Newest GM versus Ford shootout 04/01/11

Vtxkid

I was impressed watching Porthole's video link on the Frame-Strenght test between the Ford and Chevy.... A must see!

bill40

I feel all 3 manufacturers make a great truck and it's all about what you like about the truck. What I like is not having payments. I guess I'll be hanging on to BART as long as we own a 5th wheel or I win the Lotto. If I win the Lotto I'll buy one of each so I don't get bored.:rolleyes::p

I agree whole heartily with Ray. Plus if there was only one brand what would we have to talk about around the campfire.

ricatic

...the problem with this comparison is the obvious edit tampering by the testers...the testers are receiving a much deserved credibility hit and the publisher, who may not have done the edit tampering, is quite guilty of spreading around some dubious at best information. Here is a link to a long discussion that started as a Ford bash but took an interesting turn on page 4.

http://www.trailerlife.com/cforum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24940837.cfm

It did get closed...

Regards

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I hate to say this, But this is getting very old. If all you Ford lovers want to beat your chests about how great your truck is..... GREAT. BUT I for 1 am getting fed up with it. I like my GM truck and I will keep buying them..If you other guys don't like it...TOUGH. If you want to run down my truck....then do it to my face and not sit and hide behind computor screen. 6.7 your railings about how great a Ford is still a little over the top for me. Sorry, but thats how I feel..OH and BTW, when talking about gears ratio's 4:11 and 4:30 is a 'lower" ratio not higher ratio compared to 3:73's. Almost... JMHO ( boy am I going to be in trouble for this) BUT ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

Bob&Patty

Sorry, not bashing...stating my point of view. My point is/was you come on just a little strong at times. You are a avid Ford person and you are intitled to your point of view but not intitled to down grade what other people like or buy or their political views. It's almost to the point that you are telling everyone that they are stupid because they don't drive a Ford,IMHO. Thats not your place on this forum. We are here to help other's. I'm not going to air my feelings on our 'fearless" leader as this is not a political forum. As stated before, Ford also recieved money to stay afloat..no matter how they got it. I, as many millions of other people were very upset about GM taking Government money, but thousands of people are still working aren't they. Just to clear things up...what do you have as a daily driver a Ford or a foreign car? Just wondering. I worked for GM for 47 years and never had a bad one but my folks sure had alot of crappy Fords over those years. I'm glad that Ford now has a good solid drivetrain and Allison helped them design a good trans about 3 years ago. I have never-ever said to anyone that Ford builds a bad truck. They had issues with the "cornbinder" engines and now that is past.

If it came to buying a "rice burner" or a Ford and GM fell of a cliff...I would buy a Ford.

SO...we can get past this or stay at odds over this and never have a normal and nice conversation if we ever have the chance to meet at a rally. Your choice. BTW, you have been on this forum for at least 2 months airing your views. Good luck. Bob

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
All I can say is...I LOVE MY NEW CHEVY!!! What an amazing tow vehicle...bar none!!! I thought the Kodiak C4500 was a towing beast...well, it didn't have anything on this new 3500HD!! It has a higher GCWR, higher TT and 5er tow rating...and does it while riding like a Cadilac!

Now, "why did I buy a Chevy, you ask"? Before the Kodiak we had a '98 Dodge..absolutely loved that Cummins, but never really trusted the tranny, and until June of this year (won't hit the dealers till then) Dodge didn't make anything that could handle our load...and still don't trust the tranny.

We really loved the Duramax and Allison combination in the Kodiak, it served us flawlessly, but it's still a work truck no matter how much you dress it up...and it rode like one. Probably would have never bought it if any of the Big 3 had made a truck capable of our load back in '07.

As for Ford...well never had a Ford, that in our opinion was ever worth a plug nickle, and after watching their last two diesel "debacles"...not a chance!!

This left us with the Chevy, which has been completely revamped...right down to the great new fully boxed frame! We've got almost 2,000 miles on it already...700 of that towing, and we COULD NOT BE HAPPIER!! JMHO!!

Bob&Patty

Kathy, this is my point. You don't like Ford products, so you bought a Chevy. 6.7 doesn't like GM or Dodges so he won't buy one. Thats his opinion and option. Fine, but keep beating on everybody that Ford is best. What I buy is MY business..not anyones else's and as long as it's a free country I will do so. Everybody and I mean everybody is intitled to like and buy what they want without being belittled by anyone one this forum or anywhere else. Be it Levis or Wranglers, tighty whitey's or boxers. WHO CARES.

When it gets to that point, I will be done with forum's and people that just want to put others down and only there stuff is the best. I don't need the aggraviation.

Jim2, the "sorry" was not for you. I did not bring up any political or bashing statements. Seems to me that all the political stuff was 6.7 and some others. It was directed at 6.7 and if he took it as bashing....sorry didn't mean it that way. I am just trying to make a point. Not one person is always right and everybody else is wrong. Love your Ford, Chevy or Dodge....I don't give a D***. Nuff said on the subject.

6.7powerstroke

Sure you were bashing me, but I am fine with it. Honestly, I am over it, have been. Just fun to stir the pot on the Ford/Dodge/Obama Motors debate. See? Just did it again. To be honest, they are all awesome trucks, think about how much more truck you get today from any of these guys than what you got 5 years ago. It is pretty cool in all honesty. I have blue oval in my blood, you have a yellow bowtie, doesn't mean we can't be friends. I am a die hard Red Sox fan and have plenty of friends who are Yankee fans. I look past their obvious short comings.

To answer your other questions, my wife drives a Lexus. I don't like it, but it is paid for and don't want to plunk down money for a new vehicle, just did that. My daily driver is my truck, it was a BMW 5 series before that, but didn't need three cars so I got rid of it. I had a 7.3 before this that was just too big and hard to park for a daily driver, but the new ones are much better.

Bob&Patty

Dave, you seem to be an intelligent person. Thats why it's had to believe that you continue to stir the pot. I thought maybe your mother was scared by a GM truck before you were born. LOL Not everyone agree's with you on the choice of trucks. So why continue with the "Obama motors" comments and why isn't Dodge "Obama motors" also and took a bailout 2 times. As to bashing, well Dave I don't believe in "political correctness". It is what it is and I will tell you straight out what I think. I don't beat around the bush.....tooo old for that.

I'm glad you have the "Blue Oval" in your blood. My parents and grandparents always drove GM cars. Had an uncle that drove nothing but Plymouths. Ford and GM have always tried to "one up each other". To the Chrysler guys, I hope the new "RAM" works out good.

BTW, Dave, you still can't, no matter how hard you try, stuff a SB Ford in a Model A. Henry knew somehow Argus was going to design the SB Chevy and that it would fit with out having to cut out the firewall. We in the Hot Rod world call them Chev-ords or the Ford fans call them Ford-0-lette's. Just a little trivia for ya.

OK enough of the bashing..jumping up and down..about who makes the best truck. Call a truce and be done with it.

Moose

I was begining to wonder what the term "shoot out" applied to. The owners or their trucks. ROFL

jimtoo

YEP!!!! A truce is called for.... no more or I will use the delete key on the whole thing...Probably should have already done it... I consider everyone even now.

If you want to discuss the trucks,,, OK... but they are DODGE,,,,, GM...... FORD.....NOTHING ELSE!!

Jim M

porthole

Retired
Saw my first 0-11 Dodge the other day. This was a 4500 and has the big blue cap on the side. For a Cummins it was awfully quiet, on par with the 6.7 - which is way too quiet.

So i guess MOPAR, Jimmy and Chebby, Furd are now off limits - lets not get too heavy handed here as we have in the past.

ricatic

...did I log onto rvnet by mistake??? as to this comparison...it sure is not hurting Ford sales any...if the parts shortage does not hamper production too much, Ford is on track to sell 300,000 new 2011 Ford 6.7 diesel trucks. The Kentucky Truck Plant is not building trucks this week but will reopen next week to a backlog of over 33000 diesel Super Duty's in the dealer order bank...