No Hot Water

BobTheBuilder

This is a quick post without a search. I previously had problems with both propane heating and electric. The propane needed the valve replaced and the electric needed a cut off switch replaced. Has worked great since.
Last night, the fitting at the top of the water heater turned loose (you know, where they use PEX fittings with reinforced flex tubing--a no-no). Both the electric and propane switches were off (we turn them off at bedtime) but my wife turned on the electric when she went to the bathroom about 3AM (not knowing the belly was being filled with water instead of the water heater). When I awakened and discovered the blown fitting, I turned off the water and the electric switch. This afternoon I repaired the hose/fitting but neither gas nor electric is working to heat the water. I know the element may have burned out during the night but what would keep the gas from firing up? I pushed both sides of the black pad that covers the reset buttons but nothing. Also checked the 110V breaker.
Any suggestions on where to start are appreciated.

wdk450

Bob:
Maybe the 12 volt DC igniter circuit board for the water heater got wet in the deluge and quit working.

BobTheBuilder

Thanks guys. Yes, I have the tester and all the notes from prior trouble shooting/repair. Just surprised that both quit.

BobTheBuilder

I am somewhat embarrassed to make this post but maybe someone else will learn from it.

When we awoke in the morning and I heard water flowing, looking in the basement it was pouring out of the top of the water heater where the hose had turned loose. After shutting of the water, I turned one of the bypass valves to see if we could isolate the water heater and have cold water until I could fix the hose. It did not but I forgot to move the valve handle back! So later in the day when I repaired the hose, I turned on the electric heating element and after a couple of hours--no hot water (it was being bypassed). The reason the propane would not come on was the water in the tank was hot! I had a couple of very busy days so we did without hot water until yesterday morning. Got out the electric meter and went through all the steps--all checked OK. Of course the element had been off for 3 days so when I tried the propane it immediately fired up and I realized I had forgotten to move the bypass valve handle back in place the morning the pipe fitting let go.

Bet I won't forget this one.