New water filter system & regulator -- what psi to use?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Hey all, we finally bought a GOOD regulator, an adjustable Watts 263A. Also purchased the 1-micron sediment and 1-micron charcoal filters. Hooked everything up (much like the article in Q-1 Heartland Highlights, thanks Ray!), and initial flow seemed low. After playing with the regulator, we finally got good flow at 45psi. Noticed the psi drops on the gauge when faucets are running. Is this normal? Also saw it creep up to 65psi at one point.

Those of you with a similar system, please advise, what is "normal operation" and what psi setting on the Watts do you use?

Thanks, Erika

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mobilcastle

When it is running the PSI drop is normal I use a Watts-not sure of the number-it works well. I have mine set at about 45 to 50 PSI and the flow is good. Some PSI controllers do not have good flow through rates. I also use a whole house filter system to get good flow through. i have camped where the pressure was extremely high-a controller is a good idea!

danemayer

Erika,

1 micron is pretty tight. After you use it for a while, flow may really slow down. My CBC-KDF 1 micron from the RVWaterFilterStore clogged up and had poor water flow fairly early in its life. After the 2nd one clogged, I switched to filters from the general store in Kerrville.

donr827

I keep my 263A regulator set at 55 pounds and have good water flow to all faucets and the shower.
Don

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I use a 1 micron sediment filter in front of the 1 micron charcoal. If the flow drops, I just change the sediment filter. It's about a third of the cost of the charcoal one. And I have a Watts N55BG regulator after the filters to protect the rig from over pressure. I'll be adding a gauge to the input side of the filters so I can see any difference.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I also am using a house water filter set of Westinghouse Canisters. Using a 5 micron sediment filter and a 2 micron charcoal filter for chlorine taste and odor. I carry two replacements and change them when they look bad or water flow gets bad. This works for us.

The canisters are rated at 100 psi. Normally I can keep my regulator, a Watts N55BG, 6 + GPM through put, on the trailer side to reduce the amount of calcium and such that will mess up the regulator. If the water pressure is over 100 psi I put the regulator on the source side. I do have a gauge on the source side to let me know how much pressure is from the source.

I get the water canisters & filters from Lowes. The gauges, quick disconnects and such from RV Water Filter Store.

One thing to remember. DO NOT use the aluminum connectors with brass connectors. They will weld together by chemical reaction. Use only brass or stainless steel.

Filters Regulator and gauge.jpg

That's what I do.

BC

Speedy

Keep in mind that flow rate and PSI are not the same. I went out and bought a bunch of quick connects/disconnects and found that the cheap ones really restrict flow so I removed them. I have 105 to 120 psi at the hydrant and I run 60 into the coach; went a tap is opened the pressure drops to about 40 psi. Flow rate is now 7.5 gpm with two 5 micron filters installed. I hate low pressure as well as low flow so I have worked hard at reworking or replacing fixtures that restrict flow. Most of the fixtures installed from the factory have restricting disks within the faucet; in fact the outside shower head has the restrictor molded into it. Spin it off sometime and have a look as to why that shower is pretty much useless.

Invizatu

Senior Road Warriors
Erica... the 263 is rated at 4.5 to 5 gpm (I think), the n55bg is rated for 6-9 gpm. Significantly more water flow. Any chance you can take or send back and exchange? Also, most of the regulators that are not adjustable are factory set at 55 psi, so I would think that would be an o.k. setting.
www.rvwaterfilterstore.com / 602-625-1875
Just keep in mind, you are only going to get the maximum amount of flow based on the most restrictive component in the system.
Bret

aatauses

I also have a Watts 263---yes when you turn on a faucet the pressure will go down. I set mine about 40-42 and mine will also go up sometimes when not using water--was told it was because of the water heater???, however never had any real issues.
al
currently in Kenai, Ak

JohnDar

It is normal for the static pressure (all faucets closed) in your lines to drop some when you open a faucet(s). What's left is the residual pressure. Open enough faucets and it could drop to 0. It's something fire pump operators have to be very mindful of when running multiple lines when drawing from a hydrant.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Thanks all, we were testing the system for the first time at the house. Just didn't know what "normal" was.

We purchased our parts from the RV water filter store. Since we are not full timing, we will just have some trial and error to get everything's adjusted "just so".

Bret, thanks for the suggestion, but budget dictated the regulator, and we don't have huge tanks... I don't need that much flow!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

happykraut

Looks like the N55BG has been replaced by the X65BG. The X65BG comes with a 2" black gauge for $89.95 or a 2.5" stainless gauge for $99.95. Is it worth paying an extra $10 for the stainless gauge?

JohnDar

Word of advice on pressure regulators with gauges. If you store andwinterize in northern climes over the winter, don't leave the regulator in the rig. The small amount of water left in the Bourdon tube can freeze and make the gauge useless.

happykraut

John, where were you when I needed you? My gauge worked in Oct and now it's shot. What you describe is probably what happened to it. Thanks for the info.

JohnDar

Probably changing the gauge on my regulator :). Learned this little ($20) lesson early last spring when I was checking my systems.

happykraut

Probably changing the gauge on my regulator :). Learned this little ($20) lesson early last spring when I was checking my systems.
I've replaced the gauge (free) once before. It's not a Watts, so it's probably time for a X65GB, but just don't know which gauge to buy.

piet10

Word of advice on pressure regulators with gauges. If you store andwinterize in northern climes over the winter, don't leave the regulator in the rig. The small amount of water left in the Bourdon tube can freeze and make the gauge useless.

Shucks. Wish I'd seen this in October! After -34 degrees looks like I'll be buying a new gauge.

Al

Bernie55

So that's why my gauge isn't working , never took it out in the fall, and arrived in Fla. in Dec...Yes it's broke...