New Ford vs GM test - shootout

ihsolutions

I like my trusty old 2004 1st Edition Duramax. She's got all the power I need, she's paid for and she's comfortable.

Amen! My 2003 is nearly perfect as far as I'm concerned as well. I only wish I had bought the CC instead of the extended cab, but then, it wouldn't have fit in my garage and it wouldn't look like a brand new truck 8 years later. Friends find it ridiculous that I have a brand new big horn being pulled by an 8 year old truck. But then mine's been paid off for 5 years now there's no way I'm ever making payments on a vehicle (or RV) again.

Jellystone

I've got to get in on this discussion!!!!! I've mentioned it many times before on similar "discussions" on the topic of tow vehicles. Bottom line: All of the Big Three make terrific trucks, cars, and SUV's. Most of us buy products due to personal preferance, pricing, and quality. Argue all you want to, but BUY AMERICAN products whenever possible. Even if these vehicles are not "assembled" in the good ole' U.S.A., at least we are keeping our money in North America.

How many of you "argue" over Dodge/Ford/Chevy in reference to tow vehicles, but have a foreign car parked in the driveway for a daily driver or 2nd vehicle? How many of you have foreign made 4 wheelers,motorcycles, or outboard motors sitting in the yard? C'mon folks, get your head out of the sand and Keep America Working. Why not argue over how many vehicles are imported vs how many we export to other countries. Why not argue over American factories closing down due to lack of sales vs foreign factories expanding due to American dollars being pumped in daily?

Just a reality check for the "mine is better than yours" crowd.

porthole

Retired
I'm glad I don't have to make a choice. I like my trusty old 2004 1st Edition Duramax. She's got all the power I need, she's paid for and she's comfortable. More rear leg room than any other crew cab including the new GM's and the rear saets fold to a flat floor. Nuff said...

I will miss the flat floor with the seats down, but not as much as the pups will!

I have a custom cushion that fits real nice in the back of the GM with the seats folded down. Fills the whole area with 2" of high density foam for the girls.
Not sure what I am going to do yet with two restless Golden Retrievers.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
I've got to get in on this discussion!!!!! I've mentioned it many times before on similar "discussions" on the topic of tow vehicles. Bottom line: All of the Big Three make terrific trucks, cars, and SUV's. Most of us buy products due to personal preferance, pricing, and quality. Argue all you want to, but BUY AMERICAN products whenever possible. Even if these vehicles are not "assembled" in the good ole' U.S.A., at least we are keeping our money in North America.

How many of you "argue" over Dodge/Ford/Chevy in reference to tow vehicles, but have a foreign car parked in the driveway for a daily driver or 2nd vehicle? How many of you have foreign made 4 wheelers,motorcycles, or outboard motors sitting in the yard? C'mon folks, get your head out of the sand and Keep America Working. Why not argue over how many vehicles are imported vs how many we export to other countries. Why not argue over American factories closing down due to lack of sales vs foreign factories expanding due to American dollars being pumped in daily?

Just a reality check for the "mine is better than yours" crowd.

I couldn't agree more. What American workers have to understand (AND the management of the companies) is "perceived" quality. WE got ourselves into this in the first place through engineered obsolescence. The foriegn car makers make a car/truck to last virtually as long as possible whereas we made them to replace every _____ (Insert estimate here) years!

As a typical American worker if I spend my hard-earned money and spend a few more dollars so I can keep a car for ten years or more versus five, it is a no-brainer. That is why I originally switched! I buy American wherever I can, we are all in this together!

Buford445

This Debate can go on for Ever and NO One ever win, I have owned Dodge sense I bought mine in 1979 so I have stayed through the Bad Times and the Good.
All I can say is.....As Long as you buy a Dodge (Had to be First LOL) Ford or GM it's ALL GOOD. They all have there Good Points and BAD

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Only the big 3 automakers have a 1 ton pickup capable of pulling the large 5ers. Ever see a Mazda, Toyota or Suzuki pickup pulling a Landmark? I think not. Maybe the American auto manufacturers know what we want after all.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
If any of you Ford or Chevy guys ever get stuck and I'm in the area, feel free to call me. I'll pull you out with my Cummins. :)

jcarnevale

This test was great for the industry and for us as consumers. In the Cummin (pun intended) years I think we"ll see even more impressive numbers as the competition heats up. This IS what stimulates the American industrial spirit, good healthy competition! With Ford's new motor and GM's government handout, I can't wait to see what Cummins has in store......!

JC

Riverman

The company I am currently employed with recently sent us out 2011 Duramax units. They have the all new DEF or Urea injection system. Someone at GM definately dropped the ball on this design! These units can not be left idling for any period of time, or the computer "derates" and limits the unit to 35 km/h. The option to idling in our climate, is to plug the units block heater in...this also does not solve any problems as the DEF freezes at -12C...computer senses tank is frozen and also "derates". Both of ours are currently awaiting a solution at the GM dealer. Seems these new Chevys can no longer leave the far south unless they start shipping them complete with portable heated garages!