Ram 3500 vs Ford F350 Highway MPG Comparison - TFL Truck Review

Mburtsvt

Over the next 5 years, if you drive 50,000 miles, it's a difference of $1441.00. I know Ford owners love their trucks. This report just calculates the cost of love. :)

Diesel Cost$2.75
RAMFordCost Diff
MPG14.2012.36
Miles500500
Gallons Used35.240.5
Cost$96.83$111.25$14.41
Annual Miles1000010000
Annual Gallons 704 809
Annual Cost $ 1,936.62 $ 2,224.92$288.30
5 year cost difference$1,441.50
Thats all - More than made up in Ram v.s Ford 5 year resale value.

Bohemian

Thats all - More than made up in Ram v.s Ford 5 year resale value.

We have 11 years and 270,000 miles on our Honda Civic. Frugal people will save even more on fuel.

Also, one can not test every variable under every circumstance for very long times with a high number of repeats. Especially small independent teams like TFLTruck. The results are clear and highly significant. They mean exactly what they demonstrate. Do they say what will happen in city traffic? No! But I would bet on a similar result. Do they address any large number of other variables? No! Neither does any test we ever make. We never cover all variables over all circumstances. We can't

MTPockets

HP is what moves the truck. End of story. HP accelerates the truck. HP keeps the truck moving. HP is what overcomes air resistance and the resistance of the truck to movement (friction). One wants to use the least HP (fuel or energy per second) to keep the truck moving at a constant speed.

The importance of torque is that much of the power (HP) is available at lower rpm in higher torque engines. Larger motors that breath more air produce larger amounts of torque. Smaller engines produce less torque. All by burning more or lesser amounts of fuel per revolution. To get the same HP as a high torque engine a low torque engine must operate at higher RPM with all the noise, vibration, and engineering problems and expense of operation at higher RPM.

More HP at lower RPMs makes it easier to start moving a trailer. It makes it easier to keep the trailer moving at low engine RPM.

When we quote HP, power, we always mean peak power which is available only at the higher RPM where peak power is produced. Why, because power increases with RPM up to the point where inefficiencies in combustion creep in. Usually we run at a lower RPM and get less than peak power. That also means we use leas fuel than required to produce the available peak power. Peak torque is very important because it occurs at the RPM where the engine is most efficient. Where combustion is closest to ideal and the motor turns most freely/ has the least internal friction. That is where one ideally want's to drive for maximum fuel efficiency and most stabile pull. Using less power is a good thing.
. Actually, it's the torque that's required to move the load. HP for speed, torque for load. A 1 HP engine can move any load, thousands of lbs., if the gear ratio between motor and load is big enough. That would be at a very slow speed, but it would move the load with no problem. If more speed is needed, an increase in HP would be needed with the same gear ratio. Add more load, then more torque is required by increasing the gear ratio. This. Is why a 3.35 axle ratio can pull less weight than a 4.3 ratio. This increases torque at the axle.

superduty08

Tennessee Chapter Leaders
The difference between the two wouldn't sway my purchase as much as how much I liked to drive the truck. We all have our preferences and I'm glad we live where we have choices.

BLHFUN

My 4200 just got picked up...... By a Dodge. Very sad! :). She will never be the same. I bet she holds a grudge when she comes home.

All kidding aside, I have noticed that almost every transport company I see towing is using a dodge. I'm a ford guy, but the dodge is a pulling beast for sure.

Kosanko

I would like to see the result of this comparison pulling a #15500 high profile 5th wheel..... On a 400 mile run in varying altitudes.

brianlajoie

I think the time of day and traffic load can impact that short of a drive. Not sure if the route included the 3 lane to 2 lane reduction, but traffic varies a lot in that section of highway during the day. Also, with the posted amounts for diesel cost variance and the cost of the vehicles, the Ford is slightly ahead in a five year cost of ownership comparison.
I can agree with Jim on the technical details of the RAM, but I bought the Ford because of the electronics and interior comfort.

porthole

Retired
Over the next 5 years, if you drive 50,000 miles, it's a difference of $1441.00. I know Ford owners love their trucks. This report just calculates the cost of love. :)

Diesel Cost$2.75
RAMFordCost Diff
MPG14.2012.36
Miles500500
Gallons Used35.240.5
Cost$96.83$111.25$14.41
Annual Miles1000010000
Annual Gallons 704 809
Annual Cost $ 1,936.62 $ 2,224.92$288.30
5 year cost difference$1,441.50

Numbers ..........
Now since the the two trucks tested were not equal in price - the Ram being $2247 more, that equates to a net loss of $806 for the luxury of driving a Ram, that most likely will not last as long as the Ford :cool:

Bohemian

Numbers ..........
Now since the the two trucks tested were not equal in price - the Ram being $2247 more, that equates to a net loss of $806 for the luxury of driving a Ram, that most likely will not last as long as the Ford :cool:

Options?

Bohemian

. Actually, it's the torque that's required to move the load. HP for speed, torque for load. A 1 HP engine can move any load, thousands of lbs., if the gear ratio between motor and load is big enough. That would be at a very slow speed, but it would move the load with no problem. If more speed is needed, an increase in HP would be needed with the same gear ratio. Add more load, then more torque is required by increasing the gear ratio. This. Is why a 3.35 axle ratio can pull less weight than a 4.3 ratio. This increases torque at the axle.

Yes, old explanations to help those who do not understand energy, power ,torque, etc. Yet, they are misleading.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
What I would like to know is if anyone is getting 12+ MPG in a ford while pulling their 5th wheel?

BLHFUN

What I would like to know is if anyone is getting 12+ MPG in a ford while pulling their 5th wheel?

between 6 and 7 MPG on flat level ground at 70. I drove 65 mph across Kansas and got 6.7 mpg. It hurt my feelings.! Lol!

i will tell you that I was loaded down at just over 30k

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
The test in this case was about 1/2 the weight of our 5'ers.

Yes I saw that, but with my 2010, I am getting about 9/9.5 MPH and was really wondering what the new Fords was getting. Wondering if a new one is getting that much more pulling about 17.5K!

JanAndBill

With our modified 06 F350 4x4 with 4.10 rears, 65-68 MPH, we average between 11 and 12 MPG, depending on terrain and wind. Last year in a strong head wind on flat ground it dropped to 8 MPG. Not towing, on street mode, I have gotten as high as 24 MPG. An increase in speed will have a significant effect on fuel mileage. Several years ago we bought some new Western Stars with the big chrome external air cleaners hanging out the side. They had a lot of complaints on those models regarding fuel mileage and did some studies, in which they found there was no significant difference in having the outside air cleaner at 55 MPH, but at 70 MPH the wind resistance on the air cleaner required an additional 25 HP. I've noticed that several of those that I've talked to with reduced mileage have had a tendency toward a heavy foot, but it seems like the newer models are also less fuel efficient.

porthole

Retired

I was routinely getting 12-12.5 (55-60) pulling a loaded toy hauler, up until the service tech did a computer upgrade that I specifically asked not be done. My mileage dropped an average 2 MPG's after the wonderful update.

My average now is 9 - 9.5. I can get 10 - 1.5 if I keep the speed under 55

caissiel

I can get close to 12 average on a 2000 miles trip towing my 15k lbs BC. Been doing it for 8 years with my 2005 6.0l Ford/International. No longer a PS because Ford really messed it up.