No hot water on 110V - Attwood W/H in 2016 Mallard M33

nbkj5mw

Newbie owner looking for home help with a 2016 M33. Picked this rig up a few days ago.

It has the Attwood LP/electric water heater. Works fine on LP. When I turn on the electric switch on the control panel, I get no hot water. The switch does illuminate. I cycled the breaker, no change. I checked for 12V at the plug on the water heater that should be hot (per wiring diagram) with the electric switch on, no voltage. Seems like the issue is between the switch/control panel and the water heater.

Any suggestions?

TedS

There should be a small switch on the water heater that must be turned on for the electric to work. Open the outside access panel to see it on the water heater.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
The switch Ted is refering to might have a cotter pin in it. It should be a black rocker switch. Always make sure the tank is full of water before you turn on the 120V switch.

SGeohagan

We had a similar problem with our BigHorn. Wirenut had come off behind the switch and wires not connected.

nbkj5mw

Thanks danemayer - I thought I was going crazy missing that switch.

SGeohagen, I'll pull off the control panel and take a look. Thanks for the tip. Having always been in the boating world, it's seems crazy that they use wire nuts but I did notice them in some other places.

Oregon_Camper

OK, I'm going to admit something I did years ago, when I was new to RV world. I thought the electrical plugs should work, because I had a battery....of course I was wrong and my Dad had a nice chuckle at my inexperience. :rolleyes:

Any chance you're not plugged into shore power and thinking the same thing I did?

nbkj5mw

SGeohagen, you nailed it. The wire nut connecting the switched 12V to the water heater was gone and the wires had parted. Crimped them together and I have 12V at the water heater now. Thanks again for the tip.

Now on to why my fridge won't run on propane but that's a different post.