Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Chippendale

I just dropped my trailer at a dealer's for some service work and while there, I picked up a brochure on nitrogen (NitroFill) instead of compressed air for tire inflation. Is any one using it, about what does it cost for 4 tires, and is it worth the cost? I know my car has it as the dealer is putting it in the cars they sell, and topped mine off at no charge last time I was in. I just put a new set of Michiliens on the trailer a few weeks ago, so was thinking if it is worth doing and doesn't cost as much as new tires, this might be the time to do it. Just looking for opinions.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
This is a huge debate. Here's my 2 cents. We have used nitrogen in all of our vehicles and campers since early 2000. The tires seem to run cooler, at least that's what's showing in our tst tire monitor system on the camper, and wear better because the tires hold the pressure better. Some folks say it's a gimmit to get more $$$ because you can't get a good vacuum on the tires before adding the nitrogen but our tire dealership does pull a vacuum on each tire before adding the nitrogen. If you are on the road and need to add more air to the tires, that's ok.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'm a believer in the use of nitrogen. My selling dealer - Ron Hoover in Houston - put mine in soon after buying the LM. The company they deal with has a nationwide network that they will refer you to in case you have to add air to a low tire. As Nathan and Byrd said, the tires don't heat up while driving and with nitro molecules being larger than air, they don't leak and seldom need topping off. My original tires lasted almost 5 years before the first blowout, so I believe I got a bit longer life from the tires. I believe I paid around $80 to have the service done originally, but it was at a rally and may have been a special price for us.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
My new Ram came with Nitro in each tire as well. It has lifetime service, just go back to the dealer and they will add if required..Also they mentioned when I get my new Sundance to bring it in and they will fill the RV tries as well...
Since this is my first experience with it, not sure if it really works but everyone says it keeps the heat down and won't leak out like air will.
To me it's worth the gamble for now.

Bohemian

Air is 80% nitrogen and 20% oxygen and less than 1% is other gasses.

Oxygen and nitrogen gasses are near identical in properties relevant to inflating tires. Heat capacity, heat conduction, expansion cooefficient, etc.

RoadJunkie

There are several reasons (you have to decide if they are "good" reasons) one might use nitrogen in your tires. Read this...

Bogie

As Nabo says, this is a huge debate. IMHO, if you think there is an advantage, then you should use Nitrogen.

Those who disagree would ask you to remember back before Nitrogen became popular and if you had more tire problems back then.

The whole issue is a bit subjective and comes down to personal belief.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Noofear

I've had two 5th Wheels with factory nitrogen and didn't have any problems. I figured if nitrogen was good enough for the airline industry, it was good enough for my tow vehicle. I paid 27 dollars in North Platte to do my dually.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Unless you plan to carry a big tank of nitrogen around for all of the adjusting that most here like to do to their tires before traveling . . . don't waste your money.

By the way . . . my 2015 Chevy 2500HD came with old fashioned air in the tires . . . not nitro!

Noofear

Unless you plan to carry a big tank of nitrogen around for all of the adjusting that most here like to do to their tires before traveling . . . don't waste your money.

By the way . . . my 2015 Chevy 2500HD came with old fashioned air in the tires . . . not nitro!
that's the beauty of nitrogen is you don't have to constantly check and adjust your tire pressure the nitrogen holds pressure better than just the old air

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

You would not notice any difference if the air being used was DRY air. It is the water content that will have the most effect. Moisture traps after the compressor do not remove the water content (humidity) from the compressed air. Just the condensed water as it is pushed through the air lines. Dry air can be purchased in a compressed bottle form just like compressed bottled nitrogen. Not having water in the gas used to inflate should help the tire last longer. That being said, when on the road do you carry compressed nitrogen to adjust the pressure in your tires? A long trip around the county you will end up using a standard compressor with air.

Chippendale

This is getting to be a larger controversy than Global Warming. I guess the best thing to do is leave well enough alone, or sell the RV and retire to the recliner, at least it doesn't have to be aired up.

Bohemian

Net.

Dry is better than wet.

In some critical applications where there is a fire hazard, N2 does not support combuxtiin.

porthole

Retired
There is no controversy in global warming, it has been happening of millions of years. :D
And because of global warming, we have the Hudson river to boat in, and the Hudson Canyon to fish in

This is getting to be a larger controversy than Global Warming. I guess the best thing to do is leave well enough alone, or sell the RV and retire to the recliner, at least it doesn't have to be aired up.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
There is no controversy in global warming, it has been happening of millions of years. :D
And because of global warming, we have the Hudson river to boat in, and the Hudson Canyon to fish in

Where can I cash in my carbon credits?