Next Newbe Question: Battery

mbopp

I've got 2 G-29 batteries mounted on the tongue. To conserve the batteries and for faster charging off a generator I:

1) Added an IOTA 55A deck mount converter in the front pass-through. This gives me a 3' cable run to the batteries and is a better charger than the WFCO converter. The converter came from my previous trailer.
2) Converted to LED lighting, one LED panel draws 1/7 the current of a 921 bulb (36-1210 warm white.)
3) Added an on-off toggle switch to the Jensen radio. ZERO draw when it's off.
4) Only run the water heater when we need it. No use wasting propane & batteries.

The Dometic fridge in our old trailer had a switch for the door heater, a feature I miss on the new Norcold.

After dry camping for 3 days with one 24 group battery and a Generator that died on the second day, (that was the real bummer) and the battery dying shortly after that, we went with the Energizer 6 volt batteries from SAMS Club and could not be happier. They lasted almost four days.

Last edited:

jimtoo

Hi Compfixerdude,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

Keep us up to date on your generator if you have problem.

Enjoy the forum and your Silverado and try to make a rally when you can.

Jim M

What battery (type/size) usually comes in the new rig? The battery in my new BH 3010RE has NO marking, so all I can do is measure for the series, but I don't know about the AH and depth of the current battery. I want to add a second batt, but I would like to match as best as possible. Is matching really necessary? I'm working off of hearsay and friends advice right now...

Thanks

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Desertwood, it looks like you are doing the right thing by wanting to match up the batteries.
Have you pulled the battery and looked on the side for any information?
A call to Heartland Customer Service may also get you the information you are looking for.

Peace
Dave

pegmikef

What battery (type/size) usually comes in the new rig? The battery in my new BH 3010RE has NO marking, so all I can do is measure for the series, but I don't know about the AH and depth of the current battery. I want to add a second batt, but I would like to match as best as possible. Is matching really necessary? I'm working off of hearsay and friends advice right now...

Thanks

Yeah, I just went through the same thing. My dealer wasn't sure who manufactured it as there were absolutely no markings. He said he only paid about thirty bucks for them. So I just yanked it and bought a matched pair of group 27s and will just use the other as a spare for whatever might need it (e.g., trolling motor, boat, trailer, whatever). From what I have read, they should be matched so that they are charged evenly and discharged evenly. I just connected mine in parallel and use the ground from one and the hot from the other battery (per a diagram I saw elsewhere on this forum).

Last edited: