Newbie looking to full time in a CY4114

Ring_King

Hello everyone. New to the forum and I'm enjoying all the reading and research here on the site. I see plenty of talk about the 4200 but there doesn't seem to be much mention of the CY4114. Is this just not a popular model?

I should start with some info about myself and my situation. I'm an active duty Coast Guardsman currently stationed in Northern California. My wife and I have decided that we "don't work", much to my dismay, and are calling it quits. She is taking our two boys back to Alaska to live near her family. I'm looking at purchasing a CY4114 and a 2015 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 6.7L diesel DRW to pull it with. This will be my full time residence for the next 8 years or so.

I'm not completely new to RV living although this will be the first one that I own personally. I lived in a 28ft E450 based Drive America RV with 5 other Coasties for six months back after Hurricane Katrina destroyed New Orleans. We stayed at the KOA in Scott Louisiana outside of Lafayette and that was our base of operations as we rebuilt all the Coast Guard units in the lower portion of the state. Once that stay was over I moved into a 30ft FEMA trailer with no slides in Slidell, Louisiana where I lived with my girlfriend for a year.

Living in the small space wasn't an issue for me but the features and luxuries in the Cyclone line up will be quite the upgrade!

Right now I'm looking at getting the following options:
Dual pane windows
Canadian Arctic package
3rd AC unit
Full body paint
Central vacuum
Rear patio kit with awning
3 season wall
6 point leveling system
Goodyear G rated tire
4 door residential fridge
Ill be adding a washer and dryer as well

Also researching slide toppers. I know the opinions are split on this one. I like the added safety against water intrusion in case of a seal issue on the slides, and the reduced noise of rain, acorns, etc hitting the top of the slides especially since the bed is in a slide on the 4114.

Any other options that might make my "residence" more comfortable for long term living?

i chose this model due to the 14ft garage length. I'm an avid (obsessive) kayak fisherman and duck hunter. My fishing kayaks and hunting yaks are all 13'8". Having a garage big enough to store them in securely is a necessity! Especially for weekend trips to various places to pursue my fishing, hunting, and wildlife photography adventures! I wish I could make due with a 12' garage since that would open up many other options and then I'd likely be looking at the 4200.

i would love to here some opinions on the CY4114 and also on any options I might be overlooking that could be considered "must haves" by full timers.

Thanks for taking the time to read and hopefully provide some insite for me!

jimtoo

Hi Ring King,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

I am sure you will get some opinions soon from some of our other members.

Enjoy the forum and Thanks for your service.

Jim M

iowaone

Be sure you check your measurements and how the kayaks will fit. The three season option is wonderful I wouldn't be without it but you do lose a few inches of length inside with it. I think about six.

Ring_King

I'm definitely planning on checking the fit before purchase! If it doesn't fit in the 14' garage I might also try it in the 12' garage by leaving the door from living area to garage open and simply put the bow through the doorway. I'd doesn't sound like optimal situation but if that will cover me for traveling then I might figure out something else for when the trailer is parked. Right now I keep the longest one on a small jet ski trailer with a tarp over it and a cable lock securing it to the trailer. It has worked so far.