New Unlimited* Plans from AT&T

MCTalley

We're on the fence and will probably wait to see how it shakes out over the next few months. I would love to hear from folks (especially full-timers) on their experiences once they exceed the 22 GB cap.

We're still on our 60 GB plan from back when all the carriers offered double the data at the same price almost two years ago - the one where you lose the discount if you change plans. Some time back, AT&T quit offering 60 GB and switched to 50 or 80. At our current rate, the 50 is more expensive and the 30 is slightly less.

The unlimited plan doesn't qualify for my company discount of 19% that I enjoy now. As such, the unlimited plan would save us about $50 a month. That's not pocket change, but we can easily burn through at least 40 GB a month between my work and general use. If I end up with almost useless internet later in the month due to location and speed throttling then it is not money saved (especially if I end up having to drive to a nearby Starbucks to get some work done).

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
New Unlimited* Plans from AT&T

We're on the fence and will probably wait to see how it shakes out over the next few months. I would love to hear from folks (especially full-timers) on their experiences once they exceed the 22 GB cap.

We're still on our 60 GB plan from back when all the carriers offered double the data at the same price almost two years ago - the one where you lose the discount if you change plans. Some time back, AT&T quit offering 60 GB and switched to 50 or 80. At our current rate, the 50 is more expensive and the 30 is slightly less.

The unlimited plan doesn't qualify for my company discount of 19% that I enjoy now. As such, the unlimited plan would save us about $50 a month. That's not pocket change, but we can easily burn through at least 40 GB a month between my work and general use. If I end up with almost useless internet later in the month due to location and speed throttling then it is not money saved (especially if I end up having to drive to a nearby Starbucks to get some work done).

Malcolm, look at your usage history by device, and see how much each device uses. At most, we have one device using 17GB. The others were less, but the total was close to 40. Also the phones have 10GB of tethering available, (separate from their 22GB limit) so if the hotspot managed to go over 22 and slows down, I plan to use my phone as a hotspot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avvidclif

I just got back from the ATT store, whew....2 hours. I changed from a business plan w/10g of download total (3 Iphones) to a personal plan with 22g of download per device (2 Iphones and a Hotspot) plus the 10g hotspot/Iphone. I ordered the ATT Unite Explore from Ebay while at the store, delivery Sat($144.99). Then get it programmed and I'll know if I did good or not. The bill dropped $5/month before taxes. Plus after 3 months I get a $25/month deduction on DirectTv. Unclear if it's deducted from the phone bill or DirecTv bill. We'll see. I bought the Explore rather than from the store because no contract, it doesn't work out I can change

TravelTiger

I just got back from the ATT store, whew....2 hours. I changed from a business plan w/10g of download total (3 Iphones) to a personal plan with 22g of download per device (2 Iphones and a Hotspot) plus the 10g hotspot/Iphone. I ordered the ATT Unite Explore from Ebay while at the store, delivery Sat($144.99). Then get it programmed and I'll know if I did good or not. The bill dropped $5/month before taxes. Plus after 3 months I get a $25/month deduction on DirectTv. Unclear if it's deducted from the phone bill or DirecTv bill. We'll see. I bought the Explore rather than from the store because no contract, it doesn't work out I can change

Clif, you done good in my book! About the setup I have for us and my small biz.

MCTalley

Re: New Unlimited* Plans from AT&T

Malcolm, look at your usage history by device, and see how much each device uses. At most, we have one device using 17GB. The others were less, but the total was close to 40. Also the phones have 10GB of tethering available, (separate from their 22GB limit) so if the hotspot managed to go over 22 and slows down, I plan to use my phone as a hotspot.

If I can still use my phone as a backup in that case, it might work out. Frankly, 22+10 GB a month is more than adequate for my work. I typically work on stuff locally and transfer files back and forth to my work computer and/or remotely log into it to do a few actions I can't do remotely. My company email is connected whenever I'm working and I use Microsoft apps with cloud storage to keep things sync'd between my laptop and my work computer.

Also, Val would be quick to note that I tend to watch too many YouTube videos. ;)

chiefneon

Howdy!

We had the AT&T unlimited plan bundled with DTV. I called and checked on the new unlimited plan and it reduced our cost by $30.00. It the new unlimited plus plan also give us hotspots on our phones and tablets which we didn't have before. We still receive the discount on the DTV also.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

VKTalley

Re: New Unlimited* Plans from AT&T

If I can still use my phone as a backup in that case, it might work out. Frankly, 22+10 GB a month is more than adequate for my work. I typically work on stuff locally and transfer files back and forth to my work computer and/or remotely log into it to do a few actions I can't do remotely. My company email is connected whenever I'm working and I use Microsoft apps with cloud storage to keep things sync'd between my laptop and my work computer.

Also, Val would be quick to note that I tend to watch too many YouTube videos. ;)

Yes, he does!!! I have to remind him to not use all our data! :mad:

Garypowell

Thanks Erika! We get 30 gig a month and then managed for $135.00/month spread over 5 phones and 1 hotspot. And we have Directv now but phones are on business account so it seems we don't get the $25/month credit.....only $10.

Service is only $20/phone and they are all paid for.....so there might not be a benefit for us.

I also picked up a Verizone account for the overage when we get throttled. Only $35/month which was less with out AT&T overages with our previous plan....and we traveled Canada last year and will again this year.

So I'll look into this in a few days once the dust settles a little.

TravelTiger

Just a followup to this thread about the new AT&T Unlimited* Plans. We are very glad we switched plans. We've been with AT&T since before they were that, starting back in 1993.

Just to compare, prior to the new Unlimited plan, we had 2 smart phones and a hotspot sharing 30GB of data, monthly.

Now, we have 2 smart phones, a hotspot, and a Mobley (OBD in-truck hotspot), with Unlimited* Data for all (*Subject to network management (aka, lower priority and possibly slower speed) at 22GB each device).

The best part, we are now spending about $10 less a month.

I typically use our RV Park wifi during the day while I work -- emailing and downloading and uploading files, connecting to various websites, etc. - But sometimes I do real-time screen-sharing conference calls, and the park wifi is not fast enough to maintain this. -- Recently, I tested it over a number of days. It appears the max download speed of the park is 3mbps! So I use my hotspot when doing the screen-sharing.

With the new AT&T Unlimited* plan, I decided to try a month using the hotspot for all my business needs. (We were stationary, so using a consistent connection.) We used 42GB for the Hotspot, 11GB for My Phone, 20GB for Tony's Phone, and .5GB for the Truck Hotspot (Mobley), for a total of 73.5GB! We did not experience any "Network Management" i.e., slow speeds after we hit the 22GB on the hotspot, but of course, this is a fairly rural part of Texas.

FYI, Verizon is offering "Unlimited" plans, but I understand they are throttling the hotspots and tethered access at 10GB, down to 3G speeds.

MCTalley

Thanks for the update. We're still watching this plan and this thread. Interested in hearing from more folks on their experiences.

lynndiwagoner

I changed from the 30Gb business plan to the unlimited plus last month. This our first full month on the new plan. 2 smartphones plus a hotspot. Just went past 34G here in Dallas with no slow down. I couldn't be happier with the new plan so far.