new unit - bad battery, now 120 AC issues

JHalsell

We purchased our RV in Feb (2023) but finally just got 120/30a power professionally connected. The DC power went out because our original battery was bad. We replaced it and now hooked up to power. BUT the fridge will only show an E3 error (low/high voltage cutout). and the stereo system no longer works.
I have reset the main power breaker in the fuse box. The elec plug on the wall by the stereo does work.
Any Suggestions?

wdk450

Can you use a digital AC voltmeter to get numeric readings on the power supplying these appliances? These can be bought for reasonable prices (Harbor Freight Tools or EBay). Measure the AC voltage at the power outlets for each of these items to start. You might try using a long outdoor extension cord to DIRECTLY connect these devices to the shorepower source to see if the problems remain and know if the problems are the devices or the RV AC power system.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
It sounds like you have lost your 12 volt DC power.
Have you checked the battery voltage?
You didn't state what model your rig is but I suggest checking for a manual reset 12 volt circuit breaker. If equiped you will be looking for a tiny reset button located on the side of a 12 volt breaker found on a bank of red covered breakers near the battery.
Also make sure your converter is plugged in.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave

JHalsell

Can you use a digital AC voltmeter to get numeric readings on the power supplying these appliances? These can be bought for reasonable prices (Harbor Freight Tools or EBay). Measure the AC voltage at the power outlets for each of these items to start. You might try using a long outdoor extension cord to DIRECTLY connect these devices to the shorepower source to see if the problems remain and know if the problems are the devices or the RV AC power system.
Thank you. My electrician chk'd all the receptacles for power rating after we connected power. All seem in line.

JHalsell

It sounds like you have lost your 12 volt DC power.
Have you checked the battery voltage?
You didn't state what model your rig is but I suggest checking for a manual reset 12 volt circuit breaker. If equiped you will be looking for a tiny reset button located on the side of a 12 volt breaker found on a bank of red covered breakers near the battery.
Also make sure your converter is plugged in.
Let us know what you find.

Peace
Dave
Thank You. Update. It showed the orig battery was bad. We replaced it and now the 2nd is showing bad already. Something is draining and ruining the batteries. Not gonna hook up a new one until I get something done. I wondered about a power/inverter but don't see anything in my owners manual. I will try to find something by following the positive wire from the battery. The model is Prowler 280RK. Going to call Heartland and the dealership again but they haven't been much help. Plus, I live 100 miles from that/nearest dealer. Thanks, again.

david-steph2018

If you don't have a residential fridge, you probably would not have an inverter installed. The inverter takes the 12VDC and converts it to 120VAC.

If your rig is parked without shore power, there are a few items that will still be on 12VDC power. These could be the LP detector, radio, and maybe a backup camera (depending how it is installed).
The first two will drain your battery over a period of time.

Another thing, if when installing the battery, if the negative/positive cables were installed backwards, or even touched the wrong post, it could had blown the fuses in/for the converter. As mentioned, when on shore power check your converter to see if there is power coming out to keep the battery charged.

JHalsell

Hey All,
Thanks for the insights. Didn't realize I never updated this. We ordered a new power converter since we tested power going in was good but not coming out. Still no power. When we were replacing the original one, we saw a spark behind it (under fridge, lower cabinet, behind converter area).
During mfg, there was a part of the Romex that was cut and arc'd intermittently losing all power to the converter. Therefore, all DC functions would not work. Luckily, the local RV dealer re-sold the converter so he refunded out $394 cost.
This pic shows our repair of the wires.

Attachments

• rv wiring issue.jpg
    rv wiring issue.jpg
    625.4 KB · Views: 13