Axle Ratio4.103.73
Test Load (trailer + ppl)8,250 lbs8,250 lbs
Ambient Temp F63F66F
Route (mi)43.643.6
Elevation Avg (feet)5,1005,100
14.20 MPG
12.36 MPG

Mburtsvt

The Ram has a 15% better fuel economy. Seems to be a pretty big gap.

Lets apply some real world math to that. With diesel at $2.75 a gallon that a difference of 1.84 , or to put it another way - the ram cost .0.19 a mile vs the fords 0.22. Using 500 gallons of fuel the difference is only $14.41.For that $14.41 difference you get over 50 more horsepower. If Ford reduced the horsepower , ( like they do on the same engine on their commercial product) you would get better gas milage, but less horsepower.

Ford is building tow vehicles for heavier RV’s. Its like they can see the future.

Jim.Allison

Since torque is what we need, 865 in the RAM v 860 in the Ford at 1600 RPM, Ram at the fuel figures below seems to be the best deal. Torque is work potential. You dont need that much torque all the time, but it is there if you do.HP is the speed at which you can apply that force. So if you want to move X weight to X distance @ X speed you can do it faster if you have more HP. So if you want to apply all your work potential to move from point A to point B the fastest then you want HP. But you must be sure that you are using apples and apples and not oranges and apples when doing your calculations. Manufacturers use different ratings to come up with these figures for advertising.

Lets apply some real world math to that. With diesel at $2.75 a gallon that a difference of 1.84 , or to put it another way - the ram cost .0.19 a mile vs the fords 0.22. Using 500 gallons of fuel the difference is only $14.41.For that $14.41 difference you get over 50 more horsepower. If Ford reduced the horsepower , ( like they do on the same engine on their commercial product) you would get better gas milage, but less horsepower.

Ford is building tow vehicles for heavier RV’s. Its like they can see the future.

lwmcguir

What will be truly interesting is when the pair travel the same routes with similar campers and we get a real comparison. Most of the earlier F350's came out with 3.55 as has mine.

porthole

Retired
What will be truly interesting is when the pair travel the same routes with similar campers and we get a real comparison. Most of the earlier F350's came out with 3.55 as has mine.

Except the DRW'S. 2011 and forward all 350's came with 3.73. All 450's came with 4.30

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Yep. I wanted 3.73 but it wasn't offered in the SRW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
Yep. I wanted 3.73 but it wasn't offered in the SRW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"back in the day" you could order your truck with with a variety of ratios from 3.23 up to the mid 4's (don't remember).

When I was a dealer tech, I changed quite a few gear sets for customers that bought trucks that did not have the ratio they desired. And several times I changed a gear set because the front and rear axles had different ratios. They were a blast to drive :rolleyes:

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
When I was a dealer tech, I changed quite a few gear sets for customers that bought trucks that did not have the ratio they desired.

So, if I drop my truck off at "Duane's Garage", you can swap my 3:73s out for 4:10s. What's your hourly rate?

danemayer

Over the next 5 years, if you drive 50,000 miles, it's a difference of $1441.00. I know Ford owners love their trucks. This report just calculates the cost of love. :)

Diesel Cost$2.75
RAMFordCost Diff
MPG14.2012.36
Miles500500
Gallons Used35.240.5
Cost$96.83$111.25$14.41
Annual Miles1000010000
Annual Gallons 704 809
Annual Cost $ 1,936.62 $ 2,224.92$288.30
5 year cost difference$1,441.50

MTPockets

Over the next 5 years, if you drive 50,000 miles, it's a difference of $1441.00. I know Ford owners love their trucks. This report just calculates the cost of love. :)

Diesel Cost$2.75
RAMFordCost Diff
MPG14.2012.36
Miles500500
Gallons Used35.240.5
Cost$96.83$111.25$14.41
Annual Miles1000010000
Annual Gallons 704 809
Annual Cost $ 1,936.62 $ 2,224.92$288.30
5 year cost difference$1,441.50
. But, the five year cost of RAM repairs is so much higher than Ford��... Just poking.. Wonder if thats tracked?

Jim.Allison

Horsepower sells TV, but torque is what defines it.

In 2015, RAM 2500 and 3500 with 6.7 Cummins diesel outperforms the same size Ford in in ALL categories. This is not Ford bashing, it is just a fact. The Ford is a very well built and nicely appointed vehicle with an advanced diesel motor. I would be proud to own a Ford. But If you want the cutting edge in a TV you need to look closely at a RAM 3500 6.7 Cummins. You can put a cherry on top by getting the AISIN transmission so you can have the high output HD Cummins in your corner.

Unless you are going to pull your rig at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, that little bit of HP will never mean a thing.

Bohemian

HP is what moves the truck. End of story. HP accelerates the truck. HP keeps the truck moving. HP is what overcomes air resistance and the resistance of the truck to movement (friction). One wants to use the least HP (fuel or energy per second) to keep the truck moving at a constant speed.

The importance of torque is that much of the power (HP) is available at lower rpm in higher torque engines. Larger motors that breath more air produce larger amounts of torque. Smaller engines produce less torque. All by burning more or lesser amounts of fuel per revolution. To get the same HP as a high torque engine a low torque engine must operate at higher RPM with all the noise, vibration, and engineering problems and expense of operation at higher RPM.

More HP at lower RPMs makes it easier to start moving a trailer. It makes it easier to keep the trailer moving at low engine RPM.

When we quote HP, power, we always mean peak power which is available only at the higher RPM where peak power is produced. Why, because power increases with RPM up to the point where inefficiencies in combustion creep in. Usually we run at a lower RPM and get less than peak power. That also means we use leas fuel than required to produce the available peak power. Peak torque is very important because it occurs at the RPM where the engine is most efficient. Where combustion is closest to ideal and the motor turns most freely/ has the least internal friction. That is where one ideally want's to drive for maximum fuel efficiency and most stabile pull. Using less power is a good thing.

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Yep. Short test. Does make you wonder why they didn't think it necessary to run a longer test.

So, basically, gleaning anything useful from this test considering the distance and missing data would be impossible.