Newbie Trying to Make Sense of "Grades"...

johnmichael

I'm posting this here because I'm planning my first x-country route, and I am really wishing that I had paid more attention to the "Grade" signs all those years of driving without a trailer, because now that I'll be pulling one - I'm having a hard time picturing what a "6% grade" is like.

I bought the mountain west directory, and the information is fantastic, and will mean a lot more after I go up and come down a few grades I'm sure - but can anyone give me some point of reference or feeling for ascents or descents I should consider avoiding?

I'm using a 5.3L 8 cycl 2010 Suburban to pull a small MPG183, so its hard to imagine I'd have too many problems - but I don't want to get over confident. Years ago I had a little Winnie Rialta and can remember just barely squeaking my way to the peak of a few passes...

Thanks!

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
The percent grade is the change over 100 ft. a 6% grade means the elevation rises (or drops) 6 feet for every 100 feet travelled.

Last edited:

danemayer

Make sure your transmission is in good shape. You'll want to use the lower gears going down to avoid overheating the brakes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

scottyb

I'm posting this here because I'm planning my first x-country route, and I am really wishing that I had paid more attention to the "Grade" signs all those years of driving without a trailer, because now that I'll be pulling one - I'm having a hard time picturing what a "6% grade" is like.

I bought the mountain west directory, and the information is fantastic, and will mean a lot more after I go up and come down a few grades I'm sure - but can anyone give me some point of reference or feeling for ascents or descents I should consider avoiding?

I'm using a 5.3L 8 cycl 2010 Suburban to pull a small MPG183, so its hard to imagine I'd have too many problems - but I don't want to get over confident. Years ago I had a little Winnie Rialta and can remember just barely squeaking my way to the peak of a few passes...

Thanks!

6 -7% grades are pretty normal Interstate Highway mountain passes, like Wolfcreek, Loveland, Vail, Syskiyou, and the Grapevine. They all look and feel different (scarier) when towing than driving bobtail. Take your time and use your gears both up and down.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Use the T/H mode and dont be scared at the RPM's when climbing and going down hill. A Suburban is heavy vehicle (6K)...so take your time up and down the hills. You will be fine.

berky

Most of the interstates I have driven on the east coast have grades of no more than 4%. On other major roads you might see 6%, which is still no major ordeal going uphill or downhill.

I've hit a few grades on state roads in the 8% range. Now you have to really pay attention going downhill .... no higher than 2nd gear and maybe 30 MPH.

For me 10% and above is no man's land.

pegmikef

There is a seven percent grade between Junction and San Antonio that I pulled and drove down two or three times with my F150 4.6 3V engine and had not problems at all. . . now with the F250 I don't even know it is there.