New to the forum...Hello everyone. I have a question re: backing with WDH installed

tybecca

The question I have is: While using the WDH, I feel like I should "disconnect" the bars as I am backing into the space. Is this necessary? Not new to camping and backing, but have never used a WDH. I'll be installing our new WDH this weekend and we'll be going out next weekend. Just trying to get info prior to taking our new (new to us)...2010 Edge M-21 out for her maiden voyage. Thanks for your input.

Ty

jimtoo

Hi Ty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When I had a TT (few years back) I did not disconnect the bars when I backed into spots. I'm sure you will get more responses from our other members soon.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
TY:
When I purchased my North Trail and WDH the Dealer expressed to always unhook the bars as it could cause a bind and problems...But I think he must have meant the sliding bar and for a time I used to disconnect, I cannot see how not doing so would cause a problem. The Bars are on chain links and they sway, so if I am backing up, they move as well. I am not an expert on this, but I no longer disconnect the bars, but I do take off the crank down sliding bar. No issues thus far. Hope this of some help....

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Do not disconnect the WDH bars. You should loosen/disconnect the anti-sway bar, if you have one, though. When you have the trailer where you want it, then disconnect the WDH after raising the tongue off the hitch ball.

BigJim45

Luv'n Life
The question I have is: While using the WDH, I feel like I should "disconnect" the bars as I am backing into the space. Is this necessary? Not new to camping and backing, but have never used a WDH. I'll be installing our new WDH this weekend and we'll be going out next weekend. Just trying to get info prior to taking our new (new to us)...2010 Edge M-21 out for her maiden voyage. Thanks for your input.

Ty

Ty

As Jim said, no it is not necessary to unhook your bars.
When we had our bumper pull always left it hook when
backing up.

By the way......Welcome to the Heartland Owners Family

tybecca

Thanks Jim, We're excited to be a part of this cool forum. I appreciate all the info.

Hi Ty,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

When I had a TT (few years back) I did not disconnect the bars when I backed into spots. I'm sure you will get more responses from our other members soon.

Also be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Jim M

tybecca

Thanks JohnDar...great info. I appreciate it.

Do not disconnect the WDH bars. You should loosen/disconnect the anti-sway bar, if you have one, though. When you have the trailer where you want it, then disconnect the WDH after raising the tongue off the hitch ball.

tybecca

Thanks Doublegranch. I appreciate your input and will try it.

TY:
When I purchased my North Trail and WDH the Dealer expressed to always unhook the bars as it could cause a bind and problems...But I think he must have meant the sliding bar and for a time I used to disconnect, I cannot see how not doing so would cause a problem. The Bars are on chain links and they sway, so if I am backing up, they move as well. I am not an expert on this, but I no longer disconnect the bars, but I do take off the crank down sliding bar. No issues thus far. Hope this of some help....

tybecca

Thanks for the info BigJim45...and thanks for the greeting.

Ty

As Jim said, no it is not necessary to unhook your bars.
When we had our bumper pull always left it hook when
backing up.

By the way......Welcome to the Heartland Owners Family

tybecca

Thanks for the warm welcom jimtoo. I believe this is going to be the beginning of a great friendship with all the folks on here. Hopefully we will be able to attend some of the rallys.

Hi Ty,

Jim M