Newest GM versus Ford shootout 04/01/11

GOTTOYS

Who really cares? You're going to buy the one you like...any of them have more pulling power than you you really need, even my lowly Dodge..er..Ram...Don

wonka

You might want to check on that, 16 billion in 2008,
Ford Motor Co. earned a great deal of consumer respect when it returned to health without the need for a federal bailout accepted by General Motors and Chrysler.
But did Ford actually take "secret government money" to help it stay afloat?
That's the controversial contention made this week by former Detroit Free Press auto reporter Justin Hyde, now writing for Jalopnik.
As Hyde points out, the federal government on Wednesday revealed the indentity of companies it aided during the financial crisis through the Federal Reserve's Commercial Paper Funding Facility.
Set up in 2008, the CPFF helped companies obtain high-interest, short-term loans -- known as commerical paper -- during the height of the international credit crunch. Some outlets, such as Fox Business, have referred to the program as the "commercial paper bailout."
Hyde correctly points out that Ford's credit arm registered to sell the federal government around $16 billion in commercial paper. Like the financing wing of most automakers -- Toyota, BMW, GMAC and Chrysler also participated -- Ford found itself in need of liquidity when the lending markets dried up.
But what Hyde (and more glaringly, his headline) incorrectly suggests is that Ford's borrowing was a secret. Spokeswoman Brenda Hines told Bloomberg back in October of 2008 that Ford Credit had applied for the program.
Fellow Ford spokeswoman Christin Baker this week pointed out that Ford reported its participation in the CPFF in its public SEC filings. She also said Ford participated in the Federal Reserve's Term Asset-Backed Security Loan Facility, noting that "these two programs addressed systematic failure in the credit markets, and that neither program was designed for a particular company, or even a particular industry.
"Ford was a fractional participant in both of these credit programs, and the federal government made healthy returns on all of these limited transactions."
Bottom line? Yes, Ford's credit arm participated in a federal program meant to free up short-term lending at a time when very few investors were spending. It's no secret.
http://www.mlive.com/auto/index.ssf/2010/12/did_ford_take_secret_governmen.html

6.7powerstroke

Wow, talk about a stretch. That is such a ridiculous comparison, I am not even going to bother arguing. It just makes me shake my head.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Before this thread gets closed I'd really like to know how you guys like the new Ford and Dodge set ups. Even the 07 and up Dodge. I'm in the market for a DWR automatic but I have concerns and every time I find a discussion the thread is closed.

6.7powerstroke

I looked at all three pretty hard and these were my observations. Take them for what they are worth, which isn't much more than free. I think that Dodge probably has the best value on the market. It is a good 10K cheaper than the Ford and GM. The 6.7 Cummins is a very good powertrain, but not as bullet proof as the 5.9, even though they share many of the same parts. Dodge has come miles on their interior on the new body style, which I think was either 09 or 10, not sure. The old interiors are super cheap looking, IMHO. The GM was never a serious consideration. I think the fit and finish is far below the Dodge or the Ford and I would NEVER buy an HD truck with IFS.

I absolutely love this new Ford. It is amazingly quiet and super plush. I have had zero issues and the word on the street is that there have been no real issues with these trucks out of the shoot. I believe Ford has sold around 250K of these trucks already. The fit and finish is outstanding and the SYNC is a must have. I have 19K on mine and have put about 5K of these on towing my 5th wheel all over the place, including high altitude in Colorado. Pulls like a locomotive. All of the new HD trucks have more power than anyone ever needs. All of them will probably due you just fine, provided you do the maintenance on them. These newer DPF equipped trucks are far more complicated than the old 5.9 Cummins or 7.3 Powerstroke that ran for a million miles. They are much quieter though, less stinky and just a much better built truck to drive. Go drive all of them and see which one puts the biggest smile on your face!

wonka

Wow, talk about a stretch. That is such a ridiculous comparison, I am not even going to bother arguing. It just makes me shake my head.
What's ridiculous? the fact that ford took a paper backed loan. Kinda funny how it gets missed because they didn't parade in front of congress. A third of the money, but timing is everything isn't it, it was an amazing development for them with uncanny timing to take advantage of the economic crash. I bet you even buy the F series is the best selling truck

ihsolutions

I feel like I'm riding in the car with my kids arguing about nothing important whatsoever. What is brand loyalty, anyways? Really a silly notion if you think about it. Do you think a brand is going to help you out when things get rough??

I've owned vehicles made from just about every major manufacturer, domestic and foreign. Some good, some bad. But at any given time I'll always choose the vehicle that offers the best value proposition, suited to my purposes. If everybody thought this way we'd keep the manufacturers honest, forcing them to do their best to produce a great product or else we buy something else.

We're all here to talk about RV's. What we pull them with is just a means to an end, right?

caissiel

I have bought cars and trucks on the operating cost of ownership for the last 42 years and have been very satisfied with what I do buy. I met owners of vehicles that buy one on popularity of the vehicles and look for the next one right away.
That is so true if we would have more people that would not be loyal to a product, the quality would surely be much better. All vehicles are good for their purpose and to me it depends on the services. For me I service them myself and love not to be in the warranty range when I buy.

My son just bought a 2007 Ram Diesel last summer, he had nothing but troubles with his truck and went to the dealer for the regen system, had the front end all redone, and now yesterday I find out he went and traded it on a new 2011. They must be giving those away because I cannot see why he would just not keep his repaired Ram and live with the same problemn that the 2011 will give him anyway.

Hello all

I figured I had to get in on this discussion. Since I have been driving, I have owned trucks made by Ford, GM and Chrysler. Some had issues, some didn’t. What it comes down too, is that they will all need work at some point in time. Having a dealership that you trust in the long run will be provide you with a piece of mind. You will notice that I own a GMC, but I was going to purchase a Ford. The Ford dealership in my area couldn’t spell “service” with alone provide it. So, I purchased the GMC. Well, I had trouble with this truck and a good thing I purchased the extended warranty. I went back to the dealership and told them that I had trouble with the steering and it felt loose. They kept telling me I was wrong. It was time to give GM Canada an e-mail. I got a call at my home at 8:00 pm the next night. It took some time but GM Canada made them fix it. I would like to know that if I was wrong, why they billed the warranty provider $1,850.00 to fix my truck. Yes, it is fixed. They will all break, they will all cost money to maintain and with what we enjoy to do, we need one of them. So, find a dealer who can trust and purchase from them.

Pat & Leona Skanes
Member Number: 1833
Region: Canada
Chapter: Ontario

2011 Landmark
Grand Canyon
2006 GMC Sierra 2500 HD, Duramax with Allison Trans., 4X4,

jimtoo

OK,,,We gonna talk about politics or,,,, we gonna talk about trucks and their performance, LESS the politics???? Politics get the thread closed.....OK?

porthole

Retired
I'd really like to know how you guys like the new Ford and Dodge set ups. Even the 07 and up Dodge. I'm in the market for a DWR automatic

For the current F-350 or the previous GMC2500 Dodge was never a consideration. Not that I think any less of them just that I worked on them for 18 years, bought all Chrysler products, lived through the Chrysler bailout that Lee Iaccoca successfully negotiated (and paid off 10 years early).

So the last time - just liked the GMC better, Was way quieter then the Ford (2006) and was about 3" lower overall which was important for the passengers.

Few minor problems.

When we decided on a DRW Dodge was again a distant 3rd place, this time due mostly to capacities.

The 2011 GM was barely trickling into the dealers and the F350's were running strong.

I like a lot of the bells and whistles on the Ford over the GM. I don't like that it is even longer then the GM.

Bang for the buck (and a big buck it is) the Ford gets my vote.

BTW, haven't tried it with the Cyclone yet, but with my motorcycle trailer the new brake controller is awesome.

porthole

Retired
I started this thread because of the latest round of videos.

We need to take it for what it is worth - entertainment.

I'm a career firefighter, I think Backdraft and Ladder 49 are great movies - there not real but they are entertaining.

BTW all you Dodge lovers and your nah nah nah nah nah you Ford and GM guys have have DEF tanks ;)

It's just around the corner - at a recent visit to a truck dealer by my partner there were 4500 & 5500's with DEF tanks, Won't be long before it hits the 2500-3500 line.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I feel all 3 manufacturers make a great truck and it's all about what you like about the truck. What I like is not having payments. I guess I'll be hanging on to BART as long as we own a 5th wheel or I win the Lotto. If I win the Lotto I'll buy one of each so I don't get bored.:rolleyes::p

mountain1

I have a 2010 F450 and love it. Was leary of the new one with the Ford diesel but have heard good things from some people that have purchased that engine. My truck pulls the Razor really well and I have close to 30K and no issues. Mileage is not the greatest but to be honest I only go from a little over 11 down to 9 when I pull the 5th wheel.