No power when unplugged from 120

danemayer

I was wondering how or why no lights in rv work when I unplug from 120v power.
Thanks, Brandon
Hi Brandon,

When plugged into shore power, the Power Converter supplies 12V to the lights whether your battery is supplying power or not. When you unplug, you're dependent on the battery. The likely cause is 1) dead battery, 2) battery cutoff switch is off, 3) 12V manual-reset circuit breaker has popped.

Here's a guide to 12V systems located in the manuals section of the forum that explains it all and has pictures and a diagnostic flow chart.

Please let us know what you find.

Last edited:

convert

Reginald Hromek
Hello Brandon. I had a similar problem recently. Behind the battery box is a buss bar for the ground. A friend of mine found all the ground wires in the bar were loose, and it appeared that some were like that for some time as the screw was welded in and could not be removed, however you could pull the wire out. This was a intermittent problem for me for about a year. Problem now solved.

Brandon

Ok the third circuit breaker down is tripped and will not reset when reset button is pushed. What should I do know?
Thanks, Brandon

danemayer

Ok the third circuit breaker down is tripped and will not reset when reset button is pushed. What should I do know?
Thanks, Brandon
If it's the small automotive circuit breaker as pictured in the doc I linked to, you can get them at most auto parts stores. Get the manual reset variety. I think the amperage should be marked on the breaker.

Before you replace it, how are you determining that it's not resetting? Did you check for voltage change at the battery while plugged into shore power?

Brandon

I found the problem, the battery has no water in it. I guess I can get it replaced under warranty? I bought a replacement so now I can have two batteries. Don't know the advantage, but it sounds good!

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
Did it ever have any water in it? Is it a sealed maintenance-free battery or one where water should have been added before using the battery?

Rickhansen

I found the problem, the battery has no water in it. I guess I can get it replaced under warranty? I bought a replacement so now I can have two batteries. Don't know the advantage, but it sounds good!

You can wire the second battery in parallel with the first one to double your 12V storage capacity, or you could add a switch to use it as a standby. If you use it as a standby, you would have to adhere to some procedure to keep the second battery charged when it is disconnected.

wdk450

If the battery has no water in it, most commonly the water was boiled away by the converter/charger providing excess charge voltage, and you probably won't get a battery warranty exchange for that. A new battery faces he same fate if the converter/charger is malfunctioning. It would be worthwhile to consult the manual for the converter/charger and test it out with a voltmeter.