifically, caulked joints inspections (every 6 months) and re-caulking as needed. Caulking shrinks and if these caulked joints are not maintained, then they can become leak points. Leaks in RVs are not a good thing of course.

That all said, my sense of how a unit is maintained that has set on one or more lots for one or more years is that there's a good chance there may/can be some maintenance issues that need to be addressed right away and potentially some damage from lack of maintenance.

Here again, this is my guess and my sense - it is not from my experience, nor is this a Heartland factory statement.

Who should pay for negligence / lack of maintenance on a 1 or 2 year old "new" unit? Should the factory? What it their fault?

Should the retail purchaser? Were they complicit in any way?

It won't be the dealer that's out-of-business - that's for sure.

My sense it that the retail customer will take on the burden and the price they will pay for the unit should be reflective of that burden.

Now, there are many cases where a dealer goes belly-up and the product is moved by the manufacturer or floor plan holder, to another dealer, quickly. And there are a lot of great dealers out there that in these situation, go over this inventory very well to bring it up to speed/maintain it.

So repossessed inventory can run the gamut. Inspect it well and pay the right amount based on the condition it's in and what you'll have to do to it.

Jim

Very well and wisely put!