New to the group and new 5ver User, need some towing advice please.

porthole

Retired
Brad, I don't see what pin box you went with???

Your air pressure seems way too high.
On level ground, with the bags empty (as in the hose disconnected) bounce the truck and take a measurement.
You have to measure the same place every time. And if you are using the wheel wells, keep in mind a level vehicle can have a difference of up to an inch from side to side.

"Visually" look at the truck to get an attitude front to rear.
Hook up your trailer and measure again.

With my GMC I set bag pressure to have the truck level when hooked up. It was about 1-2" rear high unloaded.
I used three pressures most of the time, depending on whether the garage was empty, 1 toy or two. The most I used was 60 psi.

When you weighed the truck and trailer, did you drop the trailer and go right back for a re-weigh" That would have been ideal to see what the front axle was seeing.

With the new truck I am running 45-65 psi in the hitch bags, my hitch uses two bags. And the one time I checked the air ride pressure loaded up it had about 50 psi. My trucks air bags are not supllemental, they are the springs.

blong

Duane

We ended up getting a 5th airbourne and seemed to be good at about 75lbs. As for the truck air bags, I did try many different pressures as we have the wireless compressor control kit, so adjusting while driving was simple, even on the way home with the water tank completely empty, 80 lbs still seems to be the best as far as controlling the chucking and quality of the ride. The new 11 GMC's seem pretty soft in the back end as compared to the 05 chevy dually I had before this, so perhaps that is why the high numbers, not sure.

I did measure the truck heights when i installed the pin box, as i had to lower it to get the trailer sitting level with just 50 lbs in the truck bags, rear end was still down from original height, so even at 80 lbs i bet i am still down about 1/2 from original and the same heigth as stock at the front. I am going to check it again at 80 to be sure it not hitting up the front axle too hard when we take it again next weekend. (Back to dealer for some warranty work, mostly minor stuff except for the crooked bedroom slide)

thanks

porthole

Retired
That is a real benefit to that wireless kit.
Makes sense with your 5th airborne pressure. 1 bag compare against my 2 bag hitch.

iPhone using Tapatalk