Next Newbe Question: Battery

Greengas

My current 5'er has two 12v batteries and for the amount of boondocking we do that works out fine. I know the new Landmark comes with one battery but space for two. So, my question is, what type of battery (I know it will be a 12v not a 6v) does it come with? Is it a group 24, 27, 31? Is it a true deep cycle or a Marine deep cycle? My reason for the question is I want to buy a second battery so I need to know what to get. Or, I need to just buy two batteries, probably group 27, that will handle my needs.

As always, thanks for all the advice and guidance.

porthole

Retired
Batteries are installed by the dealer and usually tend to be the cheapest available.

Would be a good one to discuss with your dealer to see what they are installing.

danemayer

You'll want a pair of matched group 27s. As Duane said, good discussion to have with the dealer. He owes you the first one; you'll pay extra for the 2nd.

Greengas

Thanks for the info. I just sent an e-mail to my dealer asking what type they put in and letting him know that I will be, in the long run, wanting a second. Should be interesting to see what they use.

DougS

Doug S
The deal I made with my dealers that the original battery (2 weeks old) be replaced with two new identical batteries, same type and size. This was included in price at time of signing contract.

pegmikef

I am discussing putting in two Trojan six volt batteries with my dealer for the greater amperage . . in place of the twelve volt battery . . Right now the only concern is the fit.

Greengas

I am discussing putting in two Trojan six volt batteries with my dealer for the greater amperage . . in place of the twelve volt battery . . Right now the only concern is the fit.

Which 6 volt batteries and what is the cost difference?

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
If you opt for 6V Trojan batteries (I would go with Trojan brand due to their longer life expectancy) I would stay with the T105. The T125 does have a slightly higher amp rating but it is only warranted for 6 months vs 12 months for the T105. If you are boondocking where every amp counts you may want the T125 but for most the additional cost (and less warranty) wouldnt justify it.

pegmikef

Which 6 volt batteries and what is the cost difference?

Yeah Neale I use the T105s. Right now I just take a couple out of my golf cart for my TT when we boondock. I find that they work just fine (but I run one of the generators to charge them up daily). I run a 12V fan all night and have never had a problem. Since I have to pay for a battery for the new rig anyway, I figure I will just spend the extra bucks and get a pair of the 105s

As to cost, I am not sure what they run right now. The last one I bought was a hundred bucks, but by now it they are probably around 140 bucks or so . . . not a whole lot more than a top of the line 12 V battery will run you.

Greengas

So, as I move through this maze of ordering and then waiting for my new Landmark I have narrowed down the choices for the battery. I have been sending e-mails to the dealer (Camping World in Longmont, Colorado) on this issue and here is what I am looking at doing, please let me know if I am spending my money well.

Camping world is having a sale on their Exide Stowaway Deep Cycle batteries. The group 27 which is rated at 105 amp hours goes for $118.99 and the group 31 which is rated for 120 amp hours goes for $129.00 I would like to get two of the the group 31 (need to make sure it will fit which is hard to do when there is no Landmark currently on the dealer's lot) batteries. I figure for the cost difference the amp hour difference is pretty good. I do not do a lot of boondocking but I want to make sure I have enough battery for a day or two at the most. I know I could go for more expense and step up to AGM's or 6 volt but for my usage 12V flooded I think will work well.

So, thoughts, opinions, suggestions, etc. Please fire them all my way. While this is not my first RV it is the first time I am ordering one and I want to make sure I get it right!

Thanks in advance.

ICamel

Ronn:
If it was me, I would have them put all LED lighting in the Landmark and go with 2 group 27 batteries, unless you plan on running the furnace overnight, then I would opt for the group 31's. Even at that, you might want a small gasoline generator to keep the batteries topped off with running the furnace.

Greengas

Ronn,

Do you know the size difference and do you have to decide before your Landmark arrives at the dealer?

I can look up the size difference on the Exide website so that is no problem. But, as of right now, if I want the sale price I have until the 29th of July to decide. My coach is going to be built during the week of 25 July. I am going to send an e-mail to the brand manager at Heart Land with the size of the group 31 batteries and ask him if he can find out if they will fit.

TXTiger

I don't boondock a lot but have a few times, usually for three or four days. I only have one 12v battery. I run my generator during the day so I can use my 2 air conditioners. I have never had any problems with the battery going dead since the generator is recharging it daily. My only problem was running low on fuel for the generator but with a few trips to the gas station with a 5 gallon can while out and about exploring we solved this need.

GOTTOYS

And the charging system can handle that? Also, I always thought they were much bigger in size and did not last as long as the 12volt group 31 or 27 batteries.
Your charging system can handle as many batteries as you want to throw at it...However the more batteries, the longer it will take to charge them....Don

pegmikef

Another option is two T105 6V golf cart batteries in series. They are much more durable than marine batteries and you get 225 Ah @ 12V out of a pair. You can buy them for under $80 ea.

Hey Scotty, are those Trojan T105 or some other brand? I like Trojans, but around here they run a hundred dollars plus. Where can you get them for less that eighty bucks?? The ones on your link looked like they were energizers (it never came up on my computer, but I saw the name in the path).

evolvingpowercat

I have two group 24 Marine Batteries in parallel and each is rated about 110 Amp-Hours (that means you can draw 5 amps for 22 hours and take the battery from 100% charge to 20% charge. 20% is the minimum recommended for 12 volt marine batteries without reducing their life substantially. Actually anytime you drain below 50% you reduce battery life slightly so when sizing your batteries you should try to size to go from 100% to 50% if size and cost permits.

The base loads in your RV like the Propane leak detector, refrigerator and water heater control boards, Jensen stereo will use about 15 amp-hours per day. I have found that a 80 watt solar panel will more than replace what I tend to use in a day even in spring / fall when running the heater at night.

A one time investment in LED bulbs can do wonders to reduce your battery use. A 3 Watt LED will give out as much light as a 20 Watt standard bulb. I find one of the biggest drains for me is running the gas heater in cold weather, the 12 volt fan that the standard RV heaters use draws a lot of juice. Also make sure your RV refrigerator never gets set to 12 volt mode for any length of time when boondocking that a real battery drainer, the fridge running in 12 volt mode will draw almost 15 amps for 10-30 minutes per hour depending on the temperature around the fridge.

I researched and decided that Wal-Mart sells a good quality marine battery at a good price ( $ 65 ) so that's what I went with. There will be no problem putting a different brand of marine battery in parallel with the RV dealer provided first battery. I would price a second battery and the two cables ( $ 20 at Wal-mart ) and go armed with information to your RV dealer who likely gets batteries in pallet loads and pays less than you would pay Wal-mart. I would suggest you get them to add the second battery including cables for $ 100. Its likely your first set of batteries provided by the dealer will be shorter life than future sets you buy yourself that likely are higher quality. I agree that the RV dealer is likely buying a pallet of the very cheapest batteries they can get and they may not even be marine type deep cycle batteries.

The batteries will lose capacity over time. To maximize the battery life at least twice per year pull the caps and top off the batteries with distilled water. Be sure not to contaminate the battery fluid with anything other than distilled water or let crud fall down into the fill holes when you have the caps off.

scottyb

Hey Scotty, are those Trojan T105 or some other brand? I like Trojans, but around here they run a hundred dollars plus. Where can you get them for less that eighty bucks?? The ones on your link looked like they were energizers (it never came up on my computer, but I saw the name in the path).

They are in fact Energizers. One thing I found in my research was closely related to what Randy just said, only he was referring to 12V. There is no doubt that the Trojans are a better battery, but at least one author felt that they were not enough better to justify the difference in cost between them and the GC-2's that you can purchase at wholesalers like Sam's or Costco.