Norcold - Propane Use

kkeckley

We used our Toyhauler for the first time without any hookups. We put the refrigerator in LP mode, but it doesn't stay on without the house battery on. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question, but do we have to have the battery switched on for the propane to cool the refrigerator? Thank you!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The short answer is yes.
Your refrigerator is controlled by an electronic circuit board. That board requires 12 volts to operate.

Peace
Dave

wdk450

To add to Dave's reply, the 12 volts DC through the circuit board pretty much runs EVERY function of the propane (turning on/off the main propane gas, lighting the pilot light and main burner, lighting the internal lighting and status LED's) system, and running a relay to control power the 110 VAC heating elements of the refrigerator.

kkeckley

Thank you both for this very helpful information. One more question - if we were to camp for say a week with no hookup would the battery have enough power to support the refrigerator and water heater (when we need it turned on)? Thanks again!

wdk450

I would feel more comfortable in your situation having 2 batteries, and maybe giving your trailer batteries a 1 hour charge daily using jumper cables from your running truck. The charge line in the umbilical cord from the truck is limited in how much current it can supply.
You need to monitor your battery voltage regularly with a digital voltmeter, not letting the batteries go below 11 volts. Also remember, all your interior lighting in the trailer runs off the same 12 volt dc battery.

I have 2 of these in my rig - 1 wired into the tank "test" switch, and 1 on standby in the battery area for quick checks.

david-steph2018

Thank you both for this very helpful information. One more question - if we were to camp for say a week with no hookup would the battery have enough power to support the refrigerator and water heater (when we need it turned on)? Thanks again!
Circumstances can change the amount of time you have for battery power. Other items will draw the time for battery power down. Items include Co detector, radio, converter/charger to charge the batteries. You will need some method to charge up the batteries during the week to ensure you have power.

wdk450

Maybe some solar battery charging might help. Here is a 50 watt ( 4 amp ) system for $28. The 100 watt ( 10 amp) option is $102. I reccommended this for someone who was just storing their rig without charging power sources, though.

thewanderingeight

A week is a long time to run off batteries without recharging them. The amount of power needed for the initial setup of slides and jacks is going to put a nice dent in the battery. The furnace and hot water aren't drawing too much from the batteries as they just need to monitor when to turn on and off the propane supply, and need a small amount for the igniter. The lights in the RV are probably going to be your biggest draw on the batteries.

If you are trying to boondock for a week at a time, as others said, you will need some way to recharge your batteries. You don't need anything crazy if you aren't trying to run your a/c, but a combination of a few batteries with solar would be good to look into. We don't often boondock, so for our use case, we went with adding a second battery and carrying a small generator that can supply 120v when needed and charge the RV batteries through the built-in converter.