Noisy as a freight train!

TxCowboy

Had a Dometic Penguin II "Quiet" AC installed over the bedroom a couple of weeks ago. It works like a champ! It'll be throwing ice cubes in no time at all. :)

And it is quiet on the outside -- you almost can't hear it running when outside the RV.

But....

It's a noisy as a freight train in the bedroom! I don't mind a little white noise but wow!

Turning the fan speed to low quiets it a bit but low fan operation isn't recommended. (Note: Manual thermostat.) Even when the compressor isn't running, the fan stays on (which is normal for a manual thermostat) and there is little reduction in noise.

I'm learning to sleep through it but I'm also concerned because we can't hear the propane and smoke alarms which are located in the rear of the RV (we have the front bedroom).

Apparently, this is considered normal?

Lynn1130

There is a thread I originated some months back where I was researching installing an air conditioner in the bedroom. What I found was pretty much what you are now experiencing. They are loud and there is no unit made right now that is quiet. I ended up putting in a Fantastic Fan with reverse, and remote control. I had talked with the service manager at the shop I use and his recommendation was "forget it" if you want quiet.

avvidclif

In mine the bedroom AC and the main AC are ducted together. In the daytime I run both for max cooling. At night I turn off the bedroom and the main AC keeps the bedroom cool with no noise.

Do you have the option of tying into the ductwork in the bedroom?

JanAndBill

In mine the bedroom AC and the main AC are ducted together. In the daytime I run both for max cooling. At night I turn off the bedroom and the main AC keeps the bedroom cool with no noise.

In ours the bedroom and coach share the same A/C duct. During the day/evening unless it's extremely hot, we set the bedroom a/c unit lower than the coach, which causes it to run more than the coach air, and keeps it quiet in the coach. Of a night we reverse it, setting bedroom air higher and turning the coach air unit down. Works good for us. There are those times when the only two choices are sweat or put up with the noise. I choose noise over sweat every time!

Westwind

When we bought our Bighorn it was on the lot and I had the dealer install a low profile Penquin 13.5K BTU in the vent hole which had factory wiring installed for a AC. It is so loud that I know my wife and I would never be able to use it and sleep in the bedroom. We have used both during the day, bedroom at night when watching TV in the living room and then put only the main AC on at night and shut off the bedroom one. This works for us. I've read a lot of complaining about the factory installed 2 AC system that is ducted also being noisy. This is really something the industry could work on, there has to be a better way.

IronJ

Yup...have a 15k dometic duotherm in my bedroom. ..sure it has 2 speeds... 2 engine jet or 4 engine jet.....take your pick!!..and if the quick cool vents are open?..hahah. ..I can't even hear my tv on max vol...

Since I have connected ducts , I do like others and run the garage and living ac when we sleep. ..it actually don't bother me, but my wife hates the noise. ..

I've NEVER had a quiet bedroom ac though. ...so if you want quiet it won't be from an ac....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Beauty of living at high altitude . . . we don't need to run the AC at night!

I'm from Michigan originally, so I know all about 90 degrees and sweaty at 3 a.m.!

IronJ

My last trip out it was 101 and 80+ % humidity.....jet ot not we had all THREE a/c going.....

Then as we were watching a movie at 11pm a storm rolled through and knocked out power...after about an hour I couldn't take it and turned the genny on...luckily the sites are easily 30 yards to next neighbors and 5ft tall brush between...so no one cared..

JohnD

My last trip out it was 101 and 80+ % humidity.....jet ot not we had all THREE a/c going.....

Then as we were watching a movie at 11pm a storm rolled through and knocked out power...after about an hour I couldn't take it and turned the genny on...luckily the sites are easily 30 yards to next neighbors and 5ft tall brush between...so no one cared..

We flew in to San Antonio a few years back at 10 p.m. in September . . . and it was like walking in to a sauna we we got off of the plane!

Here in Colorado, people whine when the humidity gets over 25%! :p

IronJ

I love colorado...we actually debated buying a second home there and keeping our old bumper pull...but we are youngish and have a small child and wanted to travel while we still have the energy...I spent last year 4th of July just outside of durango...it was "warm" but it was 110° back home...can't wait to take my daughter snowboarding!!

TxCowboy

We have the non-ducted unit in the bedroom. Optionally, I guess we could buy the interior control unit that ties into the duct work but really not interested in doing that.

Also, the ducted ACs are no quieter than the non-ducted ones.

rxbristol

We have the non-ducted unit in the bedroom. Optionally, I guess we could buy the interior control unit that ties into the duct work but really not interested in doing that.

Also, the ducted ACs are no quieter than the non-ducted ones.

I find the ducted AC much quieter than a non-ducted one, especially in the bedroom.

JohnD

I love colorado...we actually debated buying a second home there and keeping our old bumper pull...but we are youngish and have a small child and wanted to travel while we still have the energy...I spent last year 4th of July just outside of durango...it was "warm" but it was 110° back home...can't wait to take my daughter snowboarding!!

Colorado is the greatest place in the world! :cool:

Come to one of our HOC Rallies and we'll show you!

TxCowboy

I find the ducted AC much quieter than a non-ducted one, especially in the bedroom.

Can you watch television over the AC noise without waking the DW?

Our bedroom AC is so loud that I'm concerned we can't hear the propane or living room smoke detectors. It really is that loud!

kkamshop

Jeff, our bedroom AC is that loud too. In the bathroom, you can hear it rumbling in the wall cabinets. My theory is if you could put a sound dampening material between the unit and the rv framing it might reduce that vibration and some of that noise, but our installer guy didnt want to try that.

TxCowboy

Ken, that's a good suggestion. We don't have a vibration issue (that I know of) but will check that out later.

Was chatting with another guy sharing the same RV park who has the same bedroom AC setup that I do. He also says his BR AC is crazy noisy as well.

I can't see us spending the money to remove the AC and/or install a ducted air box at this point but definitely something to consider in the future, particularly as we make our short list for a full timing rig.