New York to Rapid City, Devils Tower, Cody, Yellowstone, Colorado Springs, Santa Fe, then on to our winter RV resor

gfnesbitt

We plan to leave mid Sept, pulling our Landmark 365 Oshkosh with a Ram 3500 dually. Any advise on a route out west in the mountains that I should avoid? We want to enjoy the trip but not have my shoulders in knots and white knuckles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianlajoie

Your itinerary shows Yellowstone -> Co Spgs -> Santa Fe. I would come down I-25 unless you want to see the western part of Colorado.

I don't know when you will be in Colorado, but watch the weather reports. Early fall can see snow. I've seen snow in Denver as early as the first week of September. Be careful of Denver traffic. Don't keep up with the cars, let every one pass you and leave plenty of room in front of you, you will be ok. I will be crossing Vail and Eisenhower pass the first week of October, so I will be watching the weather closely.

dave10a

Staying on the Interstates hwys is the best way to travel in the mountains. I have traveled all of the major roads in the west and I have never had any problems pulling my trailer. My advise would be to make certain your wheel bearings are well maintained to minimize any breakdowns.

Oldelevatorman

We are heading that way as well with our Landmark Newport. We'll be in West Yellowstone on September 6, meeting friends from California. We're currently in Rochester, Mass. Working our way to Maine and then to the Baseball HOF, R&R HOF and the PFHOF. We travel the Interstates as well and take our time. Safe travels and maybe we'll see you on the road!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Yes . . . once you are out here in the mountains stay on the main roads and you'll be alright.

ProwlerMonarchPass-P1010480.jpg

alexb2000

Yesterday I just came from Jackson Hole to Taos via Cheyenne, Colorado Springs, and Fort Garland.

I just started another thread about this, but I-25 South from the boarder to Colorado Springs is a really rough road right now with all the construction. Maybe that will be winding down as usual by fall, but right now it is a pain (literally).

The other thing I-25 is nothing but city, so nothing to see and heavy traffic.

Weather permitting I would see Western CO those views are what we have RVs for.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
As long as you time your drive to avoid the rush hour traffic on I-25 through Denver and Colorado Springs it should be smooth sailing through Colorado.

rnewk52

I am looking at Buffalo WY to Cody on 16 and 20. Anyone gone this route with a 40' 5th wheel?

We just did that trip about 3 weeks ago. Beautiful scenery and good roads. Just take your time on the western slope and you will be fine.
The exhaust brake gets good work out, but that is what it is supposed to do. Enjoy your trip. We sure did.

WyoCyclone

I am looking at Buffalo WY to Cody on 16 and 20. Anyone gone this route with a 40' 5th wheel?

We live in Buffalo, WY. Awesome little town with a couple of great RV parks and a great stop over town with a great little downtown with lots of history. If you're headed to Cody from here there is a pretty large pass to navigate but very good road. Several 8 degree sections but if you gear down and travel slow there will be no issues. Big rigs travel it all the time. There are some great National Forrest campgrounds right off the route that make for some easy camping. Pm me if you have any more questions.

Last edited:

Hogladyrider

A bit off topic, but just in case you aren't aware, Sept the temperatures will be cooling off!

We are workamping this summer in Custer, SD, we arrived here from Florida on April 22nd and will be here until first part of October.

We had snow 3 times between end of April and May and freezing temps as well.

We are now at the end of July and we have wonderfully cool nights down into the low 60's upper 50's so by Sept. it will definitely be cooler.

As long as you are prepared with clothing and propane to take the chill off in the morning!

Safe travels.......it is a beautiful country we live in!

Susan & Gary

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
A bit off topic, but just in case you aren't aware, Sept the temperatures will be cooling off!

As long as you are prepared with clothing and propane to take the chill off in the morning!

Safe travels.......it is a beautiful country we live in!

Susan & Gary

For sure! We were in Jackson Hole pre-BH days right after Labor Day a few years ago and awoke to frost on the SUV...''tis the season