Norcold refrigerator 1210 not cooling

carl.swoyer

Thanks for your insight. As we all spend a lot of money we deserve quality not quantity. To put another norcold in doesn't seem like a good idea. I have read on this forum of people who are on their 3rd cooling unit on the norcold I'm trying to figure out what the best route would be anybody with good experience on a replacement please share that with us

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

Harry1

Re: Norcold refrfegerator 1210 not cooling

Hi Carl, thought I'd give you an update. I've decided to go with the Amish cooling unit for the Norcold 1210 refrigerator. I contacted JC Refrigeration Dutch Aire today in Shipshewana Indiana and set up an appointment at the factory for the replacement. It's a new unit with a full 3 year warranty and that covers wherever your at if you have a problem. The cooling unit is $1025 and for them to install add $300. It takes 4 hours and you can wait there or stay in the coach and watch if you'd like. They want you there by 8am and your out by noon. They know all about the issues with this refrigerator. They will go through the complete inspection of fans and total venting inspections. They said they do alot of these so they are very familiar with what needs to be done. FYI.

carl.swoyer

Harry I have an appointment at Lazy days Rv in sefner Fl on the seventh of July. If your install is complete let me know how satisfied you are.i purchased a 4.5 cube refrigerator to get by with

Carl & Christine, 2012 Landmark Rushmore, 2005 Silverado crew cab lt 8 foot bed 6.6 lly /Allison -custom dual exhaust-205000 miles !

Last edited:

mlpeloquin

Good choice. If and when mine goes, that is what I will replace my cooling unit with. There is also a Amish designed and built helium charged unit which isn't flammable like the hydrogen units.

Harry1

Will let you know Carl. I take it in on June 16. This will be the second replacement of the cooling unit on a 2014 Bighorn that's titled as a 2015. How's that speak for Norcold? Hopefully this will be the last. I can say for certain but I think their first replacement was a remanufactured unit, that's why they don't cover the replacements. The Norcold double door is a nice looking unit in an RV but buyer beware!

carl.swoyer

Thanks Harry.

carl.swoyer

Mine works and then it doesn't work and then it works and then it doesn't work the freezer seems to stay frozen but if I take it in and it's working they turn it down I'll see what happens. a horrible reputation norcold has and Heartland should take the initiative to not use such a junkie refrigerators

danemayer

Mine works and then it doesn't work and then it works and then it doesn't work the freezer seems to stay frozen but if I take it in and it's working they turn it down I'll see what happens. a horrible reputation norcold has and Heartland should take the initiative to not use such a junkie refrigerators

Ironically, your unit has a Norcold because of all the complaints about the Dometic unit that went before. As many Norcold issues have been reported, I think the number is a small fraction of what we used to see on Dometic.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Our Norcold works great. Ice cream stays frozen, I can put in a half gallon jug of water and have ice for the cooler within hours. Mine is currently set on 7 while sitting here at home. Because we are not opening and closing the door repeatedly, my thermometer is reading 34/36* consistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We had a Norcold in our previous 2013 Heartland Trail Runner and one in our 2015 Heartland Prowler.

Both worked great, although I will say that the freezer is better in the Prowler than it was in the Trail Runner.

carl.swoyer

Ironically, your unit has a Norcold because of all the complaints about the Dometic unit that went before. As many Norcold issues have been reported, I think the number is a small fraction of what we used to see on Dometic.
What?

carl.swoyer

I'm 30 days on this trip. Now I have to buy a 4.5 cube Frig to keep my food fresh. 9 hours! No open Frig #%&$@ inside temperature 54 Degrees set on NINE MIND YOU"9"

carl.swoyer

Fiftyy four degrees

carl.swoyer

People please face reality , face the facts norcold Rv refrigerators are not by any stretch of any imagination quality. PERIOD. DO TAKE TIME AND RESEARCH!

carl.swoyer

Eleven hours without opening the frig or freezer 54 Degrees in the fridge. We have been diligently making sure that any soda or beer goes through our ice cooler before putting it in the norcold. Still 54 degrees

danemayer

Eleven hours without opening the frig or freezer 54 Degrees in the fridge. We have been diligently making sure that any soda or beer goes through our ice cooler before putting it in the norcold. Still 54 degrees

Carl, you keep posting about the refrigerator not working. Maybe it's time to get it fixed/replaced and then tell everyone what you did to resolve the problem.

gwalter

Retired Colorado Chapter Leaders
I have had trouble with my 1210 also warming up. My solution was to add another fan at the top of the outside stack. It and the other 2 fans are now on a manual on/off switch and they run constantly when the fridge is on. I also added one of these to the inside and have not had problems since. Link

I was at my dealer last week and showed them what I had done and they said they have had to do the same thing on other RVs.

rhodies1

I have had trouble with my 1210 also warming up. My solution was to add another fan at the top of the outside stack. It and the other 2 fans are now on a manual on/off switch and they run constantly when the fridge is on. I also added one of these to the inside and have not had problems since. Link

I was at my dealer last week and showed them what I had done and they said they have had to do the same thing on other RVs.

Hello everyone,I need to ask this question,on the top vent on your 5thers,is it almost blocked off under the plastic vent with a piece of metal leaving approx a 1 inch opening at the top.I looked in mine and saw this thinking it was left in the opening in error during construction.I contacted Art at Heartland and he advised it must be installed in order to keep the Norcold fridge cold, by blocking the top vent off it makes a chimney effect and with the fans draws air from the bottom out the top small vent opening ,thus cooling the fins and allowing the fridge to work properly.This is only used by Norcold to eliminate cooling issues,Dometics are different.Just a suggestion to see if yours are installed,Art stated this metal stop was crucial in order for the fridge to work properly in warmer weather
Just a suggestion as to a possible issue. good luck everyone.

carl.swoyer

Dane if you have read my earlier post you'll see I have a 7 July appointment to have my refrigerator replaced. In the meantime I purchased a apartment frig to get me by. I'm a a very happy Heartland owner. It's unfortunate that we spend alot of money to do what we do. And norcold and dometic are not putting out the quality that we deserve. My problem is it works then it doesn't work. So going in July I'm thinking hotter Weather will help produce the failure. Again this post also reflects my request for opinions on a resolution. As I did post that Articcold offers an aftermarket replacement with a lifetime transferable warranty.

carl.swoyer

I have placed a fan inside the frig and an additional fan in the lower vent outside.