No 12 volt power unless plugged in...

Bob Vaughn

When getting the truck hooked to the BC I found that unless I was plugged into 110 volts nothing 12volt worked in the camper...the 2 batteries had 12volts but when you went to the test panel nothing worked.......but when I plugged it in every thing worked. It is just as though a relay was stuck but people are telling me there is no relay that could stick....any thoughts would be appreciated......

Rickhansen

Reset your 12VDC Main Breaker. Not sure where it is on yours, bur on ours it is in the hydraulic pump compartment near the main battery tray. There's a small reset button that you'll have feel around for on the main red-rubber lug. If you search the forums you'll find many good pictures on it.

krhyde

Kentucky Chapter Leaders-retired
Had the same problem a couple of weeks ago and as already stated, check the 12VDC breaker. Bob's picture is right on. At first I didn't find the reset button but believe me, it is there and resetting it fixed my problem. Ken

I had the exact same problem last year with my BC3450TS.
What I found was the ground connection was broken.
The ground buss is located behind the battery, all the ground wires attach at that point.
The factory grounded the buss with one (1) self taping screw, at least mine was.
That is the only ground connection I had.
Well, the screw broke, and I had no ground.
I reinstalled the buss with two (2) screws, then added two (2) new ground wires from the buss to two (2) different points on the frame.
Problem solved.
My concern was with loss of my ground connection was that I would have no trailer brakes if the breakaway switch was pulled.
I would recommend everyone check out their ground connection.

Later

Hockster

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bob Vaughn

A great big thank you to Jim Beletti for finding and fixing my 12volt problem....It was a loose negative wire connection to the 2nd battery that I had installed....I am sure that I knocked it loose when I lifted the battery box to put carpet in that front compartment....Thanks to to Dick Hill, the safety man on the job, no one was injured during the completion of this job....

Last edited:

hillsonwheels

Right "wang" or left "wang".....:confused:...No matter "The Beletti" rode to the rescue one more time. :angel: It was really a tuff go for me standing around watching. :p I'm sure Bob's glad Jim gotter did!

Dick

Bob Vaughn

Yep I did, I held my breath when I turned off the main 120volt power. Then hit the switch to extend the front legs to raise the camper and it worked. I was so relieved.......We had an uneventful short trip home......short and sweet.....

Bksvo

Well, folks. I had a tire go bad today between Bremerton and Tacoma on my way to Mount St Helens. When I tried to put out the slides - No 12V power. Radio face was even dead - and I was hooked up to my pickup and it was running. I noticed when I tried to move the slide switch, the fuel guage would go to empty, like it was losing power on a low battery. I had to fire up the generator, and then all was well. When I finally got to my campsite tonight, again, no 12V power to put down the landing gear until I plugged in.

I've checked out the threads on this stuff, and for the life of me, I can not find any reset switches on the blocks behind the batteries. The batteries are only a few months old. The camper has been in continuous use for a month. We've been hooked up to shore power most nights, but just dry camped a few days ago. All battery connections and ground block are tight. I can hear the converter running, although tonight I haven't pulled off the panel to look at it. I reset all breakers in the panel (none were tripped) and no 12V fuses are blown. We do have a Progressive EMS hardwired in.

Any other suggestions?

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Everything points to bad batteries. Check the three fuses on the converter to make sure none are blown. I assume no lights work either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danemayer

If the slides work when plugged into shore power, or when the generator is running, but not just on the battery, then it does sound like a battery problem. When on shore power or generator, the power converter is providing the 12V, so the fact that the slides work when plugged in suggests the power converter is ok. The fact that not even the radio panel lights up suggests no voltage coming from the battery.

Get a battery tester (<$5) from an auto parts store and check the fluid in each cell of the battery. Also, if you have more than 1 battery, maybe one has gone bad but the other still works. You might try them individually.

Also, take another look at the buss bar near the battery. That where the row of 12v automotive circuit breakers are mounted. The reset buttons are tiny. If the one from the power converter has tripped, the battery won't get any charge.

Bob Vaughn

I had identically the same problem and it turned out to be a bad connection on the negative side of the battery. The wire was not crimped correctly. It looked and felt ok but a slight tug pulled the wire out of the connection. Just for grins take a jumper cable and hook one wire to the negative terminal and the other to the frame of the camper and see it that makes it work.......

Bksvo

I looked and felt all around those blocks for a reset button, and could not find or feel anything. Just smooth plastic. Pulled off all the plastic covers. I was hoping it was that easy.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Use a volt meter to check the voltage across the battery. If that is good, then remove the screws holding the 12V fuse panel inside the rig. Pull the fuse case out gently and check the main 12V line coming in. This will help you isolate the problem. Is your reefer working?

danemayer

I looked and felt all around those blocks for a reset button, and could not find or feel anything.
A lot of people have trouble finding the reset buttons. Let me suggest getting someone else to take a look A second set of eyes can be helpful. I'm attaching a picture that may help, along with a wiring diagram.

Attachments

• circuitbreaker.jpg
    circuitbreaker.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 12 V.pdf
    77.5 KB · Views: 61

Bksvo

Things that make you say "Hmm." Today all is well. I found one battery was a bit low on water, but not enough that it should have mattered, and I only filled it 30 minutes before we disconnected from shore power. I found the positive lead was loose at the genny, but again, that shouldn't have mattered. No other loose connections or blown fuses or popped CBs.I'm happy it's working, but waiting for the dreaded return. If someone has a picture that actually shows the reset button, I'd appreciate seeing it. I looked/felt/devined my way around all of those posts, and couldn't find a thing.Thanks again for the help!

A big thank you to the Danemeyers, July 2012, for the info on the reset button location. Several calls to the dealer and they did not offer help on why I suddenly was without power unless plugged in on my 2010 Big Country fifth wheel. The reset was the problem..cause...a simple battery charging solar panel actually overcharged the batteries, kicking out the protection switch. I would have never found it. Spent 1/2 a day removing the basement walls to access the converter, tracing wires, testing fuses and breakers, removed both batteries and had them checked. So, if you want ot use a solar trickle charger I recommend a charge limiter switch be installed as well.

jbeletti

pritchie06,

Great news - thanks for sharing and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum. Want to have even more (real) fun? Join the Heartland Owners Club and come out to an Oregon Chapter Rally! Fun-fun :)