No hot water in new Gateway

This mine be completely off topic but I can't find anything else about hot water heater so if someone could help me or post a link that would be great but I just bought a gateway 3650bh and when I turn on the electric hot water heater it never warms up is there something else I need to be doing in order to get that to work? And note: after flipping that back off and flipping on the gas it gets hot but never on electric

danemayer

Re: No hot water

This mine be completely off topic but I can't find anything else about hot water heater so if someone could help me or post a link that would be great but I just bought a gateway 3650bh and when I turn on the electric hot water heater it never warms up is there something else I need to be doing in order to get that to work? And note: after flipping that back off and flipping on the gas it gets hot but never on electric
Hi Jeremy1990,

Congratulations on the new Gateway and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

We have a couple of owner-written guides that you'll find helpful. Take a look at the Water Heater Usage Guide in this folder. Page 4 shows the secondary switch on Suburban water heaters. Because the electric heating element will burn out pretty quickly if the water heater is turned on with no water in the tank, the secondary switch is left OFF while the trailer sits on the dealer lot. Then if someone starts flipping switches, it doesn't cause damage.

If the switch is already ON, it's possible that the electric element has been burned out by powering it up on an empty tank. If you think that might have happened, consult our Water Heater Troubleshooting Guide in this folder.

jimtoo

HI Jeremy1990,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and to the family. We have a great bunch of folks here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge when needed.

If you can get hot water on the propane side look outside at the water heater and you will find a switch, usually covered with rubber, that is the master switch. Most of the time it is off when shipped and the dealer usually does not turn it on. It may be left on and heater controlled by the switch inside. Please let us know what you find or if you need more help.

Be sure and check out our Heartland Owners Club. Join us at a rally when you can and meet lots of the great folks here and make friends for a lifetime.

Enjoy the forum and your new unit.

Jim M

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Look at the back side of the water heater outside of the trailer for this switch:

ProwlerWHswitch-P1000779.jpg

ProwlerWHswitch-P1000780.jpg

I only flip this on when we are parked and I've filled the water heater . . .

Haha wow I feel like a jackass now it was just a switch thanks for the quick replies guys im sure I'll have more questions later on this is my first 5th wheel just traded up from a 2014 hartland prowler

thanks again!!