Newbie Question About Thermostats

alsams

Hello everyone,
I am new to Heartland and new to this forum. We just bought a 2018 Cyclone 4270. This unit has 3 A/Cs; front bedroom, mid, and garage. Each has it's own thermostat. When we went through the walk-through with the technician, he stated that the furnace was run by the mid thermostat which is at the top of the stairs into the bedroom. I have not been able to get the furnace to turn on at all. It does nothing. While checking out YouTube I found a Cycle 4200 (I think) with the same problem. When he tried to bedroom thermostat, it ran the furnace. So I tried the same thing a behold, the bedroom thermostat runs the furnace. I find it odd that the furnace is run by the thermostat which is very far forward in the coach. My question to you fine folks is this normal? Which thermostat runs your furnace?

Thanks,
Al Samson

danemayer

Hi alsams,

Yes, only one of the thermostats is connected to the furnace, and recently that's been the bedroom thermostat. Find a setting that works for you, recognizing that the heat is never evenly distributed through the trailer. The further back you get, the lower the temp of the air coming through the ducts.

jmarnell

Yes, on our Cyclone 4005 the furnace is controlled by the bedroom thermostat. I just recently replaced the floor registers in the bedroom and bathroom with metal ones that have adjustable baffles. We hope to slightly reduce the airflow up front to force more of the warm air to the main living area. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
Alsams,
Welcome to the forum and to the Heartland family!
Yes, furnace control from the bedroom thermostat seems to be the norm from Heartland at present. One plus I can see is the short walk at night if you find you need to adjust it!
Something to keep in mind is the heat strip in the AC unit in the garage. It provides a surprising amount of warmth for its size (1500 watts) and selecting the duct to distribute it provides movement of the warmer air near the ceiling throughout the coach. We've found that the fireplace and heatstrip provide enough warmth until the temps get to the low 40s.
Happy Camping!

BAT

When i took delivery of my RW355, this little detail slipped by me and on my way back home to Alaska i made this discovery. My trip was in the month of Nov and when I woke up a couple of morning into my trip, the outside temp was -9. I closed the outside bathroom door and the bedroom and left the bathroom door open between the bathroom and the bedroom and it was easy to keep warm without having to maintain the same temp throughout the trailer.

Bottom line, I love having the thermostat in the bedroom tied to the furnace

alsams

Yes, on our Cyclone 4005 the furnace is controlled by the bedroom thermostat. I just recently replaced the floor registers in the bedroom and bathroom with metal ones that have adjustable baffles. We hope to slightly reduce the airflow up front to force more of the warm air to the main living area. Haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

jmarnell,
Your idea of replacing the front floor registers with ones with controls is a great idea. Thanks for sharing!

Al

alsams

Alsams,
Welcome to the forum and to the Heartland family!
Yes, furnace control from the bedroom thermostat seems to be the norm from Heartland at present. One plus I can see is the short walk at night if you find you need to adjust it!
Something to keep in mind is the heat strip in the AC unit in the garage. It provides a surprising amount of warmth for its size (1500 watts) and selecting the duct to distribute it provides movement of the warmer air near the ceiling throughout the coach. We've found that the fireplace and heatstrip provide enough warmth until the temps get to the low 40s.
Happy Camping!

NWILSON,
Thanks for the feedback. I haven't even tried the heat strip in the garage AC unit. That's a great idea. The 4270 doesn't have a furnace or at least ours doesn't so our heat will have to come from the furnace.

Al

alsams

When i took delivery of my RW355, this little detail slipped by me and on my way back home to Alaska i made this discovery. My trip was in the month of Nov and when I woke up a couple of morning into my trip, the outside temp was -9. I closed the outside bathroom door and the bedroom and left the bathroom door open between the bathroom and the bedroom and it was easy to keep warm without having to maintain the same temp throughout the trailer.

Bottom line, I love having the thermostat in the bedroom tied to the furnace

BAT,
I've been trying to figure out the logic of using the bedroom thermostat for the furnace instead of the more centrally located one. I think you have the answer. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing.

Al