Open Discussion on GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating)

porthole

Retired
I don't know if it's true, but I was told by a dealer a while back that the lower ratings for C&C trucks is because it is assumed that owners will be installing much heavier cargo boxes/equipment, etc. than the standard pickup box.

C&C trucks are de-rated because of the unknown equipment that is expected to be considerably heavier then a standard pickup truck bed and the unknown driver (employees opposed to owners)

scottyb

I don't know if it's true, but I was told by a dealer a while back that the lower ratings for C&C trucks is because it is assumed that owners will be installing much heavier cargo boxes/equipment, etc. than the standard pickup box.

I assume you are correct but why would that change the CGWR? Is it any less safe to tow a 18K 5th wheel with a C&C? "De-rated" is the key word here. We seem to have many conversations here about weight ratings, as if they were written in stone. Obviously the manufacturer can "de-rate" or increase the numbers as they see fit, to meet some standard, whether it is due to matching the competition, or meeting an industry standard.

scottyb

I think it's just a means to keep the GVWR and GCWR below 26K, because in many states like Texas, no CDL is required.