No dc power after turning off shore power

Hello, I have a 262 Rv Sundance that has only been used on shore power. When there is a outage there’s no 12 volt power at all. My battery is fully charged and the plunger style disconnect switch pushed in or pulled out and still no dc power. The converter is working fine and there’s no blown fuses and when I load the converter the fan goes on to cool it down. All breakers are on and functional. I’m stumped as to why there’s no battery power as my battery has water and is testing at 12.7 volts hooked and unhooked to the rig. Help

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Check the 12 volt bank of breakers and look, feel for a tiny reset button on the side of one of those breakers.
Push the reset button.

Peace
Dave

Check the 12 volt bank of breakers and look, feel for a tiny reset button on the side of one of those breakers.
Push the reset button.

Peace
Dave
Thanks Dave, there’s no 12 volt breakers inside my rig. Somewhere outside near the battery box is a buss bar with some small breakers, but I don’t know how to identify it or I can’t find it. My rig is sealed underbelly, all I see near the battery is a junction box that has the wire loom going into it. Sounds like a fix to me only if I could find that buss bar.
Peace
Paul

Thanks Dave, there’s no 12 volt breakers inside my rig. Somewhere outside near the battery box is a buss bar with some small breakers, but I don’t know how to identify it or I can’t find it. My rig is sealed underbelly, all I see near the battery is a junction box that has the wire loom going into it. Sounds like a fix to me only if I could find that buss bar.
Peace
Paul
989DC40A-1F61-4A47-A3CB-ABDB8A7BD3A7.jpeg3C1711B8-61C3-48F8-B0A8-B2771A205D7A.jpeg
Here’s what I have in my rig. The plunger disconnect switch, I don’t know which position is connected or disconnected. Thanks in advance!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Have you checked the buss near the battery box that has the 12 volt breakers? They will have red rubber covers.
That is where you would look for the reset button.
No guaranty that there is a reset button there but you need to check.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

The buss bar with small 12V DC mini-circuit breakers is usually within 1 - 2 feet of the battery. As Dave said, they'll be covered by red rubber boots. One of them has a teeny tiny reset button. On 5th wheels, there's usually a row of breakers. On travel trailers, they may be spread out a little.
circuit breaker reset.jpg

Dahillbilly

could use a volt meter or test light on those breakers Dave is talking about to make sure voltage is passing though each one. Connect one lead to known good ground & then test both side of each mini breaker.

could use a volt meter or test light on those breakers Dave is talking about to make sure voltage is passing though each one. Connect one lead to known good ground & then test both side of each mini breaker.
I take it the negative is silver and positive is brass? I used my multimeter and pulled off the wires and it tested OL WITH 000.0 both breakers don’t have reset buttons. One tested .5.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure you are testing correctly. You can't test voltage across the breaker. You must have the black lead of your multimeter to ground. So, put the black lead to the frame of your rig (it must contact metal) then use the red probe to test voltage at each lug of the breaker.

Peace
Dave

I'm not sure you are testing correctly. You can't test voltage across the breaker. You must have the black lead of your multimeter to ground. So, put the black lead to the frame of your rig (it must contact metal) then use the red probe to test voltage at each lug of the breaker.

Peace
Dave
Will do, do I leave the wires attached? If both sides have a reading is the breaker good? I’m thinking of buying (there are 2 breakers about 1 1/2 feet apart) new breakers that have reset buttons and replacing them both. Neither have re-set capability. Are they all 20 amp breakers I seem to believe the one closest to the battery is 30 amp but I could be wrong. The one closest to the battery is the positive battery cable.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes leave the wires on. The breakers are auto reset but they do fail. The only one with a reset button would be the main nearest the battery. If you swap out the breakers be sure to disconnect the neutral battery cable before you start.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

6.7LMegaCab

I had the same thing happen to me. But I didn't realize it for a few days. They didn't put manual reset breakers on my rig. The breaker that failed was the one coming right off the battery. I ended up replacing all of them but kept the ones that had good continuity as spares. The battery now has a manual reset.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Still no power to rig, checked all the mini breakers and they are all good. The converter is working fine and the battery disconnect switch works as well. All the fuses are good but don't know how to check the actual fuse panel to see if it's working or not. the battery is fully charged 12.7-12.8 volts and still no power, HELP! confused and dazed.

Dahillbilly

Next step is to see if you have power on the fuse panel; 1st remove one of the fuses & using your voltmeter as before check the connections for the fuse, One sideyou should have dc voltage. If you don't then the problem is in wiring from battery to panel. I would gain acess to back side of panel and check the main wire from the battery for voltage & just keep following the wire back till you get voltage. Good luck

2019_V22

Doesn't completely make sense as your battery seems to be staying charged.
Here is the "Manual" for your converter panel. You can look through some of the trouble shooting procedures and test as directed. As mentioned above you need to follow the trail of voltage from the battery to the converter. You'll want to test the battery voltage first, and continue to test at each connection you find, either across any +, and - points of contact (if available), or + to any available part of the frame.
Frame ground(s) may be an issue too.
A good shortcut would be to go to page 5, figure 2, and test for the battery voltage there at the 2 battery input points (From Battery +, From Battery -). To make sure you don't have any mis-haps be sure to disconnect your shore power completely when rooting around the converter panel, unless you are proficient with electrical.

https://wfcoelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/Updated-8930-50-Series-Manual-FINAL-RP.pdf

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Still no power to rig, checked all the mini breakers and they are all good. The converter is working fine and the battery disconnect switch works as well. All the fuses are good but don't know how to check the actual fuse panel to see if it's working or not. the battery is fully charged 12.7-12.8 volts and still no power, HELP! confused and dazed.
So let me ask you this…do the 12v appliances ie:lights, furnace fan, roof fan in bathroom, power awning, etc all work when on shore power but do not work when disconnected from shore power?
Do the leveling jacks work if not on connected to shore power?

Something doesn’t make sense. If the 12v works when on shore power, then the converter is operating that side of things.

The newer rigs aren’t wired like mine that was made in 2016. I have many more mini breakers than today’s. The 2 auto reset breakers I once had have since been modified with replacements.

Last edited:

Dahillbilly

all of the 12vdc items mentioned above should work if the battery is good & has enough capacity to run them for a little while. If they are not working & you know the battery is good (fully charged & load tested) the problem is in the wiring. keep posting questions till the problem is resolved

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I think you have a grounding issue. Check the ground wire from the negative battery terminal to the frame

6.7LMegaCab

With everything disconnected from shore power and Gen off, have you operated that battery disconnect plunger to see if you get power in either position? Perhaps pull that panel to see if the wires are disconnected from that plunger.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk