Ram 3500 vs Ford F350 Highway MPG Comparison - TFL Truck Review

DocFather

I was going to post a photo from medical school textbooks concerning some forms of Elephantiasis. It included male groin body parts and a wheelbarrow. I opted not to so I would not lose my posting privileges. *bad visual*

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ha ha guys! I guess I should not be trying to do more than one thing at a time! On edit, it is criticism!

JanAndBill

I think most of what we do here is in fun, not belittling.

When I had my Dodge I thought it was the best, when I had my GM's I thought they were the best, and with my current Ford I think it is the best. And I have no doubt, whatever I buy next will be the best.

Not me, I apparently buy the worst so I have something to complain about :p

AAdams

Well took a trip with out the rig. Drove 360 miles at the speed limit, up to 75 mph and averaged 14.8 mpg ( calculated ) with our truck shown below. I know it gets better at 60 mph, so towing shouldn't be too bad. Guess I will find out next month.

DocFather

Well took a trip with out the rig. Drove 360 miles at the speed limit, up to 75 mph and averaged 14.8 mpg ( calculated ) with our truck shown below. I know it gets better at 60 mph, so towing shouldn't be too bad. Guess I will find out next month.

I will wager 50 on less than 10!! LOL :cool:

1_oldgoat

Just saw this thread and had to put in my 2 cents worth. I currently tow with a 2013 Ram 3500 dually mega cab. The rig before was a 2007 Ram 3500 srw. Big difference in stability with the dually.
The day i picked up my Gateway, i talked to a gentleman who delivers rigs from the factory to dealerships, he was driv8ng a new Ford 1 ton diesel, we were talking mileage and he mentiined he was averageing 4mpg while towing and my heart sank since i thought i was going to loose mileage going from a bumper pull to a fw, at that time my '07 was get5ing a little over 10 with the bumper pull trailer and i picked up 2 mpg with the fw.
It had an Edge tuner, cold air intake and 5 inch dpf back exhaust, i got 18-20 empty and averaged 12 towing, the new Ram gets 16 empty and 10-11 towing but it has 4-10 rear end ratio, i just installed an Edge tuner on it and a cold air intake so it should help, i picked up 3 mpg when i did the same work to the '07 so keeping fingers crossed this does the same. The 2013 for some reason it dosn't seem to make much difference in mileage while towing no matter how fast i roll, it stays between 10 and 11 stock, and anywhere from 55-75mph, not towing it makes a big difference. If the tuner does what it is supposed to do, i may end up doing the exhaust on the 13 as well but i don't care for the added noise with the muffler removed.
Took a quick spin after getting everything done and man what a difference so far, way more power and throttle response is amazing, to bad the factory can't get these to run as well stock, potential is obviously there but the epa has thier hands tied.
I don't know how the new 1 ton gassers do, but after towing with a diesel powered rig i don't think i would ever go.back.to gas. And now diesel is lower cost than regular unleaded, which it should have been all along since it is less to produce than gas. We are trying to get away asap so once we do i'll post results with the tuner and intake installed.

1_oldgoat

20150813_163142.jpg
Did ok, drove close to 100 miles today, town and freeway, went from 16 to almost 18, so close to 2mpg gain, will see how towing does, hopefully the same gain.

IronJ

Just saw this thread and had to put in my 2 cents worth. I currently tow with a 2013 Ram 3500 dually mega cab. The rig before was a 2007 Ram 3500 srw. Big difference in stability with the dually.
The day i picked up my Gateway, i talked to a gentleman who delivers rigs from the factory to dealerships, he was driv8ng a new Ford 1 ton diesel, we were talking mileage and he mentiined he was averageing 4mpg while towing and my heart sank since i thought i was going to loose mileage going from a bumper pull to a fw, at that time my '07 was get5ing a little over 10 with the bumper pull trailer and i picked up 2 mpg with the fw.
It had an Edge tuner, cold air intake and 5 inch dpf back exhaust, i got 18-20 empty and averaged 12 towing, the new Ram gets 16 empty and 10-11 towing but it has 4-10 rear end ratio, i just installed an Edge tuner on it and a cold air intake so it should help, i picked up 3 mpg when i did the same work to the '07 so keeping fingers crossed this does the same. The 2013 for some reason it dosn't seem to make much difference in mileage while towing no matter how fast i roll, it stays between 10 and 11 stock, and anywhere from 55-75mph, not towing it makes a big difference. If the tuner does what it is supposed to do, i may end up doing the exhaust on the 13 as well but i don't care for the added noise with the muffler removed.
Took a quick spin after getting everything done and man what a difference so far, way more power and throttle response is amazing, to bad the factory can't get these to run as well stock, potential is obviously there but the epa has thier hands tied.
I don't know how the new 1 ton gassers do, but after towing with a diesel powered rig i don't think i would ever go.back.to gas. And now diesel is lower cost than regular unleaded, which it should have been all along since it is less to produce than gas. We are trying to get away asap so once we do i'll post results with the tuner and intake installed.
That new ford 1 ton is broken or the driver can't figure mileage! !!...lol.....I can't even imagine a scenario where I would average 4mpg...and my trailer is 18-20k. .heck even my LIFTED f250 with 3.55 and 37" mud tires gets 8-9 towing (way overloaded I know) the toy box??.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

scottyb

This is over 15,781 towed miles only with my former 2013 F350 DRW towing the 4100. We crossed the scales at 30,350. I wish my diesel pusher would get anywhere close to this.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 65

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Good, bad or otherwise, it is what it is----just back from 16 weeks and 18K miles touring the North American continent, Alaska and back. 11.3 mpg overall. This trip's fuel cost was $.27/gal. We figured when we started our 5th wheel adventures 2 years ago that anything over 10 mpg would be a bonus. Our SD has exceeded those expectations on all of our out of state excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1_oldgoat

AAdams, what rear end ratio ratio does your truck have?? Is your Ram a diesel or the new gasser that Dodge is using?? I got better mileage with my 2013 Ram 3500 drw 6.7 cummins, by just changing out the air cleaner to an Airaid filter. Averaged close to 16mpg, not towing, combined freeway and town driving. I just installed tuner, went with and Edge Juice with cs, and an AFE cold air intake, that helped quite a bit, picked up close to 2mpg, i thought it would be better but the 4.10 rear may be whats keeping mileage down a little compared to my 07. Still can't complain with close to 18mpg, better than th3 wifes Jeep gets anyway. I'll post mileage when we take off on our next trip, need to cross some scales to see what we weigh to, before the engine mods i was getting between 10-11 towing our Gateway 3500. It would be great to see 12-13, time will tell.

MagnoliaTom

I can give the results of our last trip from northwest Houston to the Davis mountains. Total miles driven was 1475. We used 140.79 gallons of diesel. Average was 10.48. Actually could have been better but I had a turbo hose blow and I burned a lot of fuel limping along the highway trying to find a dealer. We only got 7 mpg on that tank. We have an 06 F350 DRW with 4.10 rear end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The FLTruck MPG comparison showed a pretty good difference between the F350 (worse) and the Ram 3500 (better), so much so, that the FLTruck people were surprised. Two things to note: first if you watch the video, it appears that the F350 spends more time at stop lights than the Ram; second, the test mileage is only 44 miles. As to the second, FLT acknowledge in a later test that such a short distance is insufficient to draw any meaningful conclusion and announce that they will increase distance in future tests. Nevertheless, this is an interesting test. Hopefully they will repeat it with the 2016 Ram, Chevy and Ford. Fuelly is also a good place to track fuel mileage for heavy duties. I'm getting a little less than 12 towing a BH with a 2015 F350 SRW 3.31 vs. slightly better than 12 towing a 35' Cameo with a 2011 F250 SRW 3.31. This may be because the 2015 engine has low mileage and is not broken in yet. Got between 15 and 17 towing an 34 'Avion (10000 lb silver tow behind) with a 1999 Ram 2500 (no pollution control stuff).

AAdams

AAdams, what rear end ratio ratio does your truck have?? Is your Ram a diesel or the new gasser that Dodge is using?? I got better mileage with my 2013 Ram 3500 drw 6.7 cummins, by just changing out the air cleaner to an Airaid filter. Averaged close to 16mpg, not towing, combined freeway and town driving. I just installed tuner, went with and Edge Juice with cs, and an AFE cold air intake, that helped quite a bit, picked up close to 2mpg, i thought it would be better but the 4.10 rear may be whats keeping mileage down a little compared to my 07. Still can't complain with close to 18mpg, better than th3 wifes Jeep gets anyway. I'll post mileage when we take off on our next trip, need to cross some scales to see what we weigh to, before the engine mods i was getting between 10-11 towing our Gateway 3500. It would be great to see 12-13, time will tell.

We have the 6.7L CTD/Aisin/4.10. Last fill up city/hwy was 16.23mpg (best so far) and towing the BH3750 with a scaled combined weight of 26120 we averaged 9.84 mpg from Michigan to southwest MO with very strong head / cross winds most of the drive. I had to stop a couple times because winds were too strong and was just blowing the trailer too much. I normally run in the low to mid 60's on the highway. If I pull above 65 mph, the mpg will drop. If I can get a replacement truck this winter, I will be going to the 68RFE and a 3.73 if at all possible. I have not made any mods to the truck, and with all the computer and other problems, I'm glad I haven't. We currently have about 7800 miles on the truck, about 2600 miles of that were towing.

Bones

We have the 6.7L CTD/Aisin/4.10. Last fill up city/hwy was 16.23mpg (best so far) and towing the BH3750 with a scaled combined weight of 26120 we averaged 9.84 mpg from Michigan to southwest MO with very strong head / cross winds most of the drive. I had to stop a couple times because winds were too strong and was just blowing the trailer too much. I normally run in the low to mid 60's on the highway. If I pull above 65 mph, the mpg will drop. If I can get a replacement truck this winter, I will be going to the 68RFE and a 3.73 if at all possible. I have not made any mods to the truck, and with all the computer and other problems, I'm glad I haven't. We currently have about 7800 miles on the truck, about 2600 miles of that were towing.
I'm starting to wonder if 2014 was a bad year for rams.