Newbie Question on NT 21FBS TT

'Lil Guy'

Just brought my new NT 21FBS trailer home and let it sit for a week. Wanted to organize it prior to putting it in storage. Before plugging it in to shore power (110), I turned on the lights and nothing happened. I plugged it in and everything seemed to work. The wife said the bathroom light came on when I plugged it in. Thant could have been left on from the dealer. Anyway, The front electric jack worked. I don't know how to switch from 110 to battery. Is there a a switch I need to throw? If anyone has this model, please chime in and give me a lesson here. I'm feeling a little stupid. Does it automatically switch to battery mode if I unplug the power cord? Trailer came with one 12V battery, not 2 like everyone seems to have. Thanks in advance.

danemayer

Hi baker,

I'm not familiar with the NT 21FBS, but most of our trailers have a 12V buss bar with 12V automotive style circuit breakers. The one that connects the battery to the interior fuse box is usually a manual reset, so if it trips, the interior 12V lights stop working unless you're plugged into 110V AC. The buss bar is usually close to the battery. Our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostics Guide has pictures along with a detailed explanation and a flowchart to help figure things out. Here's a link.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If the dealer left the bathroom light on you most certainly had a dead battery.
Hopefully another NT owner will have some helpful hint.
Peace
Dave

evolvingpowercat

Lead acid batteries should never be discharged to less than 20% of their capacity (typically about 100 amp hours for 12 volt basic RV batteries) to maximize their useful life and capacity. Its even better if you can keep the discharge to no less than 50% of their capacity. Totally dead battery reduced its capacity and useful life slightly. Not that much I would just go with it and remember to avoid totally discharging the battery in the future. You need to put your TT on shore power for at least 12 hours better yet a full day to get the battery fully recharged.

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the info. I decided to look at my manual for the first time. I saw the diagram you're talking about. That's probably the problem. My front electric jack worked fine to hitch and unhitch the TT. There is an inline fuse to it also with a reset button. hanks for the reply.
Hi baker,

I'm not familiar with the NT 21FBS, but most of our trailers have a 12V buss bar with 12V automotive style circuit breakers. The one that connects the battery to the interior fuse box is usually a manual reset, so if it trips, the interior 12V lights stop working unless you're plugged into 110V AC. The buss bar is usually close to the battery. Our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostics Guide has pictures along with a detailed explanation and a flowchart to help figure things out. Here's a link.

mbopp

For a crash course on 12V power: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

There's no switch to go from shore power to battery. I strongly recommend disconnecting the battery when not in use, there are "parasitic" draws from the propane detector and radio that will kill the battery if left connected in storage. Disconnecting the negative lead is safest.

Trailers come standard with one battery, usually a Group 24 size. I fabricated another tray and have two G29 batteries since we dry camp a lot. Many people go with two or even four 6V golf cart batteries for extended camping w/o hookups.

So far we like our 21FBS. It's short enough to get into some of our favorite undeveloped campsites yet big enough for my wife & I.

'Lil Guy'

Thanks for the reply. I'll check out the site. I really like the 21 FBS myself but I'm still not used to backing up when I can't see over the top. My boat and pop up camper didn't give me a problem. I seem to always have a blind side and the wife and I don't communicate well yet.lol First brought it home and backed it in the driveway and right into the gutter on our garage. She said I didn't tell her to look up. I guess she didn't want the bumper to hit the garage door even thought the trailer is a good foot taller than the eave and sticks out about 2 feet. Thanks again for the post. Going to take her out on Easter weekend for the first time.

priorguy

Many on here use two way radios but even better is hands free cell phones. I found switching to a tandem axel easier to control than a single axel pop up or boat trailer. I find you can see the tail quicker and better on a longer trailer. Went from a 24' to a 28'. You'll get the hang of it soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'Lil Guy'

I hope so. Hate to have everyone moving their rigs when I pull in...lol The cell phone in her hand and mine on BT in the truck could be the answer. Thanks for the reply.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We use the iPhone hands free headphones when backing into our driveway--DH backing, I'm telling him when he's about to hit the mailbox or transformer or curb or house or fence or.... (We don't get to store it at home, so it's not home much except for loading and projects.) What used to take us hours, last week took 3 minutes. It gets easier with time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d_fergie

I have the 22FBS & added an extra battery, there was enough room to slide the factory setup over to mount... I've only taken my rig far away from civilization but have needed a spotter a time or 2, we used hand held radios.