Open Discussion on GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

wehavefun

VERY WELL SAID !
Not only do I have enough truck, but lets think about the camper, never used to have 38' - 43' fifth wheels. All you need is a tent or a 22' bumper pull.

If you want a big fifth, buy a big truck.

You can get away with a 3/4 ton truck, people do it everyday, but the day the wind is blowing like crazy, you have packed way more than you need you will be glad your DRW is smooth and steady and not in the ditch!

scottyb

I pulled my 4100 with a SRW 3500 when I 1st got it. It pulled it great, even did some mountains in N. AZ. Coming back from AZ, I encountered some 30 - 40 mph winds bewtween El Paso and Van Horn. It was a 55 mph white-knuckle ride to our reserved stop in Van Horn. I knew then that I would have a DRW by the next season. I encountered almost the exact scenario this year at the same location. Made it to the KOA in Van Horn, no problem. I didn't realize how hard it was blowing until I got out to hook up utilities.

DW_Gray

Okay guys. Get back on track. What your truck could or couldn't do isn't related to the OP.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

dave10a

Here we go again--- my dually is better than your SRW :) I am beginning to think this is becoming over rationalized to justify what some one drives rather than anything else. As DW says it is a guy thing-- maybe she is right.

scottyb

Here we go again--- my dually is better than your SRW :) I am beginning to think this is becoming over rationalized to justify what some one drives rather than anything else. As DW says it is a guy thing-- maybe she is right.

Maybe it is a guy thing, but i just gave my opinion about towing the same big rig with two different types of trucks and similar conditions. Take it for what it's worth and TYOT (Tow your own tow). :cool:

Westwind

I just finished reading this thread and no where did we mention payload numbers and exceeding payload. I'm considering upgrading to a 1 ton because I know my 2300 empty tongue weight, plus our stuff, us, hitch, fuel, and trailer stuff exceeds the payload of our 3/4 ton. The truck can pull the 14,000 lbs no problem, the trailer brakes and truck brakes don't seem to have a problem stopping, but I know we are over weight. I read that GM for 2015 is going to use the J2807 Truck Towing Standard and I think 1 or 2 others have said they are finally getting on the band wagon. No one mentioned that either. What say you?

wildwolfproducts

I just finished reading this thread and no where did we mention payload numbers and exceeding payload. I'm considering upgrading to a 1 ton because I know my 2300 empty tongue weight, plus our stuff, us, hitch, fuel, and trailer stuff exceeds the payload of our 3/4 ton. The truck can pull the 14,000 lbs no problem, the trailer brakes and truck brakes don't seem to have a problem stopping, but I know we are over weight. I read that GM for 2015 is going to use the J2807 Truck Towing Standard and I think 1 or 2 others have said they are finally getting on the band wagon. No one mentioned that either. What say you?

All new 250,2500 3/4 ton trucks 2014 are rated for your camper and have room left. So the choice is up to you, do you need training wheels? Or would rather have single wheels and tires rated for more then you need. Look at a Semi with Super singles. Think they would allow those on the roads of those tires and wheels would not handle the wight?
Again glad we all have choices and not stuck with only a Nissan Titan to tow our 5th wheels with . Seen that last week, a Key Largo behind one. Man now that was funny. He was having issues holding it in the road.
Pete

MTPockets

All new 250,2500 3/4 ton trucks 2014 are rated for your camper and have room left. So the choice is up to you, do you need training wheels? Or would rather have single wheels and tires rated for more then you need. Look at a Semi with Super singles. Think they would allow those on the roads of those tires and wheels would not handle the wight?
Again glad we all have choices and not stuck with only a Nissan Titan to tow our 5th wheels with . Seen that last week, a Key Largo behind one. Man now that was funny. He was having issues holding it in the road.
Pete
F250 Ford maximum payload is 3640 lbs for 4x2, about 400 lbs less for 4x4. If you're under that, great; you won't know unless you weigh it loaded. My money would be that after all is loaded you'll be closer than you think.

emm4273610re

I knew someone that weighed all their stuff from their old unit. Everything only weighed 467 pounds. Capacity of the new unit is over 1200. I do believe in the GCWR of a truck and being under that. It will only take a few to think otherwise and get hurt or hurt someone else before laws start being enforced, CDL is most likely needed for most if you really look at the numbers, but not enforced. I think Calif. now has such laws. Most new trucks GVWR is 14,000 plus my Bighorn 3610RE GVWR of 16,000 equals a GCWR of 30,000. Too many look at the empty weight of the camper. Luckily new trucks don't show the GCWR in the door like they should. There may come a day it might matter, but only after people get hurt exceeding their truck. We need to be leaders for the hobby. Someone looking in who knows nothing will be the first to complain and ruin it for all. Just my 2 cents

Speedy

The engine and transmission capabilities do not change regardless of the gear ratio. Manufacturers do not modify the engine or transmission when using different gear ratios.

No one has mentioned the fact that manufacturers map engine management systems differently based on model and options.

wildwolfproducts

I knew someone that weighed all their stuff from their old unit. Everything only weighed 467 pounds. Capacity of the new unit is over 1200. I do believe in the GCWR of a truck and being under that. It will only take a few to think otherwise and get hurt or hurt someone else before laws start being enforced, CDL is most likely needed for most if you really look at the numbers, but not enforced. I think Calif. now has such laws. Most new trucks GVWR is 14,000 plus my Bighorn 3610RE GVWR of 16,000 equals a GCWR of 30,000. Too many look at the empty weight of the camper. Luckily new trucks don't show the GCWR in the door like they should. There may come a day it might matter, but only after people get hurt exceeding their truck. We need to be leaders for the hobby. Someone looking in who knows nothing will be the first to complain and ruin it for all. Just my 2 cents

CDL ===== Commercial. Not sure about you, but I know I'm not commercial. So no reason for A CDL, even tough I had one for years. And betting most RV's can't get a CDL. As you have to pass a Health test and its not easy like it used to be. Any state that makes you get a Commercial CDL to tow your private RV= not good.
Now I will say everyone of us needs to pass a test to be able to drive anything bigger then our family auto. Way to many people that has never driven anything bigger then there 4 door car or a pickup. Go jump in a 40 ft Diesel pusher or hook up to a RV and head off into the sunset. Would love to see all of us have to get a Health card to tow with also. Even if it might leave me out also.

wildwolfproducts

F250 Ford maximum payload is 3640 lbs for 4x2, about 400 lbs less for 4x4. If you're under that, great; you won't know unless you weigh it loaded. My money would be that after all is loaded you'll be closer than you think.

Yes Sir I know what mine weights, and went today to look at a new Truck. And it was a single wheel Ram and would be more than our Heartland Landmark Key Largo is. Sad part is 2 of there 3500 dual wheel trucks were only rated for 820 lbs more then the 3/4 ton.
Pete

DW_Gray

It appears that some believe that GCWR is some kind of law. No state has any law that states one cannot tow above the GCWR. So far that I heard or read, no state writes tickets for non-commercial vehicles for being overweight, except the few states that require a declaration of payload and or towing weight for the vehicle. Even in those states, they don't care what the GCWR is.

The only required load weights to be listed on the vehicle Certification Label is the GVWR and the GAWRs.

Does no one else have an answer to the final discussion point in the OP?

mattpopp

Trouble Maker
No one has mentioned the fact that manufacturers map engine management systems differently based on model and options.

Ford only maps them differently between Pickups (250 and 350 pickup is the same) and C&C models.
Dodge only maps them differently based on the transmission between the pickups, while C&C have their own map.
GM uses the same map for their pickups, but only offer the Alison trans with the DMax, though earlier in the mid 2000's they did offer a manual trans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

emm4273610re

Mass and other states are getting serious about towing trailers with private vehicles. Many people I know who tow goose neck horse trailers are being stopped and questioned, ticketed, and forced to have someone licensed to move the trailer. The law says you need a CDL if trailer GVWR is 10,001 pounds or more, whether it be a horse trailer, equipment trailer etc. RV's have always been a gray area. It only takes a few who think they can tow beyond their limits and fail to ruin it for everyone.

scottyb

Ford only maps them differently between Pickups (250 and 350 pickup is the same) and C&C models.
Dodge only maps them differently based on the transmission between the pickups, while C&C have their own map.
GM uses the same map for their pickups, but only offer the Alison trans with the DMax, though earlier in the mid 2000's they did offer a manual trans.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 3 HD

This is true and it seems like we get so hung up on weight ratings. Tell me why it's safe to tow 22200 with a 2014 F350 4x4 DRW pickup but only 15600 with a 2014 F350 4x4 DRW C&C? Same engine, same transmission, different calculations. It's all about the numbers and the numbers fit the designers requirements.

DW_Gray

This is true and it seems like we get so hung up on weight ratings. Tell me why it's safe to tow 22200 with a 2014 F350 4x4 DRW pickup but only 15600 with a 2014 F350 4x4 DRW C&C? Same engine, same transmission, different calculations. It's all about the numbers and the numbers fit the designers requirements.

I don't know if it's true, but I was told by a dealer a while back that the lower ratings for C&C trucks is because it is assumed that owners will be installing much heavier cargo boxes/equipment, etc. than the standard pickup box.